Postseason 2016

Old Titan

Aside from the TU debacle, which has been discussed ad nauseum in another thread, there are some interesting storylines coming out of the postseason:

• South Dakota State gets a very respectable 12th Seed for a non-regular season champ, thanks to the league's higher RPI, but draws a very tough assignment in Maryland.  Still, the talented Terrapins have shown a penchant for playing down to their competition this year. If Daum can keep out of foul trouble and stay on the floor 30+ minutes, this could be interesting.

• Stephen F. Austin runs through the Southland regular season and tournament undefeated - AGAIN - and only lands a 14-seed because the conference has such a terrible RPI.  If they weren't playing such an athletic team as West Virginia, I might pick them in my bracket, but I just don't see it.  Brad Underwood has to be on every AD's short list of coaching candidates this spring - maybe Mike Holder's at Oklahoma State?

• Congrats to Korey Bilbury, whose VCU Rams got a 10 Seed and will be playing #7 Oregon State.  No doubt Korey still remembers Gary Payton, Jr. and crew from ORU's game in Corvallis last year.

• In the NIT, IPFW has the misfortune of traveling west to face San Diego State, one of the more-deserving teams that was left out of the big dance by the Tulsa/Michigan fiasco.  The rest of the NIT field is more populated than usual with low- and mid-majors, due to so many regular season conference champions losing in their tournaments.

• Omaha garnered a CBI invite and will travel to Pittsburgh to play Duquesne Wednesday night.  No other Summit League team has been announced for postseason play, which is not surprising for 4th place IUPUI and their 13-19 overall record, but what gives with NDSU and their 20-13 mark?  Seems like they would be a no-brainer for one of these events, but are not listed in either the CBI or CIT fields.  Maybe they will be in the new "Vegas 16" event at Mandalay Bay:  those teams are still to be announced today (but it reportedly comes with a $50,000 price tag, with all the games being played in Las Vegas - that's expensive).

Monmouth, San Diego St, Akron, Princeton, St. Mary's and St. Bonaventure all deserved to get in ahead of Tulsa....something stinks....But for TU fans, it's a great thing....TheEagleman is no big fan of Coach Calipari but he had a great rant about the NCAA Selection Committee and the process last night on ESPN.....it's worth watching...:blink:

Maryland has lost five of their last eight games since playing D2 Bowie State last month, though a few of those were very close ones against the cream of the Big 10 crop. I watched their loss to Michigan State in the Big 10 tournament, and they're a very good team. They have some very talented guards, though I think SDSU matches well with them in the post. They might have a shot to win this one in the notorious 5-12 matchup.

Oklahoma got a very good draw in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see them in the Final Four. They're a jumpshooting team though and that doesn't always pay off this late in the season. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The team that should not be in the tournament is Syracuse:

• They lost 5 of their last 6 games
  • Their RPI was 72 (!!!)     IPFW finished at 71
  • Their coach (Jim Boeheim) is an unrepentant cheater who had to sit out (only) nine games this year for long time infractions. How in the world did the committee allow him to get into the tournament. They had every reason to keep Syracuse out.
  • Upvote 1

AMEN, TERRY!!!....AMEN!.....TheEagleman forgot about the Cuse.....and there is no ex-CUSE for Boeheim....he's detestable!....:^)

I know it will not be easy, but I think that the Jacks can make some noise in the "Big Dance".  If Daum can hang in there they can beat Maryland.  I also think they can possibly make it to the "Sweet 16" or beyond, but it will be a tall order.   However, I do not think it is impossible.  Let's hope SDSU goes far as it will benefit the entire Summit.  GO JACKRABBITS!

ORU TRIVIA....did you know that 29 year old Jim Boeheim was an Asst Coach on the 1973-74 Syracuse team that lost to ORU in the first round of the NCAA tournament? That game was played in Denton, Texas and was an 86-82 OT win for the then Titans led by Anthony Roberts, Sudden Sam McCants, Eddie Woods and Greg McDougald....Boeheim took over as head coach in 1976....it's time for him to go!...:eagles:

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU TRIVIA....did you know that 29 year old Jim Boeheim was an Asst Coach on the 1973-74 Syracuse team that lost to ORU in the first round of the NCAA tournament? That game was played in Denton, Texas and was an 86-82 OT win for the then Titans led by Anthony Roberts, Sudden Sam McCants, Eddie Woods and Greg McDougald....Boeheim took over as head coach in 1976....it's time for him to go!...:eagles:

I was there!  12 years old, sitting behind the bench.  "The Pit" was EMPTY that night!

Anthony was just a freshman that season, and while he filled a vital role, the best player on that team was actually 6-5 swingman Al Boswell - he could do it all. 

