Help us out

TUPond

TU loses by 10 at 16-13 Memphis today, effectively bursting their micron-thin NCAA bubble.

Despite TU getting out-rebounded by 15 and allowing 54% shooting by the Tigers, Golden Hurricane fans (shockingly) blame this loss on the officiating. 

And, just remember: when their name isn't even mentioned as being under consideration on Selection Sunday, it won't be because of this late-season blunder, it'll be because their loss to ORU way back in November hurt their RPI...  :wink:

On 2/19/2016 at 7:25 AM, Old Titan said:

the AAC is looking more and more like a one-bid league, with the winner of their tournament getting the only slot. 

I'll take that bet.

1 hour ago, ctt8410 said:

I'll take that bet.

Yeah, I'm gonna hedge a little:  if UCONN makes the AAC final, then falls to either Cincy or Temple, the Huskies are still in as a #12 in the "Last Four", simply because of their 24/7 promotion by "The Worldwide Leader" in Bristol.  Temple or Cincy as champ would be an 11, maybe a 10 if there are no big upset tournament champions in the P5 conferences.

Otherwise, I still think it's just the tournament winner from between those three if UCONN is not in the final, with the aforementioned ceremonial nod to SMU.  They can't ALL be 12 seeds in Dayton, now can they?

Mark it down:  if Temple or Cincy beats someone like Houston or Tulsa in the AAC final, that's it - one bid only.  And, the loser of that sort of match-up is only going to be a #3 or #4 in the NIT, as well.

And when that happens, instead of blaming some low-major for a loss in November, those that are left out can instead thank teams like Wisconsin, Texas Tech, Colorado and Vanderbilt for coming on so strong in their last 10 games of the regular season, while the so-called AAC "leaders" were busy losing at home and/or falling on the road to conference also-rans by double-digits.

It's amazing what is now happening with the American Conference:  it appears practically EVERYONE with a better record than UConn (including Tulsa; excluding banned SMU) is projected to get in the tourney, riding on the coat tails of the SIXTH PLACE Huskies and their mediocre 11-7 league record.

I mean, seriously, WHO have these guys beaten to be projected as an at-large team, other than the other so-so teams in front of them in the standings?  Last week, they lost AT HOME to Houston, then got drilled by 26 points in Dallas to SMU.  Why is everyone so enamored with them? 

I guess that's the power of ESPN, UConn's virtual (and, back in the day, literal) in-house bully pulpit:  finish higher than UConn, and you get to go dancing as well, to justify their selection.

TU better hope the rumors of them and Cincy joining the Big XII are just that; those two programs (and Larry Brown) are the only thing keeping the league on the national radar.

I looked on there yesterday and they have a couple of people saying they were Gonzaga before Gonzaga became Gonzaga and I just started shaking my head.

They blamed ESPN for not covering them as much back then. Otherwise they wouldn't have had the coaching turnover also.

Their fan base is something else.

Haith is already looking for a better spot. They lose all those seniors so next year will not be kind to them.

For the most part, TU fans are great. And very loyal to their teams. Somehow though, they manage to attract fans with a terrible mix of oblivious-ness, arrogance, and loud opinions. It'll be fun to read the numerous "Fire Haith" threads on their board next year. 

If TU makes the tourney they may not be shouting fire Haith as he may not be there. He will be looking around for another landing spot very quickly. Coaches like that are not there for more than 2 or 3 years at the most.

The best I saw this year on there is when ORU beat them one of the older posters said he was walking in the AD's office and tell him if he didn't stop scheduling ORU he was giving up his seats and his donations to the school.:) That would sure show them!

• Upvote 1

A lot of pieces are falling Tulsa's way to get them into the tournament:  bubble teams Vanderbilt, Syracuse, Texas Tech and Oregon State all lost early in their respective tournaments.  The bubble is so weak this year; if Tulsa goes on a run in the AAC tourney they may get into the Dayton Play-in games as a 12 seed; may only take a win tonight over Memphis.

Other than SMU, the entire league is barely bubble-worthy.

6 minutes ago, darrenj said:

If TU makes the tourney they may not be shouting fire Haith as he may not be there. He will be looking around for another landing spot very quickly. Coaches like that are not there for more than 2 or 3 years at the most.

The best I saw this year on there is when ORU beat them one of the older posters said he was walking in the AD's office and tell him if he didn't stop scheduling ORU he was giving up his seats and his donations to the school.:) That would sure show them!

Who would be willing to give Haith the kind of money he's making at Tulsa? 

That, and the NCAA sanctions he leaves in his wake everywhere he goes, might rule him untouchable for most programs at a higher (or even similar) level.

Schools do goofy things.:) He makes the tourney and the phone will be ringing. On his side what does his team look like next year? What if he only wins half his games next year? He isn't getting a job then. He isn't overly thrilled with being at TU from what I hear.

TU blasted by Memphis by 22 tonight in their first round game. I would guess that pretty sufficiently bursts their bubble. 

12 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

TU blasted by Memphis by 22 tonight in their first round game. I would guess that pretty sufficiently bursts their bubble. 

I couldn't really tell if Memphis is a decent team or TU is just that horrible.

48 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I couldn't really tell if Memphis is a decent team or TU is just that horrible.

Memphis is a very talented team that has underachieved with Jost Pastner at the helm. They are MUCH more talented than TU, and were a particularly bad match-up. I think both teams knew it heading into the game, and it inspired Memphis while demoralizing TU.

I bet Voice was pleased with that outcome!

The American gets 4 teams in, including Tulsa. What in the world is the committee thinking? Way too much respect for a mediocre conference. Incredible. 

TULSA GETS IN!

I would be more than happy to eat my hat, with a side dish of crow, if it wasn't for the fact NO ONE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY THOUGHT THEY WOULD GET IN, EITHER! 

And, that includes their own fans - just check out their message board from about midway through the Memphis game Friday night, where they are all saying they should TURN DOWN the pending NIT bid.  Even this morning, they were predicting themselves as a 2 or 3 seed in the NIT, going no further than the second round.  They knew Tulsa was simply not passing the eye test the past few games.

But, trust me, they won't stop them from beating their chests and screaming, "TAKE THAT, HATERS!!", not realizing they belong to that same club when things go badly.  They will act like they knew this was coming all along.

This is, frankly, a travesty.  Tulsa joins Temple, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt, and Syracuse as teams that truly have no business getting at-large bids while really good teams like Valpo, Monmouth, St. Bonaventure and St. Mary's get the usual mid-major shaft that has become, in the CBS vernacular, "a tradition like no other".  Or, how about South Carolina, who beat the DOG out of Tulsa on a neutral floor - what do you think they were saying to each other when Tulsa was announced instead of them?

But, I'm happy to announce we have apparently settled the original premise of this thread, once and for all:  LOSING TO EVEN A MEDIOCRE ORU TEAM DOES NOT KEEP YOU OUT OF THE NCAA TOURNAMENT, TU FAN.

And, apparently, neither does just outright sucking. 

Bottom line:  Tulsa getting in with this team is an historically bad pick, the worst among many bad picks this year, and one that committee chair (and Oklahoma AD) Joe Castiglione will have to spend the next week defending in the media.