MBB and WBB roster limits

74Titan

Please answer the following question:

What is the roster limit for both men's and women's basketball? Money aside, what is the NCAA limit for each gender? One reason I ask is that both teams could use more depth. The girls would have had much more depth had last-minute departures not taken place. I hope no one blames the coaching staff for the choices made by 4-5 young ladies this past season. 

As for the guys, the coaching staff is to be applauded for holding Emmanuel out this semester. With Ezekiel, Chris Miller, and Kellen Manek adding bulk (and hopefully defense) to the returning front line, it looks like a full roster could be on hand for next season-but I digress. Again, other than finances, what is the roster limit for each gender? 

On a related side note, did anyone notice the size of both SDSU and SDU in the Summit League WBB final? Those girls looked, shall we say, well fed and watered. Some of those girls live on farms, where one can get pretty strong around cattle, hogs, and bales of hay. They're a pretty muscular bunch. 

I'd like to see more size on both teams, without sacrificing quickness or speed. Thank you for your time and input.

Thank you, Old Titan, for the information. Someone had noted that, with Emmanuel Nzekwesi, Chris Miller, and incoming signees, there are 14 scholarsip players on the 2016-17 MBB roster. With 13 being the scholarship limit, It would appear someone has to be redshirted-most likely a guard. Both Adam Glenville and Issac Gilliam are walk-ons, so they don't count against the scholarship limit. From one Titan to another, what scenario am I missing here? 

This happens almost every spring, some years there are as many as 15 scholarship players heading into the summer.  But, it always seems to work itself out, through transfers, academic casualties, etc. 

Most likely casualty from this year's roster would be juco transfer Tre Vance; based on his lack of playing time this year, he doesn't appear to figure into their plans.  I'm guessing he will not be on the team next year, but it's just a guess.

Good point, Old Titan, about Tre Vance. Other than defensive shortcomings (as was the case for most of the team) or injury, I don't know why Tre has few moments on the fkoor this year.

I thought he looked solid when he was in the game.  He wasn't a serious scoring threat, but I thought he provided solid depth if we needed it.

Current Roster: (10 players)

Anderson (pg)

Young (pg)

Bradley (sg)

Martin (sg)

Harris (sf)

Jefferies (sf)

White (pf)

Owens (pf)

Vance (pf)

Nzekwesi (pf)  red shirted

New Recruits   (5 players)

RJ Smith (sg)

Manek (pf)

Miller (pf)

McDaniel (pg)   verbal

Speight (pg)   verbal

If we assume that Vance leaves and that both verbals come on board, that leaves us with one player over the limit.

+ Chris Miller (BTW) who red shirted this year

also i have not seen the Speight committed.....i think he has just been offered

If we get Speight, that would make six incoming freshmen to go with the three (White, Jefferies and Martin) we have this year. A total of nine freshmen and sophomores.

you are correct, it looks to be a very young team.   unless a couple players really break out, next year could be another long season for ORU fans. 

I see your correction regarding Chris Miller, ORU Terry. Now the picture is in better focus.

Edited by 74Titan

ORU Jason, I'm still puzzled why someone like Tre Vance, who has some size, would occupy the bench for almost the entire season, using up one scholarship. There could, of course, be private reasons why Tre didn't play much this (now) past season, but I don't have to know them. Some things are better kept within a family, team, and coaches in this case.

Vance was a very late signee - maybe they only saw him on film, and when he got here, he just wasn't what they wanted, or as advertised.

It's anyone's guess, but one thing is certain: if he figured at all in their plans for next year, the coaches would have / should have played him more this season. 

I'm betting they've already made up their mind on his future at ORU, and there isn't one.