Homecoming 2016

oruvoice

I got a notice in the mail about Homecoming 2016. It is the weekend of November 10th-12th.

Which got me to thinking...who will be our opponent that Saturday? A "nearby" rival???

Very possible, Voice.....St. Gregory's???....:P

Funny guy!

Just thinking out loud...if it were a school that is close by that brings lots of fans, coupled with our normal homecoming crowd, we could have our first sell-out in quite some time. Having 10,000+ in the building would sure make for a fun atmosphere. Plus, if we pre-sold lots of tickets to our homecoming people, that would put the majority of the other teams fans in the upper deck.

Didn't we have this same conversation two years ago?

Alas, the combo "TU/Homecoming" game on November 15th, 2014 was nowhere near "10,000+" (announced at 6,534), for a number of reasons:

1.  College football weekend.

2.  TU fans no longer come to the Mabee Center in droves, expecting to celebrate big Hurlicane victories like they used to, since the rivalry has become so competitive.

3.  ORU students did not turn out en masse, since no Suzy Snowflake was crowned at halftime.

If ORU must play TU (and as you know, I would prefer they didn't), might as well save the Mayor's Cup for another Saturday and push that crowd over 5K; and play somebody/anybody else for Homecoming on 11/12 to guarantee at least another 5K for that game, too.

Otherwise, doing the "TU/Homecoming" combo only bumps you (based on recent history) to the 6-7K realm, with bleak prospects on any other night in November or December to draw anything near 5K for a game.

Well, I am "assuming" that this time it would be a "real" homecoming, with Suzy Snowflake getting her crown. Thus, a strong student turnout.

Then, promote the heck out of it to alumni. And, also promote it thru group ticket sales/opening night promo (PSO night since they sponsor the Cup) to the public.

Make a BIG push to "pack the house".

As a dude once said...you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not.

16 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Well, I am "assuming" that this time it would be a "real" homecoming, with Suzy Snowflake getting her crown. Thus, a strong student turnout.

Then, promote the heck out of it to alumni. And, also promote it thru group ticket sales/opening night promo (PSO night since they sponsor the Cup) to the public.

Make a BIG push to "pack the house".

As a dude once said...you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not.

College football match-ups for your consideration on November 12, 2016:

Tulsa @ Navy (could be huge AAC game; Navy was really good this year)

Baylor @ Oklahoma (needs no explanation)

Texas Tech @ Oklahoma State (Poke fans will represent in Stilly)

LSU @ Arkansas (they don't much like each other)

Early attendance prediction if ORU plays TU on that date:  4,999 (announced).

Playing the Mayor's Cup after college football's regular season is something that OT and I actually agree on. But as long as non-athletic folks get to make that call, it is going to stay in its current slot

I don't think it's a crappy idea. But usually combining two of your biggest promotions into one mega promotion doesn't pan out and most people leave unhappy

So we are agreed.....St. Gregory's comes to Mabee Center for Homecoming.....with Tabor or Haskell as the backup plan.....:eagles:

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard that the November 10-12 Homecoming weekend will not include a home basketball game.  While I find this personally disappointing, a snub to visiting alumni, and a missed opportunity for a nice crowd at Mabee Center - I'm hopeful that it means that we are playing in a solid opening weekend tourney or against a meaningful opponent.  If the opening weekend is against a "yawner" on the road without a major payday, it will add another item to the ever-growing list of head-scratching inquiries regarding mid-major scheduling. 

Personally, I am not happy with Homecoming in early November.  As an alum who has to travel over 1,000 miles to get to Tulsa, when/if I come for Homecoming I want to be able to attend a great game with a recognizable opponent.  I have degrees from other institutions and go to Homecomings that do involve a great matchup for the football team.  I would like to see a great game for the Golden Eagles basketball teams, both Men and Women, when on Campus.  Just my $0.02, but for me, our Homecoming as it now appears is a turn off and a good reason not to go to Tulsa.

• Upvote 1

No basketball game on Homecoming weekend????.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would be interested to hear the story behind this. I suspect it is a  case of miscommunication. I hope it is not a case of indifference.

Add this to the list of disappointing moves from ORU's current administration regarding athletics. From what I have seen and heard, success in athletics is of very little importance right now. 

Homecoming without an athletic event to cheer for kills school pride.

From what little I've heard, the decision was made arbitrarily "on the hill" with little-to-no regard for whether a basketball game could be played that weekend or not.

Kind of a "if Athletics can make a game happen, fine, but if not, that's fine too: we're gonna have our banquets/concerts/fundraising pitches/etc. regardless, because this is the date that suits us" attitude from the brass.

And if I'm not mistaken, Athletics was NOT able to make it happen that weekend because both the men and the women had already signed contracts for road games.

If I have those facts wrong, someone please let me know; I heard this in passing at a meeting on campus.

moving homecoming to the fall makes sense, but to not have an athletic event tied to the weekend is strange.