Wade Mason to SFA

ORUalum

What the heck is going on?

House cleaning by Scott Sutton?  (fixed)

Rats jumping from (their perception of) a sinking ship? (fixed)

Fallout from assistants over the Spencer Sutton "signing"? (fixed)

Directive from on-high (Carter? Wilson?) to jump-start the staff with new blood, "or else"? (fixed)

Mere coincidence (fixed)

I gotta tell ya, I find this time of year, leading up to August, utterly fascinating:  spring recruit signings, players (and, in this case, coaches) leaving the program, mystery transfers coming in, scheduling big-time games, shifting conference affiliations, etc.

Seriously, THIS is when championships are won & lost - November to March are just when it becomes official...

Maybe a cost cutting move to ultimately have 1 less assistant coach to pay?  Brooks Thompson is available now and he would make a great head recruiting assistant coach.

6 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Maybe a cost cutting move to ultimately have 1 less assistant coach to pay?  Brooks Thompson is available now and he would make a great head recruiting assistant coach.

Brooks Thompson might not be coaching for awhile.  He was hospitalized a few weeks ago for organ failure and was fighting for his life.

Just now, ORUalum said:

Brooks Thompson might not be coaching for awhile.  He was hospitalized a few weeks ago for organ failure and was fighting for his life.

Yeah, the report yesterday is that he's home, but going to need a kidney AND liver transplant - gravely ill...

I don't see a staff shake up as a bad thing.  New blood, new energy, new perspectives -- if everyone parts on good terms it can be good for all parties.

I would like to see Chad Wilkerson get consideration for one of the open slots.

based on this tweet it sounds like Mason to SFA happened a few days ago and is just now getting out:

Prayers going up from TheEagleman for Brooks Thompson....:(

I mentioned a possible shake up in the staff a couple of times this season. I'm thinking its a good thing. After the season we just had, something has to change, and I'm not ready to see Scott go. Makes sense to change up some assistants. 

I I saw Chad Wilkerson on campus about a week ago. I would love to see him on our bench as well, especially if Kyan is leaving. I love having a former ORU player on our bench.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

I saw Chad Wilkerson on campus about a week ago. I would love to see him on our bench as well, especially if Kyan is leaving. I love having a former ORU player on our bench.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I'm sure Willie George would understand.:D

Best of luck to Wade Mason and Kyan Brown.  That was a very classy instagram post by Kyan.

I'm now being told by a couple of folks connected to the ORU program (but not in it) that this is "normal assistant coach attrition that happens this time of year".

Mason played for new SFA coach Kyle Keller in junior college, so there's a connection there as Keller completes his staff, and Kyan deciding that, after eight years at ORU and not moving "down the bench" any further (or, the whole staff leaving with Scott for greener pastures and more money), he needed to make a career decision.  The NDSU positions (if that's truly where he's headed) opened up a couple of weeks ago when two of their assistants similarly left for other jobs, including one to South Dakota State (!).

It happens, just not much at ORU under Scott Sutton, and not usually within the same week.

I'm just wondering who's going to run the Scott Sutton Basketball Camps in a little over a month:  before Kyan Brown's 8-year stint, the gig belonged to Conley Phipps' (who just finished his second year at Sapulpa High School with a surprisingly good team that made the 6A playoffs).  It's an awful lot of work, and it takes someone with an awful lot of energy.

But, on the bright side, maybe now if a Jacob Parker or Jake Bittle comes through the summer camps again, ORU will make them an offer instead of seeing them return to the Mabee Center 3 years later to make the staff regret the oversight...

Sorry to hear about Brooks Thompson's health issues.  Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Praying for Brooks Thompson and his family. 

Sorry to see Kyan Brown leave. He is a former player/alum who is a great ambassador for ORU. Kyan is always positive and reaches out to fans. I wish him well. 

It will be interesting to see who Sutton decides to hire to replace Brown and Mason. I think it would be helpful to have a former player because they can communicate the mission & history to the players. Some possibilities: Wilkerson, Ehambe, Bluitt....

How about Stokes?....would he switch over from the womens' team?.....:mellow: