Coaching Carousel (2016)

ORUTerry

Would Scott Sutton apply at Valpo?  Lots of respect between the two camps; would probably have to take a pay cut, but would be a step up in national perception, and a better stepping stone down the road if he succeeds there.

Nagy taking the Wright State job is a real mystery to me.  He should hire an assistant who has significant Ohio connections and knows the Ohio High School/AAU circuit, otherwise he will need a miracle on the recruiting trail.

SDSU message board reporting that Nagy will get something upwards of 500K at Wright State, with a five-year contract; the thinking is that SDSU only countered something like $350K, which is also what they're rumored to be willing to spend on the new guy (Nagy was making $225K previously). 

Names being mentioned for SDSU include Ryan Miller, a UNLV assistant who played college ball for Jackrabbit D-2 rival Northern State back in the 90's, and Tom Billeter, who just won the D-2 national championship at Augustana University in Sioux Falls.

I can't imagine they won't get some surprising names that apply out of the blue, who recognize SDSU and it's cozy conference tournament deal for what it is:  a tremendous stepping stone to a much bigger job.

Bryce Drew To Vandy**

Disappointed for our league that SDSU couldn't keep Nagy. They must be bringing in a ton of money from that program. I'm amazed they couldn't find some more money for him. 

• Upvote 2

Dayton newspaper reports that Nagy is getting $2.5 million over 5 years or $500,000 per year.  He was somewhere around $225 at SDSU.  In order to match the Wright State offer we would also have to come up with similar raises for the women's basketball and the football coaches who are in the same currently salary bracket and have had arguably greater success.  Fans hate to see Nagy leave but feel he has left the team in excellent position to attract a very good new coach.  So there is a lot of tentative optimism at this point.  There are some interesting names being tossed around but all just rumors at this point.

No offense, but if SDSU is going to offer a new coach about the same Nagy was getting and ask them to come to South Dakota, I have a hard time believing that you guys will land an "interesting name".

I'd imagine you guys will end up with a current SDSU assistant or a low level/mid-major assistant, from the Dakota/Minnesota/Nebraska, region.

• Upvote 1

gotta say i'm surprised that SDSU fans seem fine losing a proven winner at the D1 level.  ask TU about thinking it was a system and they could plug and play any coach and continue to win at a high level.

having Nagy gone is good for the rest of the league......now let's get SDSU's WBB coach hired away.......i hope he feels underpaid as well.:D

Next SDSU Mens Basketball Coach....Yukon Cornelius is so hip. After Urban Woodsman: Urban Prospector..........:jackrabbit:

• Upvote 1

...and he brings with him a new 7-5 center......The Bumble and Yukon Cornelius from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

• Upvote 1

If I knew I had Mike Daum for the next 2-3 years, and would be playing my conference tournament every year in front of 5K+ hometown fans, I would take that job, regardless of the salary...

...but, I would do it just to get my next job in 2-3 years, not for the long haul.

I have to think that some 'power' conference schools are discretely contacting Daum to see if he is interested in transferring - a la Green & Tutt when they had great freshmen years at ORU. It's dirty, but it does happen. Let's hope (for SDSU's sake) that he rebuffs contacts. 

I agree with OT - a lot of people will be interested in the job given the current set up. Especially since it could or propel them to a higher paying/better job. 

Daum was interviewed on a local TV station and said we was staying at SDSU.  Word on the message boards/on the street is that none of the players are looking to move other than those announced prior to the coaching change.  I realize that things can change, but he seems very intent on staying at SDSU.  You may have read he was recently named one of 25 players to watch next year and a freshmen all american.  

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/stars-college-basketball-2016-2017/story?id=38153309

http://thesummitleague.org/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/20160406hr0qyk

Gotta agree with OT on this one, if I have Daum for the next couple or three years and the conference tourney in my back yard, I am not leaving for an additional $200+K, and certainly not to the bottom of the food chain Wright State.  However, give me 2 more consecutive "Big Dance" appearances with maybe a win or 2 and I will double that $500k offer from Wrong State into something at a much better program.  I also agree that SDSU needs to seriously raise their coaching salaries.

Reports indicate that Josh Pastner is close to signing a deal to move from Memphis to Georgia Tech. It could be finalized on Friday. 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Reports indicate that Josh Pastner is close to signing a deal to move from Memphis to Georgia Tech. It could be finalized on Friday. 

I doubt Tiger fans would be to upset about that. Pastner is a great recruiter... but not a great in-game coach.