Homecoming 2016

oruvoice

33 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

moving homecoming to the fall makes sense, but to not have an athletic event tied to the weekend is strange.

When they first moved Homecoming to the fall I thought it made sense too, but I have slowly changed my mind.

1) Travel. Our alumni are scattered across the country, not scattered throughout the region as with most other universities. With homecoming coming just before the holidays, expensive travel plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas take precedence over a weekend trip to Tulsa.

2) The basketball game. Either we don't get a game (2015 and now 2016), or we play sloppy early-season basketball that no casual observer finds entertaining, against a (most likely) no-name who no casual observer cares about.

3) A lot has been made about the weather in late February. Outside of a few years at the end of the "spring homecoming" era, was weather ever really a major factor?

4) Have we seen notable increases in attendance since moving it to the fall?

Homecoming should conclude with a meaningful athletic event to bring out school spirit in alumni. I just don't see the merit in sacrificing this crucial part of homecoming for minor conveniences. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can set me straight.

• Upvote 1

I think homecoming toward the end of February makes more sense.  I am not sure why they ever changed it in the first place.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

I think homecoming toward the end of February makes more sense.  I am not sure why they ever changed it in the first place.

Dr Gillen

I guess my hopes were dashed. Although I have to question why we signed a game contract before knowing when Homecoming was scheduled. I think this is a week later than previous Homecoming dates - the lack of communication/indifference is disappointing. I hope our Alumni Board members will bring this matter up with the Administration. 

• Upvote 1

HEY ORU ADMINISTRATORS.....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!...........:puke:

If we had a football team I could understand having a Fall Homecoming.  Fact is, we do not.  If I return to campus I always love to take in an athletic event, and I do not mean women's field hockey or the school's rowing team.  Sorry, I like to watch the school's major athletic teams compete.  For me, it does renew my school spirit.  Oral had it right when he realized that athletics is a great way to go into the living rooms of a lot of homes that would otherwise not pay any attention to the school's message/mission.  Also, as I stated previously, I hold degrees from other institutions that also field major athletics and if I go for homecoming, I do attend the football games.  If the administration continues along this present course of no basketball, it will be a long time before I ever attend a homecoming again.

TheEagleman is not able to attend but a basketball game is a HUGE part of the Homecoming experience...sounds like the current administration has lost touch with some of the reasons why Oral made athletics such a huge part of the ORU experience...he also understood how getting headlines in sports translated into publicity for the university, the ministry and the name of Jesus.....I had conversations with OR about just that topic back in the 70's when I worked for the Oracle and he inspired me as a young student ....and this was BEFORE ESPN put sports on the front burner over the past quarter century......these guys on The Hill should be ashamed of themselves.....if they continue to devalue athletics at my alma mater it will change a lot about how I view ORU....i have heard rumors and had people tell me that this Wilson guy and some others could care less about ORU athletics but this is ridiculous.....this guy should never have been hired....today, I am severely disappointed....I am tempted to start a fund to collect monies and hire a plane to fly over South Tulsa with the message....BILLY MUST GO!!!!......again......BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!    :eagles:

Interesting item here on a somewhat related topic:

Begs the question:  considering this generation's general apathy regarding sports in general, and team sports in particular, does today's college student really care about intercollegiate athletics, outside of Power 5 football schools?

To tie this in a little bow for this topic, do you suppose ANY current ORU students are all that upset about the homecoming changes?  And how many alumni, for that matter?

Homecoming without a school's foremost athletic team hosting a game isn't a "homecoming" at all. It's just a collection of meetings and fundraisers.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Bad Blood said:

Homecoming without a school's foremost athletic team hosting a game isn't a "homecoming" at all. It's just a collection of meetings and fundraisers.

Bingo.

While I think the homecoming decision is short sighted, it is important to remember that ORU as a university is very healthy under the current leadership and has grown 70-100 students every year for the last 7-8 years.  The enrollment has grown from 3100-3200 or so to around 3800 during that time.  Also the last college weekend was one of the largest ever and some of the departments were running out of all the printed materials they had because the level of student interest was greater than expected.  

Just a few thoughts about the current administration to help balance out the homecoming related negativity.

Fiddlesticks.....#&*%#@&%*#!!!!!!.....TheEagleman still believes that sports are an integral part of the college experience....but if the current administration and student body don't care and most of us alumni from the "good ol days" are dying off....then maybe they should just save the money and get rid of sports all together.....if the bottom line is what's most important then I get it and I appreciate that after almost going under a decade ago, ORU is now on firm financial footing....besides, it's embarrassing to turn on the TV and see about 1500 bodies in the seats for a men's basketball game at Mabee Center which has a capacity of over 10,000.....frankly, that is sickening.....but this is reality.....:puke:

45 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

While I think the homecoming decision is short sighted, it is important to remember that ORU as a university is very healthy under the current leadership and has grown 70-100 students every year for the last 7-8 years.  The enrollment has grown from 3100-3200 or so to around 3800 during that time.  Also the last college weekend was one of the largest ever and some of the departments were running out of all the printed materials they had because the level of student interest was greater than expected.  

Just a few thoughts about the current administration to help balance out the homecoming related negativity.

A great deal of the growth came from decisions made by, and programs put in place by Dr. Rutland, coupled with money from the Green family, and had nothing to do with the current administration. 

Regarding the ill-advised homecoming decision - people vote not only with their feet, but with their checkbook as well.

+1 for dbl78.....Dr. Rutland from all accounts was a Prez who understood and supported Athletics at ORU....it was even mentioned here that he was always seen at a lot of the games.....sounds like Billy the W is not heard or seen at any ORU sporting events......OR would not be pleased......I guarantee it......:eagles:

55 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

+1 for dbl78.....Dr. Rutland from all accounts was a Prez who understood and supported Athletics at ORU....it was even mentioned here that he was always seen at a lot of the games.....sounds like Billy the W is not heard or seen at any ORU sporting events......OR would not be pleased......I guarantee it......:eagles:

The exact opposite actually. I see him at almost every sporting event I attend, including baseball and soccer. I agree with Jason. I like the direction he's taking our university. I just wish he supported the athletic department a little more.

Then TheEagleman stands corrected....nice that Billy goes to the games but not so nice that he's not into financially supporting the teams.....I understand that ORU is limited in that area because all of our sports and not generating that much revenue so it's really coming from student fees/tuition and corporate sponsors.....I also understand that things were different 40 years ago when I was a student and Oral had tons of money coming in from donors and the men's basketball team put an average of 8500 in Mabee Center every game....but it still makes me sad.....I guess like Troy Aikman in the commercial....TheEagleman dwells in the past......:mellow:

Nobody at the school understands the concept of branding...It is amazing to me. I have spoken with numerous ORU people about this and they look at me with a glazed expression.

You can't fix stupid.

• Upvote 1