ORU vs. SDSU / round 1

theeagleman5

Watch that last oru play...  SDSU tellinghuosin knocked the oru kid to the ground but the foul was on oru????

un real.   Home cooking refs bullcrap.....

• Upvote 2

Gotta find a way to win games like this. Heartbreaking. This team could not close out.  They worked hard to get in position and then tightened up - all season long. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, on ESPN3 it appeared the SDSU guy went over Bradley's back and the call goes against Bradley. 

• Upvote 1

Officiating was horrific....but we shot poorly from the floor and the line in the 2nd half.....very disappointing ending.....a 14-17 season......UGH!....TheEagleman will not sleep well tonight despite cashing in big.....:(

34 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Lakes was right, though. 

Sorry. But I was screaming on your behalf.     When you were up 7,  you missed 2 fts they hit a 3.... Then screwed with foul foul foul...  Over the back daum push in back bittle. Then the last foul at 1.8 secs.   

But but I wish obi would've pulled up for 3 on that last drive 

Thanks Lakes for the support and thanks to the other Bisons who also supported us tonight.  Good luck to NDSU and go win it all.  Also know that at least one Golden Eagle will be rooting for you guys to take the Summit.

Have to admit, after a few hours reflection, I'm disappointed in the hyper-critical reaction of some ORU fans on social media following this season-ending loss.

It was a whale of a game!  ORU and SDSU both played really well, but down the stretch ORU's lack of size hurt them once again on the boards, along with the missed free throws up 5 with 1:40 to go, and the empty offensive possessions against a stout SDSU defense that followed.  Ultimately, I think the better team won, but ORU certainly played well enough this single time out to deserve an upset win.  It just didn't fall their way - and that's basketball.

ORU was again done in by that elusive "it" factor that's cost them so many close games the past couple of years.  Whether it's toughness, or conditioning, or discipline, or coaching, I don't know.  But, it cost them late in what was otherwise a WONDERFUL game plan, and a WONDERFUL performance by so many of them (even Obi:  he was double-teamed all night, but he kept fighting right to the end when it would have been easy to just quit working hard).

Look, I'm just as disappointed as the next guy - this was a heart-ripper, and I don't know where ORU basketball goes now after this shockingly sub-par year.  There should be some serious soul-searching going on at every level of the ORU men's basketball program right now, and if not, then there's something wrong.

But, let's give credit where credit is due:  this much-maligned roster totally outplayed a really good team for most of the game, in a hostile environment, at the end of two long weeks of travel.

I was proud of their effort and their execution, and you could see it in the eyes of the SDSU players, coaches and fans afterward:  ORU earned their respect, as well.  :clap:

• Upvote 1

There are 2 clear problems with this season.

Finding talented recruits, and keeping the recruits we sign.

Finding talented recruits should not be as difficult as some have alluded to. This is a recruiting/coaching staff problem. Our athletic program (arena, training equipment and basketball dorms) are every bit as good as many MAJOR schools, and at the top 10% of mid-major programs. As someone who lived on the basketball floor, I will tell you this is not a problem. The program is very appealing to basketball players. 

Keeping recruits is again a coaching staff problem. 

TheEagleman didn't get a lot of sleep last night....been thinking about that loss all day.....tough tough one to swallow....but the sun does come up in the morning....ORU gave it their best shot...but not gonna win many game when Obi shoots 4-18.....oh well.....the ORU ladies are still playing and we got baseball at JLJ!.....:eagles:

gotta say OT's post really changed my perspective.  it's not about winning and losing, it's about how hard you play the last game of the season.

(Oprah voice):  "You get a participation trophy, you get a participation trophy, and you get a participation trophy...."

break out the orange wedges and juice boxes; let's celebrate not finishing 8th or 9th in the league.

-----

seriously not sure how you can put a positive spin on what is going on.  i don't know what was said in social media, but i think ORU fans (what's left of them) have been pretty long suffering. check out social media / message boards after a Longhorn football loss or when the Sooners finish the season 8-5 for some perspective.

• Upvote 1

The coaches came with a great game plan and managed to get the guys up for the game when it might've been easy to roll over and let the disappointing season fade away. We came a couple of missed free throws away from a huge upset against a great team backed by a huge home crowd and questionable referees.

Unfortunately, the season is over and it's now time to evaluate this season. 14-17 should be, and is (hopefully?), unacceptable for our athletic program.