Postseason 2016

Old Titan

Bryce Drew may be on his way to either Georgia Tech or Vanderbilt once the Crusaders run is over, barring his parents' health issues keeping him at Valpo.

GW drubs Valpo in the NIT final tonight, 75-60.....was this the final game for Coach Drew?....:mellow:

Embarrassing night for OU....too much Nova.....and the Sooners just plain quit....only 9 points for Buddy....a very sad performance and TheEagleman had OU to win it all in his office pool....this drubbing costs me some serious $$$....:o

Villanova shot 71% for the game :o

Maybe an even more incredible performance than Villanova's 1985 Championship Game 78% shooting vs Georgetown, since that was pre-shot clock and three-point line.

that nothing has happened to NC over their no show/no work AA studies courses is a joke.  i hope Nova rolls to victory.....hate that their are different rules for the big schools.

• Upvote 1

Nova I believe is the best team in the tourney. I also believe they have the best coach. Great ball movement and pick and roll. The team's desire to get better is something that ORU could utilize. We are not even close in our team and coach desire. They needed to watch the WNIT for desire and coaching. South Dakota was a beauty to behold. I love ORU but we have lost the fire. Just my opinion. Maybe time for adjustment? I am not calling for a new coach but I am calling for some introspective and soul searching on both the players and coaching. We have some excellent talent coming for next year and we can do better than the past couple of years. You want fans in the stands produce an attitude of winning. (Big man camps over the summer)  I believe we have the talent but do we have the desire. I am looking at this glass half full.

+1 for Grad...all great points....our team is underachieving.....Nova is a hard working bunch that plays "Philly basketball"...they grind on defense and play with full intensity. Archidiacano is one heck of a kid...a leader on and off the court....and Jay Wright is a fine man in all respects....good family man and a wonderful coach....he is never a phony like the UNC coach whose name I won't even mention....Nova will win Monday night....this is a revenge game for UNC knocking them out twice over the past few years....by the way, my wife went to HS with Coach Wright...he was a fine guard back in the late 70's early 80's in suburban Philadelphia....he played college ball at Bucknell.....go Cats!....:D

I can't help but wonder if OU was simply not prepared for Villanova because the Sooners lost TWO assistant coaches this week to other D-1 head coaching jobs.

Had to be a distraction in terms of scouting; OU seemed to be caught completely by surprise by just about everything Nova did.

Greatest championship game ever? Back and forth, great plays, best finish ever. What a fun game to watch. 

So disappointed that Villanova three went in. If the game goes to overtime and UNC wins, that Marcus Paige shot becomes maybe the most iconic shot in college basketball history. It's now overshadowed by the Villanova victory. Heck of a finish though. 

• Upvote 1

Are you kidding me?....disappointed that the last 3 by Jenkins went in?....greatest finish in championship game history since 1983 when NC State won on a buzzer beater over Houston....Nova deserved it after having beaten Iowa, Miami, Kansas, OU and UNC in their final five games.....UNC played their hearts out but the right team won this game....the Cats are a true "team".....and Roy Williams crying at his post game presser was priceless....TheEagleman doesn't like him one bit....but not dwelling on that guy today....outstanding game with an outstanding finish!!!....maybe some day we will see our boys do the same???....uh...probably not....:eagles:

Just an aside.....Villanova University is a small catholic university of about 6500 students in Suburban Philadelphia....they are on about 1/2 the land that ORU has.....granted they have a rich basketball tradition and a lot of wealthy alums.....they recruit all over the east coast and it's a top academic institution....not quite up to Duke standards but pretty close....lots of "blue bloods" attend Nova and it's VERY expensive....probably around $40K per year tuition at least......but it's still amazing that this small school can compete with the big boys like UNC, Syracuse and OU in roundball.....Nova has football but they are 1-AA and have a small 12,000 seat stadium that they don't fill......they don't have much success at other sports except now and then they do make the 1-AA football playoffs and did win a title about a decade ago.........not comparing Villanova to ORU but......it can be done in basketball if the desire is there......:mellow:

• Upvote 1

Great game last night considering I had absolutely no emotional interest in either team.  Maybe ever so slight for Villanova because they beat OU, and because I don't particularly like Roy Williams - but other than that really didn't care who won.  Kinda was hoping for OT, but the buzzer-beater trey was spectacular. 

I wanted to point out something that some of you may have noticed - an old Summit League ref, Terry Wymer, called the national championship last night.  He was one of my favorites back in the day (pretty sure he officiated some of the tournaments when it was here in Tulsa, and he's been at Mabee Center a number of times).  I thought it was cool to see an old Summit League referee reaching the pinnacle of college officiating . . . well, at least almost the pinnacle.

When I went to do a little research on line about Wymer and his officiating in the Final Four, I discovered that he was chosen by J.D. Collins, NCAA National Coordinator of Officiating, the absolute pinnacle of college officiating and another ex-Summit League official.  J.D. was my absolute all time favorite ref.  Thought he did a fantastic job.  I DISTINCTLY remember him calling at least one of the conference championships in Tulsa, and probably more than one.  A truly class official.  I did get mad at him one time when he was calling the ORU/TU game at the Reynolds Center.  I felt like he was letting TU mug Caleb Green - and I was probably right.  That was the only game during Caleb's four year college career that we lost to TU, as I remember. 

Collins and Wymer both date back to the Mid-Con days.

Anyway, I think it's pretty cool to see these two guys who have called quite a few games at Mabee Center making the big-time.