College Basketball Transends Athletics

dbl78

Those of us who attended ORU in the 70's and early 80's understand the tremendous impact that the basketball program had on the school, and how it could be used to boost the school in the future. The following link is to a letter written to Steven F Austin coach Brad Underwood by a student.  In my opinion, it does an excellent job of communicating the very things that were experienced by the ORU students who had the opportunity to attend ORU in the early days, but more importantly, what future students could experience. Here's the link: Letter to Brad Underwood 

That's great stuff, 78.....TheEagleman agrees with you 100%...I made my decision to attend ORU after visiting the campus in 1971 and attending a basketball game at the old HRC....I was pretty much set on staying in Philly and going to Temple U. until that visit....the exciting basketball game and the atmosphere of a packed arena and the Christian university changed my decision....the whole time I was at ORU (1972-76) basketball was king....most of the games packed Mabee Center or close to it....all the games were well attended by most students and ORU was a national power and played at a high level....I probably wouldn't enjoy attending ORU much today because of the lack of interest in sports at the school.......such a shame....:mellow:

What a fantastic letter!

Speaks very highly to SFA's culture, Brad Underwood's excellence, and that young man's maturity.