Game Attendance & Participation Discussion

74Titan

To start with, let's ask ourselves this question, "Who is the biggest fanbase for ORU, currently in Tulsa?" The answer is: ORU alumni. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of ORU alumni living in the greater Tulsa area. I've not seen much-if anything-done to tape into this, potentially, goldmine of fans. I'm well aware that not everyone is a basketball fan, period, much less on of ORU. Still, why not get some savvy (as in 30 years-old or younger) marketing minds together (too late for a class project for this year) and create incentives for alumni to attend both men's and women's games (the women really deserved better support this year with what they went through). Here're some suggestions:

1. Do a better job of utilizing the Eagle Card. For a $25.00 annual fee alumni get into the library, the Prayer Tower, and Aerobics Center. Most study materials can be found online, the Prayer Tower isn't a frequent stop, and how many (Eagle) card-carrying alumni actually use the AC? For that same $25.00 annual fee, allow alumni to get discounts on season tickets, as well as individual games. Paying $15.00 for a men's game this year was a bit much, considering that they lost too often, and I was charged an additional $ 3.00 per purchase-whether one ticket, or more. Not enough value for my wife and I to attend on a regular basis. What if the Mabee Center ticket office agreed to discount card-carrying alumni by 30-50 %? A better response would be a given, in my opinion. Look at it this way: a half-priced ticket is better than none, which has been the case for some tim

2. Develop more partnership with local/regional businesses. Offer bulk discounts for, say, 10 or more tickets. I'm aware of this being done in at least one instance, but much more can be done in this area. Businesses get a discount (and a tax write off), employees come at a more reasonable price, and their kids might get "hooked" on one day coming to ORU. It's time to see the big picture of what's available to ORU, right here in Tulsa/Tulsa county/ Northeastern Oklahoma. ORU is using social media to inform alumni and friends of various events. Why not do the same for athletic events? For both basketball teams, not just the guys. 

It's time to either think more outside of the proverbial box or involve people who can get the job done, with someone writing checks for them to see it through.

• Upvote 2

$15 is pretty steep for a mediocre mid major basketball game. I spend less than that for resale tickets to Thunder games. We've got to place more importance on getting fans into the arena than just finding the price point that maximizes ticket revenues. 

A discount to card holding alumni gives more incentive to hold an Eagle card, as well as attend games. Win-win situation.

• Upvote 1

I am starting a new thread to contain the discussion about how to increase involvement at ORU basketball games and other sporting events. I moved the posts from the Oakland Game thread.

Please feel free to post your ideas and thoughts here.

Seems like basketball attendance and enthusiasm has gone in the dumper since we lost Mike Minyard to Liberty U.......:mellow:

• Upvote 1

Here are some of my thoughts - which people have mentioned previously and others that have been attempted:

• Open the seating up. Move people into the sight lines of cameras. Close the blue seats off
  • Have Mike C. give a notice after the first media time out for people to move down to open seats.
  • Increase ticket give away's - or at least lower costs seats for alumni, churches, etc.
  • Continue working with SA to increase student involvement
  • Continued outreach by the coaching staff/players to the student body and community

Frankly, the most important thing is for the product on the court to get better. Winning and exciting basketball will help a lot.

5 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Seems like basketball attendance and enthusiasm has gone in the dumper since we lost Mike Minyard to Liberty U.......:mellow:

This.....

• Upvote 1