Coaching Carousel (2016)

ORUTerry

Carlson and Tramel......delusional much???  floating Sean to OSU as assistant or director of basketball ops for Underwood.

I'm sure Underwood just can't wait to wade into the middle of that feud.

http://newsok.com/article/5487303

Ummm.....why?

At best, a lateral move for someone his age. 

Perfect situation at SDSU right now, in terms of having a great chance of making the tournament every year.

Has to just be a ploy to get a raise.

Right?

Have you been to South Dakota - in the winter?

Actually, he has a nice gig at SDSU and with returning players and recruits, should be the favorite to win the league next year. Maybe Wright State pays more

Have you been to Wright State?  It's on the outskirts of Dayton, OH, which is truly an armpit of a city.

There are worse things than living in the frozen Badlands:  living in the frozen Rust Belt.

Why would you want to go to a program that is one of 13 D-I programs in the State and ranks at the bottom along with Youngstown State and Cleveland State.  You will also be the "other" program in Dayton behind UD.

Nagy is a Dakota guy. Was an assistant at SDSU 90-93 and then became head coach in 1995. He also shepherded the transition to D1. I could see him staying until he retires.

According to one poster on the SDSU message board, Nagy "went down and met with the players", but it doesn't say who's players (SDSU or WSU).

Would imagine this thing will play out in the next 24 hours:  either he leaves for more money, or coaxes a raise out of SDSU and stays.

interesting....

SDSU would be stupid to not pony up the money to keep Nagy.

Nagy would be stupid to leave Mike Daum and a home conference tournament for a job like Wright St.  He will parlay Daum and multiple NCAA appearances for an even better job.  (devil's advocate -- of course, i'm sure that was the same thinking Scott Sutton had when he was turning down jobs w/Tutt and Green)

bad move by SDSU if they failed to match the Wright St money...

It must have been $.  Otherwise it makes no sense.  Wright St is not a step up in any way.  He will have a much tougher road to the NCAA now.

Either Wright State offered a ton of money, which they never seemed to have before, or SDSU never stepped up to the plate, and I seriously doubt Wright State offered that much of a difference.  Like Cleveland State, Wright State is basically an overgrown commuter college.  Really bad move if he takes it.

For some reason, Nagy has been trying to get out of Brookings for several seasons; applying for jobs all over the map.

Don't understand it, but this has "I-want-out-of-here-right-NOW" written all over it.

It been said that he would make around 400K if he would go to Wright State. He is currently making a little over 200K at SDSU. 

a state school can't find 200k anywhere in their budget to match that offer?  little ole ORU pays more than that WSU reported number and finished 7th in the league.

it will be interesting to find out if it was about money or like OT suggests, Nagy was just ready to move on.  if this simply was an unwillingness to pay, someone might want to clue in their AD and President that they are playing D1 basketball now.

He will go from being a "big fish in a small pond" to not even being a "minow" in an ocean.  Good luck trying to recruit against 12 other D-I programs in Ohio as well as Ball State, IPFW, IUPUI, Butler, Purdue, Indiana, Louisville, WKU, Kentucky, Morehead State, Marshall, WVU, Pitt, Duquesne, Michigan, Michigan State, Eastern Michigan, Detroit, Western Michigan and Notre Dame all recruiting your backyard as well.  The Jacks should have ponied up an additional $200k and threw in some more $$$ for his staff.  I live in Ohio and have an idea what he will face.  Really bad move!  All of the above named schools are as close if not closer to Wright State than the nearest schools to SDSU.  I forgot mentioning NKU, Oakland, Valpo and Indiana State in that group.

This has to be a blow for SDSU.....:jackrabbit:....from watching their program over the past decade they along with NDSU always seemed to be onward and upward and that fan base is rabid...it will be interesting to hear what the Jacks fans have to say...I hope a few of them come on our board and give us some inside info.....this is a very surprising move for a team that looked to be the favorite again in 2016-17.....and they still will be....wonder if the Jacks hire from within?...I guess if they are going the cheap route they probably will.....TheEagleman agrees that they should have ponied up for Nagy....there must have been some level of dissatisfaction on his part.....that's the only explanation to leave Brookings for Wright State.....:blink:

I'm not sure this is a done deal yet:  no other college basketball writers have jumped on it, and even the Argus-Leader in Sioux Falls is simply reporting this morning what ESPN said last night, not their own sources.

Jeff Goodman, the college basketball guy at ESPN who broke this story, is notorious for stealing other breaking news and then reporting them as coming from "ESPN sources".  It would be ironic if on this story, where he is in fact the first one out of the gate for a change, ends up blowing up in his face if Nagy stays.