Boswell ran afoul of the honor code his next year and had to leave school before the season ever started, so we'll never know just how good he could have become. 

Only ORU player ever with a triple-double (that's really hard to do in the 40-minute college game, as opposed to 48 minutes and a shorter shot clock in the pros).

More fun stuff on this year's bracket:

• Korey Bilbury and VCU play Oregon State just down the road in Oklahoma City, which is great for his friends and family.  And, if the Rams win, they likely face Oklahoma in the second round - really nice way for him to end his career, one way or the other.

• The more I look at it, the more impressed I am by South Dakota State getting a 12 seed without winning the regular season title.  Other so-called "one bid leagues" were really punished for their season champion falling in their conference tournament.  Just look how the Summit fared when compared to the other one-bidders:

11 SEED:  Gonzaga (West Coast), Northern Iowa (Valley)

12 SEED:  South Dakota State (Summit), Arkansas-Little Rock (Sun Belt), Yale (Ivy), Chattanooga (Southern)

13 SEED:  NC-Wilmington (Colonial), Stony Brook (America East), Hawaii (Big West), Iona (Metro Atlantic)

14 SEED:  Fresno State (Mountain West), Stephen F. Austin (Southland), Buffalo (Mid-America), Wisconsin-Green Bay (Horizon)

15 SEED:  Middle Tennessee (Conference USA), CSU-Bakersfield (WAC), Weber State (Big Sky), NC-Ashville (Big South)

16 SEED:  Florida Gulf Coast (Atlantic Sun), Hampton (Mid-Eastern), Austin Peay (Ohio Valley), Holy Cross (Patriot), Fairleigh Dickinson (Northeast), Southern (SWAC)

I really wonder if IPFW would have also drawn a No. 12 had they won in Sioux Falls:  while they have a similar RPI to SDSU, they do not have the same brand recognition (yet) as the Jackrabbits, thanks to Nate Walters' run just a few seasons back.

Regardless, it's great for the league.  The next move is to win another game or two, ala NDSU two seasons ago, and break that ceiling into single-digit seeds in future brackets, like The Valley and the A-10.

-I like that matchup for SDSU. But I did hear an interview with Mark Turgeon talking about how Maryland was in the same holiday tournament with them so they are familiar with the Rabbits.

-Am I the only one who didn't know UALR was 29-4 this year? Can we get them back on the schedule?

-As much as I can't stand Calipari, he's right. The tournament committee can never help themselves when they have a chance to set up some 'cute' matchups, especially with schools who won't play against each other. Which is why Texas and Texas A&M will probably face each other, instead of UK taking the Aggies place in OKC.

It also gives OU almost a bye to the Sweet 16 with basically no opposition, at least in the stands. That might be different if you have 80,000 Wildcat fans buying up some of those tickets.

-The committee also couldn't help but stick it to Virginia by putting Michigan State in their region for the 3rd straight year.

-I heard Castiglione say that TU doesn't get in if Memphis wins Sunday, which makes no sense. I also heard some pundits say that Syracuse got a BREAK since they didn't have Boeheim for those nine games. Lol.

OT is correct....Al Boswell was a really good player on that 73-74 team.....a 6-4 combo guard who could pass, shoot and take the ball to the hole....Sam McCants was probably the best and flashiest player on that squad but he could play uncontrolled at times....he lasted only one year at ORU...he was an honor code violation just waiting to happen....I didn't like Sam much....he was arrogant....Boswell was a very nice kid....so was Anthony Roberts....it's a shame he didn't reach his full potential...Woosie could do it all...best shooter ever at ORU and was 6-5 but played like 6-8...but TheEagleman to this day still believes he as the most talented player ever to suit up at ORU and had a very nice NBA career cut short by some injuries and drug use.....But let me tell you...the 73-74 ORU team could have won the NCAA title...seriously...it was there for the taking and we were good....very good....we beat Syracuse and Louisville to get to the Midwest Regional Final in what was just a 24 team bracket back in those days ..that Louisville game....Mabee Center was rocking with 11,000 plus that night....packed to the gills and loud.....Greg McDougal hit a jumper from the corner late in the game and I was down that end...the place erupted...and then we had Kansas beat two days later on national TV.....8 point lead with 3 minutes to play....we were going to the final four....to this day, TheEagleman still thinks about the  93-90 Overtime loss to KU....brutal....we turned the ball over about 5-6 times in the last 3 minutes....just gave it away....getting sick just thinking about it......ugh!!!....:mellow:

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

...but what gives with NDSU and their 20-13 mark?  Seems like they would be a no-brainer for one of these events, but are not listed in either the CBI or CIT fields....

According to the Bison message board, the school decided to pass on bids from the lesser tournaments due to the multitude of injuries on the team. Apparently the two seniors on the team gave their blessings and were content to end their careers with the Summit League Championship game as their last one.

