Daquan is transferring...

ORUalum

In addition to wasting his sophomore year playing JC ball, he will have to earn a full-fledged associates degree from Western JC in order to play his last two seasons at a D-1 school, if I'm not mistaken.

That seems MUCH less appealing to me than transferring directly to a D-1, saving your sophomore year of eligibility while sitting out the required transfer season, and using that time to get caught up - or even ahead - on your academics.

It makes me wonder if his grades were not in order - perhaps he simply couldn't qualify to enroll at another NCAA school (D-1 or D-II), and junior college was his only route beyond NAIA.

Whatever...he's gone.  Time to move on, I suppose.

at least he did not quit after 5 games.....perhaps the dumbest/head-scratching decision i've seen.

you never know who is in these kids ears.  that's probably one of the things that keeps coaches up at night.  for example i was scrolling through Joshua Parrott's feed:  June 14 -- SFA lands 3 star commit; June 15 -- same kid invited to prestigious camp and big schools showing interest; June 17 -- kid de-commits from SFA.

how would you like to try and make a living on the whims of 17-21 yr olds?

Western Texas JC?....are you kidding me?...yeah, let's move on from that guy.....but on a good note....tonight's NBA Finals Game 7 was a pleasure to watch....LeBron is a beast....:clap:

While this seems like a silly move, there seems to be a pattern developing of young players transferring. Obviously, this is an alarming trend across college basketball, but at what point do we start to question what's going on internally that such promising players feel the need to make silly moves like this?

Basically what I'm saying is this: Are all of these transfers (Jordan Kaufman, Chris Crawford, Bobby Word, Daquan, etc.) just immature moves borne out of ridiculous expectations, or is there an issue with ORU basketball/ORU athletics that drives players away?

Having degrees from other D-I institutions, I can tell you that kids transferring for whatever reason is not limited to ORU.  At my other alma maters I see the same thing.  No rhyme or reason to the outward eye.  

Sometimes you can tell that a player has a bad attitude or an issue with the coaching staff.  But most of the transfers you mentioned don't seem to fit that scenario.  Of course we don't often know the specifics of what is really happening behind the scenes.

It probably boils down to players feeling like the coach isn't using them in a way that is maximizing their potential. It can be playing time or feeling like they are playing out of position or not being featured as a primary focus of the offense, etc.

It could also be someone else convincing them there are better opportunities but then those opportunities don't materialize.  You never know what the coaches may have promised the players during the recruiting process either.  It might be impossible to keep all those promises.

33 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

You never know what the coaches may have promised the players during the recruiting process either.  It might be impossible to keep all those promises.

Interesting point. Are our coaches letting recruits know about the "lifestyle" at ORU? I know that a couple of players that have transferred recently have done it simply because of the school/rules.

I know of several instances in other sports (golf, tennis) where recruits arrive at school and are completely caught off guard by ORU's strict rules. They are unaware that they must attend chapel, cannot drink, must comply with a dress code. I was friends with a kid from Australia who was recruited to play for the tennis team but was not told about any of the rules. Needless to say, he was very upset and transferred after one semester.

3 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Interesting point. Are our coaches letting recruits know about the "lifestyle" at ORU? I know that a couple of players that have transferred recently have done it simply because of the school/rules.

I know of several instances in other sports (golf, tennis) where recruits arrive at school and are completely caught off guard by ORU's strict rules. They are unaware that they must attend chapel, cannot drink, must comply with a dress code. I was friends with a kid from Australia who was recruited to play for the tennis team but was not told about any of the rules. Needless to say, he was very upset and transferred after one semester.

What could possibly be gained from lying to a potential recruit? Lazy recruiting.

No offense but unless a kid is completely brain dead he or she has to understand they are being recruited by a school called "Oral Roberts" and realize it bills itself as a conservative Christian university.  Secondly, he or she is also invited to campus for a visit during the recruiting process.  Sorry, but it is not like we hide who we are.  Any recruit who comes here not realizing these facts has to be incredibly stupid.

• Upvote 1

Honestly....sounds like a lot of these guys ARE incredibly stupid.....Western Texas JC?.....come on......:blink:

59 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

No offense but unless a kid is completely brain dead he or she has to understand they are being recruited by a school called "Oral Roberts" and realize it bills itself as a conservative Christian university.  Secondly, he or she is also invited to campus for a visit during the recruiting process.  Sorry, but it is not like we hide who we are.  Any recruit who comes here not realizing these facts has to be incredibly stupid.

It is very unlikely kids from out of the country visit the school before signing, and there is no mention of the rules on the website unless one does significant digging. In the case of my friend from Australia, he had not visited the school and was lied to by whoever recruited him. That's not a brain dead athlete, that's a lazy coach who is creating a terrible name for our school, both externally and internally.

disappointing to hear this stuff is still going on.  i knew of a soccer player (back when men had to wear ties to class) that showed up with a wardrobe of little more than shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops.  he was never told about dress code or chapel.  other athletes had been told they could move off campus after their first year.

after more than 20 years at the helm, you would think Mike Carter would address this with his coaches.  in the long run you only end up hurting yourself if you are recruiting people under false pretenses.

• Upvote 1

Try going on the University's website which is available to anyone on the WORLD WIDE WEB.  If I am a kid looking to come here I at least take 2 minutes to look up the University's website where I will find everything about Chapel, Honor Code and whatever.  I also realize I have not been back on Campus for a little over a year.  I did not know there were bars and nightclubs on Campus.  Oh wait, there are none.  And not to beat a dead horse, but what about the Honor Code ALL sign before they start classes?

The website may explain the details but it's certainly the right thing to do for a recruiting coach from any sport to have a brief discussion of the ORU's honor code and lifestyle with a prospective athlete and his/her parents....hard to believe that it wouldn't be mentioned at all.....any coach who fails to do that should not be employed by ORU....it's a no brainer....:mellow:

Who said that our coaches are lying to or "not telling" recruits about us?   And as for being from out of this country, DaQuan Jeffries came from Edmond, Oklahoma while Chris Crawford came from right across the street at Victory Christian in Tulsa.  If you think that either one of them was miss informed or did not "know" about ORU before coming here, you need to put down the crack bowl and back away from the liquor cabinet.  A couple of years ago I spoke to one of our coaches (not Scott) about a local kid in my area who was a Christian and came from a very good Christian family.  He was All State in both basketball and football and was 6'8" and about 275 lbs. at the time.  His parents went elsewhere but his grandmother was a member of our congregation.  That coach was excited about the kid and said the staff was looking to recruit kids who were Christian, intelligent, of good moral fiber, who understood the University and had skills.   This kid fit that bill really well.  Unfortunately a P-5 school offered him a full-ride in football and he took them up on the offer.   You all in Big-12 country will get to see his skills this fall as the school that he went to red-shirted him his 1st year, put 50 lbs. on his frame in the form of muscle, and moved him to the blind-side as a tackle.  Of course his family's favorite new chant is:  "Let's Go Mountaineers!", but I digress.  The point is the staff was looking to recruit talented athletes who could fit in at ORU.  They did not "hide" anything about the University. 

Sounds to TheEagleman that this issue is probably not involving recruiting of basketball players...I guess some of the lesser sports may be hard pressed to get good talent....certainly our tennis teams both struggle.......hard to believe that Scott Sutton and his staff aren't fully communicating the ORU philosophy during the recruiting process....knowing Scott Sutton, that is never going to happen....the guys who have left the mens basketball program over the past few years have clearly left for other reasons......geez, 82....sorry we lost out on that 6-8 kid...but he will probably make a lot more $$$ playing OT in the NFL.......B)