Coach Brown

EagleManiac

Heard through the grapevine that Kyan Brown accepted a job at NDSU. Can anyone confirm or deny? Hoping it's a rumor but heard it from a pretty good source. Disappointing news if it's true. His presence on the bench is invaluable. His encouragement of players is a stark contrast to the scowl from coach Sutton.

If it's anything other than "lead" assistant, I'd be disappointed.

That said, he's a bright guy and has to make (what he thinks) the best decision for he and his family.

NDSU?.....if true, he had better invest in a nice warm parka......bnk6w6bvevqe7r1d.png............:rolleyes:

With recruiting the way it is I don't see ORU finishing in the Summit top 3. Still, a strange move.

TheEagleman doesn't know Kyan but hears that he is a very nice guy....Any chance he got pushed out or there was heat on him?....I mean, let's face it...it's not like we have recruited any great players out of HS in the past 5 years?....Obi was a transfer....or is this just a career move for a better opportunity and more $$$..???.....:mellow:

I hope he sticks around.  He seems like a great fit for ORU.  However, I understand if he wants to move on for a change in scenery/opportunity. 

Found this story about his recruitment to ORU.

Barrett, Brown took improbable roads to ORU

When he was pinned in the wreckage of what once had been a friend's BMW, with his pelvis and nose broken and his liver and a kidney having sustained serious lacerations, Stacy Barrett couldn't possibly have expected to eventually wind up a member of the Oral Roberts University basketball team.

When Kyan Brown was a kid in Ketchikan, Alaska, he dreamed of playing basketball at the NCAA Division I level. His mother dreamed that he'd attend ORU. Now, he's doing both.

The circumstances which led Barrett from West Memphis, Ark., to Minneapolis to ORU, and Brown from Alaska to Van Buren, Ark., to Westark Junior College to ORU, are rife with twists, but both are in the Golden Eagle camp because coach Barry Hinson had stubbornly reserved two remaining scholarships while waiting for `'kids that we felt were exactly right for our program.''

Barrett (a 6-3, 190-pound guard) and Brown (a 6-8, 245-pounder who can play power forward or center) were discovered by Eagle coaches during separate summer camps held, conveniently enough, at the Aerobics Center on the ORU campus. Both committed verbally to ORU, but there was no binding letter of intent.

It wasn't until classes began last Thursday, and after Brown listened to a last-minute recruiting bid from Baylor, that Barrett and Brown officially became scholarship players along with four other ORU newcomers -- 6-9 freshman Brandon Rabel of Wyandotte, 6-5 freshman Micah Ratzlaff from Hillsboro, Kan., 6-4 junior Reggie Tate from Connors State College and 6-5 junior Leon Irving from Carl Albert Junior College.

``This is an early assessment, but I think (Barrett and Brown) bring everything to the table that we want here at Oral Roberts,'' Hinson said. ``The recruiting process was seven days on both. We had made up our mind that we weren't going to waste scholarships on kids who didn't fit what we wanted. We decided to wait. I'm glad we did.''

Division I programs begin practice on Oct. 17, and ORU opens its second season under Hinson on Nov. 14 at TCU.

Brown played in Alaska as a high school freshman and sophomore, and his family moved to Van Buren, Ark., before his junior year. He showed promise as a right- handed pitcher and was offered a half-scholarship to play baseball at Arkansas Tech, but Brown, who had missed most of his senior basketball season because of a stress fracture in his leg, accepted an offer to play basketball at Westark. He was a backup last season as a freshman, but improved dramatical ly during the offseason. Just how much became evident during the camp he attended at ORU.

Brown has range of 12-15 feet on his jumper, and enough athleticism to put the ball on the floor and flush a reverse baseline dunk. When Hinson learned Brown had come out of high school academically qualified to attend ORU, the sales pitch began. Brown's mother, a Christian, was thrilled with the prospect of her son attending ORU, so Kyan verbally committed earlier this month. When Baylor entered with a subsequent offer, Hinson wondered how solid Brown's commitment might be.

``Baylor did want to give me a scholarship, but I had already made a promise to come to ORU,'' Brown said. ``I like the coaches here and it's close to home. I remember my mom saying when I was in high school, `A good school for you to go to would be Oral Roberts.' It all worked out, and I hope I can help the team. I'm not into bragging. I just play hard.''

An assistant coach at NDSU (Henderson) left a couple of weeks ago to take a position at SDSU. 

That's  a surprising loss for the staff. Has been the lead recruiter the last couple of years. Great guy and wish him the best.

The only thing we know is that NDSU has lost two assistant coaches. Anything else is just pure conjecture (based on a rumor) at this point.

This is not good.  We are losing the wrong assistants.  I am growing more and more uncomfortable with Sean staying while everyone else leaving.  To me that is not a good sign.  My guess is they are leaving because he is in the way of advancement.  And you can't compete with family, no matter how much talent you have.  Personally, I'd take Kyan as my head coach any day.  

Yep...this is concerning.....:(:unsure::wacko::blink:.....:eagles:

How should I say this...

While I appreciate Kyan's efforts over the past eight years, and I can vouch personally that he's a heck of a guy, I must also point out that ORU has noticeably slipped the past few years in recruiting since Cory Williams, Tom Hankins, and Chris Crutchfield were on staff.

I totally respect Kyan's decision to make a career move, especially since (as previously mentioned), it doesn't appear the "No. 1 Assistant" chair at ORU is going to be vacated the near future, not does it appear this entire staff will be moving on any time soon to greener (as in money) pastures (reason which goes back to the recruiting issue again).

Simply put, while this situation could indeed give cause for concern in terms of stability on the staff, it also presents Scott and Sean Sutton with an excellent opportunity to bring in an assistant (or two) who can frankly SIGN BETTER PLAYERS.

Critical hires. 

Can't afford to screw them up, or even worse, resort to the tired "old-buddy-with-OSU-ties" formula.

I like that explanation, OT.....Makes total sense....it's not like we have recruited any Caleb Greens, Ken Tutts, or Dominique Morrisons in the past 5-6 years....new blood might help here.....who has been making the decisions on who ORU recruits over the past few years?....is that Scott?....the staff as a whole?...or Mason and Brown?...sorry but TheEagleman has no clue how that works....how are potential recruits identified???....:mellow:

Kyan is a great asset to the program: former player, high energy/positive attitude, true ambassador for the mission of ORU. He will be missed. 

I agree with OT. This is a pretty important set of hires for the program. Hopefully we will find two assistants who fit the mission and have contacts/can recruit. I assume that we will have a healthy amount of applicants. It will be interesting to see if we reach out to a former player to fill one of the slots. If so, that person needs to have connections and be able to help upgrade our talent pool.

I wonder what impact this will have on any future (2017) recruits we are working on. 

28 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

He also said he'd heard "a couple of guys were leaving the team". 

While that fact probably comes as no surprise to most fans on this forum, the question remains:  which ones?

Almost as important (more?) - what is the effect on our APR rating if we lose 1 or 2 players?

4 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Almost as important (more?) - what is the effect on our APR rating if we lose 1 or 2 players?

Time to move that conversation to the "2016-2017 Roster" thread...