NCAA Academic Progress Rate results released

Old Titan

The NCAA has released the Academic Progress Rate (APR) results for Division-1 in 2014-15, and it's definitely a mixed bag for ORU men's basketball.

On the plus side, ORU's 4-year average of 949 is comfortably above the 930-point threshold used to determine penalties such as post-season ineligibility (as are all nine schools in the Summit League). 

Still, ORU's average is well below the national average of 964 for D-1 men's basketball, the 965 score for non-football schools, and the 970 average for private colleges only. 

ORU now ranks dead last in the Summit League, with IPFW leading the way at 995, followed by Denver (985), NDSU and SDSU (975), IUPUI (971), Omaha (958), South Dakota (952), and Western Illinois (951).

Also, ORU checked in at an alarming 917 for the 2014-15 school year, which will no doubt be a real albatross when figuring the average for the next three seasons.

Another year like that figuring into the formula could spell serious trouble; and ORU's chronic roster turnover the past couple of seasons certainly isn't helping the situation.

Here's hoping they're already out in front of the curve this year, and we will see a better score next spring for this current academic year.

Otherwise.... :doh:

NCAA Academic Progress Rate press release - 4/20/16

NCAA APR Search Page

Wonder how a situation like Chris Crawford figures into those numbers?......:mellow:

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Also, ORU checked in at an alarming 917 for the 2014-15 school year, which will no doubt be a real albatross when figuring the average for the next three seasons.

Wilson??

If you are insinuating that Billy Wilson is to blame for the men's basketball APR, I would say that doesn't make any sense.  Scott Sutton and to a lesser degree Mike Carter would be the somewhat responsible parties.  The players are honestly the main responsible parties, especially in a Chris Crawford like situation.

8 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

If you are insinuating that Billy Wilson is to blame for the men's basketball APR, I would say that doesn't make any sense.  Scott Sutton and to a lesser degree Mike Carter would be the somewhat responsible parties.  The players are honestly the main responsible parties, especially in a Chris Crawford like situation.

Drew. (kicked off / suspended from that team)

Word, Singleton, and Billbury all transferred to D1 schools -- i think you have to be in good academic standing to do so

Lee -- went JUCO, i'm assuming grades were not an issue

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to the father of a 2017 recruit this weekend; he said Coach Sutton himself is involved in recruiting his son, so there has been no drop-off in communication (at least not yet).

He also said he'd heard "a couple of guys were leaving the team". 

While that fact probably comes as no surprise to most fans on this forum, the question remains:  which ones?

As I mentioned in another thread - if this is correct, it could obviously have impact on our future APR rating depending on the circumstances of their departure.

3 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

As I mentioned in another thread - if this is correct, it could obviously have impact on our future APR rating depending on the circumstances of their departure.

Well, unless one of them is Dairian Harris, who graduated early - that wouldn't hurt if he left, would it?