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Boswell was a very nice kid....so was Anthony Roberts....it's a shame he didn't reach his full potential...Woosie could do it all...best shooter ever at ORU and was 6-5 but played like 6-8...but TheEagleman to this day still believes he as the most talented player ever to suit up at ORU and had a very nice NBA career cut short by some injuries and drug use....

it took a minute, but i found this article i remember reading after his murder.  a truly sad story from an awful chapter of NBA history...

Byline: Rick Morrissey Rocky Mountain News Staff Writer

TULSA, Okla. -- Reach back 20 years. Two lives converge, run together for a brief time and then split apart suddenly, as if they had never touched.

Reach back 20 years to a sickly NBA, an NBA rotting on the inside from a drug problem. Reach back to Anthony Roberts, the Denver Nuggets' first-round draft pick in 1977. Name doesn't sound familiar? Look, then, at his much more famous teammate, David Thompson. To know Thompson's troubles is to begin to understand what happened to Anthony Roberts.

Before there was an Air Jordan, there was Thompson, who did his work at higher elevations than almost anyone else had before. Problem was, he was elevating off the court as well.

And he had lots of company. John Lucas, George Gervin, Micheal Ray Richardson, among others - all casualties of a time and a place and a drug. And of themselves. In Denver, some of Thompson's teammates also were diving nose-first into cocaine. It was into this environment that Roberts, a fun-loving, impressionable, somewhat naive star from Oral Roberts, walked, and it was into this environment he stayed.

Two basketball careers flamed out because of drugs. One career was large, a Hall of Fame career. The other was as brief as a puff of wind. But the legend and the footnote shared a common struggle.

In equal parts, Thompson fought to let go of cocaine and prayed for it to let go of him. His or the drug's grip finally eased, but not until 1988, five years after his career ended.

Roberts wasn't so lucky. For 20 years, he lived a life of quiet combat against addiction, of money borrowed and blown, of partly cloudy days.

Reach back to last weekend, to a parking lot outside an apartment complex in Tulsa. An argument erupts between Roberts, 41, and a 19-year-old man.

Roberts was to begin a new job two days later. This job, he was sure, would last. This money, he was certain, would stay in his pocket. This time, he knew, he would get it right.

A bullet in the back over some unknown something ends all the dreams. Ends the nightmare, too.

``I really believe that at least he's free of all the problems now,'' said Ken Trickey, who coached Roberts in college. ``He tried. A lot of people say, `You can quit if you want it bad enough.' But some can't. It's an illness. He tried.''

It was a simpler time. Crack cocaine was a sinister idea that had yet to be fully considered. …

Thanks, Alum....great article that I had never read before.....TheEagleman only knew the Anthony Roberts at ORU who was a really nice kid...married young and his wife and daughter were very sweet....his wife worked at Mabee Center with my first wife for awhile and I had a couple of classes with Anthony and got to know him fairly well thru my work with the Oracle....I always called him Tony and he loved his white Lincoln that some local car dealer must have let him use...I never asked any questions....he once gave me a ride in it with Alvin and Terry Scott...we went to Goldies down at 71st and Lewis......I really liked  Woosie and his wife and that guy could really ball....had that special slingshot jumper that he could hit from the outside but also a tremendous rebounder and passer....I still recall sitting courtside at the old OKC Myriad the night that OCU tied ORU with about 8 seconds left and the ball was inbounded to Roberts who calmly dribbled up the court....stopped and fired from about 28 feet as the clock hit .00 and swish...ORU won something like 100-98......the last time I saw and talked to Anthony Roberts was at the old Philadelphia Spectrum when he came in with the Denver Nuggets in 1978...I had left a message for him at his hotel in downtown Philly and he left me 2 tickets for the game that night. We met after the game in the tunnel and he gave me a hug....he looked good....Roberts scored about 10-12 points that night against Dr. J and the Sixers...lost contact with him after that and my life got busy with kids and stuff.....was so sad to hear about his drug issues in Denver and then the old Washington Bullets.....his life ended too soon....A true ORU legend #15.....:eagles:

I believe, according to witnesses, that Anthony was trying to break up a heated argument between 2 other people in the parking lot when he ended up being shot.

I think you are correct, Jason....TheEagleman also read that ....Anthony Roberts was such a nice, quiet reserved guy....I never knew him as anything but that....and despite his tremendous basketball talents he was humble.....the only thing flashy was the big white car...lol....very sad about the drugs...I guess once he got to the NBA and had some $$$ things happen....no way he was doing any of that while he was at ORU.....:mellow:

IPFW got embarrassed tonight at San Diego State. Lost by 24, and were never really in the game after the first ten minutes.