Coaching Carousel (2016)

ORUTerry

So far, the following schools have decided to part ways with their head coach:

Cornell

Stanford

James Madison

TCU

more to follow.... (including Oklahoma State?)

27 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

So far, the following schools have decided to part ways with their head coach:

Cornell

Stanford

James Madison

TCU

more to follow.... (including Oklahoma State?)

Also...

San Francisco

Pacific

Denver (filled today by Tony Billups, DU alum and Colorado asst)

Central Florida

Texas-San Antonio (OSU alum Brooks Thompson gone)

St. Louis

Rutgers

Southern Utah (how's that move from the Summit League workin' out for ya?)

Santa Clara

Drexell

Wow... I missed a lot. And some of them I knew/heard about.

Sorry to see that Brooks Thompson got the axe.

Tough way to make a living.

TCU hires Jamie Dixon away from Pitt.... never saw that coming. TCU has historically been a coaching graveyard. He played basketball at TCU from 1984 to 1987 - so there is a connection.

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

TCU hires Jamie Dixon away from Pitt.... never saw that coming. TCU has historically been a coaching graveyard. He played basketball at TCU from 1984 to 1987 - so there is a connection.

This is a direct "keeping up with the Joneses" move predicated by SMU's success with Larry Brown.

TCU has risen to the challenge to become competitive in football in the Big XII, and they are raking in a lot of money in that league that they never had before.  They will make every effort to raise the bar in basketball, as well - at any cost.

P.S.  Speaking of raising the bar, Jamie Dixon's hire at TCU adds to a growing list of "name" coaches in the Big XII:  Bill Self, Tubby Smith, Lon Kruger, Bob Huggins, Shaka Smart, and now Dixon.

This could mean OSU will eschew the obvious choices of Brad Underwood at SFA or Chris Beard at UALR, and instead go "all in" on a more well-known name, such as Gregg Marshall from Wichita State or Buzz Williams from Virginia Tech. Much pressure at this stage on Holder to "win the press conference"!

My dark horse candidate at OSU?  Ben Jacobson from Northern Iowa.  Just strikes me as a Holder "guy".

John Holcomb not the sort to go out on a limb on something like this, unless he has the goods (unlike his "Oklahoma Sports Blitz" compadre Dean Blevins)...

after the Ford contract debacle, they might not have the big money available that it would take to land a Marshall or Williams.

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

My dark horse candidate at OSU?  Ben Jacobson from Northern Iowa.  Just strikes me as a Holder "guy

After how he mismanaged the end of that game I would pass.

Geez, OSU, I realize you want to get out in front on this thing, but you couldn't let the guy publicly resign from SFA first??

The Big 12 just got even more scary, trading Travis Ford and Trent Johnson for Jaime Dixon and Brad Underwood. Great hires for both OSU and TCU.

Steve Alford GIVES BACK the one year contract extension he earned a couple seasons ago after UCLA's disappointing 15-17 year, saying he wants to earn it back. Odd move, but it surely won over the Bruin faithful. 

TCU is going all in on the basketball hire with Dixon. They just built brand new gym and really pushing $$ into the program. Good move for Dixon as a lot of $$ and no pressure. Heard Pitt was ready for him to leave and they are looking to try to get Miller from Dayton.

Good choice for OSU and they moved really quickly and he will be a big upgrade from Ford. Get ready for some jucos and very hard nosed players.

Not sure they would have had the $$ for Marshall as he is making around $3 million per year. Although he would have been VERY interested in that job. Wonder what he will end up doing as loses those seniors and he is ready to make the jump. I don't think he comes across well in job interviews as known to have a pretty big ego and a little abrasive but he can flat out coach and is a winner for sure.

Underwood looks like a great coach to me....the things he did for basketball at a small football school like SFA was amazing.....great hire for OSU because Ford was a disaster......:blink:

The thing is - Ford can really recruit. He has/had three 4-star recruits coming into Oklahoma State next year. Terrible bench though.

A school should hire him with the proviso that he have a strong assistant coach that serves as the bench coach. Not sure if that would ever work though. Maybe that is what James Dickey was supposed to be at OSU.

Interesting story about how Mike Holder reached out to the Sutton family as part of the recent search for a new basketball coach at Oklahoma State.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/during-process-osu-s-mike-holder-had-wonderful-meeting-with/article_47cd6d46-4bf7-54d5-9d8a-196fa80ca2be.html

33 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Interesting story about how Mike Holder reached out to the Sutton family as part of the recent search for a new basketball coach at Oklahoma State.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/during-process-osu-s-mike-holder-had-wonderful-meeting-with/article_47cd6d46-4bf7-54d5-9d8a-196fa80ca2be.html

also interesting that none of them showed up to the press conference....

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Glad to hear that Scott and Sean were busy recruiting....

I don't care if they were sitting home watching "Judge Judy" - I think it would have been weird if they HAD been there.

Celebrating a rival in your profession getting a job that one of the Suttons once had, and that the other no doubt covets?

Wish Underwood well, I suppose, then tell him to put ORU back on the schedule and quit ducking the Golden Eagles like his predecessor did for seven years.