Help us out

TUPond

Before this turns into a referendum, here's an example of what my initial posts in this thread were trying to convey:  some TU fans are freaking delusional when it comes to their team, and they tend to blame others (in this case, their Tulsa World beat writer) for their shortcomings.

TULSA TOP 25????..........Heck, TheEagleman wouldn't have them rated in the TOP 75......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back to scheduling, here is a thought/suggestion.  Try Ohio University/Ohio State.  See if you can get a mid-week game in Columbus with Ohio State (think money game), keep the team in Columbus for another day and then schedule a Saturday game in Athens which is a short hour drive on 4 lane highway from Columbus.  Then get Ohio to come play in the Mabee the following year.  By doing this the first year you get a money game and a home/away series game all for the price of one airline ticket thereby saving money.  Secondly, you pick up a nice mid major to come to our house the following year.  Finally, with Saul Phillips (NDSU) now at Ohio, he might be interested.  Using the same logic, there are a plenty of schools in the region which could accomplish the same thing, and if Ohio State does not give a money game, try either Pitt, WVU, Dayton, Xavier, Cincy or Kentucky as all are not that far from Ohio or Akron or Kent State.  You get the picture.  For that matter, go to Philly and get a money game from Villanova and then try to get a home/away with LaSalle, Temple, Penn or whoever.  The ladies did it this year with the trip to Detroit for Michigan and EMU as those two schools are about 5 minutes from each other.

Good idea, ORU82 - and that's just what ORU is doing next year.  They'll play at Michigan State and Oakland with Oakland coming here the following year.  These situations are rare, though.  I don't think you NEED Tulsa on the schedule but it certainly is more appealing for the fans and better for the turnstiles than Tabor, Haskell, and the rest of the slappies.  Who cares whether or not TU respects us?  Just play the game!

Fantastic and thanks for posting Chevy!  I am not in love with Tulsa but until we have something better come along, as you stated, just play the game.  Playing Tabor, Haskell or whoever is not going to build a program or get people into the seats in Mabee.  There are a lot of potential combo games like MSU/Oakland.  Heck, fly into Pittsburgh for a money game with Pitt, stay an extra two days, travel 5 minutes across the city to Duquesne (A-10) and play them and then fly back to Tulsa.  Just make sure the deal with Duquesne involves a home/away.  For that matter, you could fly into Pittsburgh on Tuesday, bus to Morgantown (1 1/2 hour drive), play WVU (money game), drive back to Pittsburgh and play Pitt on Thursday night (money game), stay until Saturday afternoon and play Duquesne in the Palumbo Center and then fly back the same evening to Tulsa.  That way you get 2 money games and a home/away with a nice mid major from the A-10.

I don't agree about scheduling TU, and I'm not about to change my mind, but I will defer to the masses on this one.

I suppose if everyone wants ORU to keep beating TU every year, then fine.

But, I don't have to like it...  ;-)

I think the idea of trying to hit two schools, one big, one mid, is great! ORU could hit Chicago for either Northwestern or DePaul (winnable game) and then head an hour west and get a good MAC opponent in Northern Illinois. And, selfishly, I would be able to see ORU play.:-D

ORU82 for AD!!!....Philly has about 12-13 (Villanova, Penn, LaSalle, Temple, St. Josephs, Drexel, Rider, Princeton, Delaware, Delaware St. Lehigh, Lafayette, Monmouth)  D-1 schools within the city limits or within 50 miles of the city....Wish ORU would come to this area for a game.....they haven't played in the Philadelphia area since Bill Self brought the team to Nova for a game about 20 years ago.....:-|

I like the sound of Alabama and UAB.  45 Minutes between them.  Actually Vanderbilt and Belmont are 5 minutes apart in Nashville, and about the same distance for me!  It is all about me, right?  On second thought, VU has the funky "bench on the baseline" thing going.  That's a weird dynamic.  Memorial is a great venue for college hoops but I cannot get used to the location of the benches.  I think it's a big advantage for their beloved Commodores...

ORob1

Thanks Eagleman.  When you think about it there are a lot of cities where you can play a P5 or high mid major "money game" then pick up a really nice mid major within a short distance who you play for a home/away contract.  As was stated above, Philly, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Chicago, Detroit, the possibilities are endless.  Washington D.C. gets you Maryland and then either Georgetown, George Washington, George Mason (got a theme going here) whatever.  As was stated above, use the trip to schedule a money game or games, then pick up a nice mid major to do a home/away series.  By the way, I threw out either the Ohio/Ohio State idea or the Pitt/WVU/Duquesne idea because either one of those scenarios would make it easy for myself and other alums to come see a game where our favorite team is playing.  When ORU played at WVU a few years ago, the one section of Mountaineer Colloseum behind the Golden Eagles' bench was filled with ORU alums who got very vocal, especially when we almost pulled out an upset late in the game.  It was amazing to see a 13,000 seat arena go silent and stare at us as we almost left Morgantown with a victory.

IT'S. NOT. THAT. EASY.

Some of you guys think all you gotta do is call up two schools that are independent of one another and find a three-day window to play two games at the other team's gyms, and they'll say "yes, of course!"

Three games that fit into all three teams' existing schedules

With a high-major paying an acceptable guarantee 

With a low- or mid-major willing to make a return trip

And that are close enough to each other that you only need one flight

And that location has to be a place ORU actually WANTS to play.

Is it doable? Sure, but it's not a snap of the fingers like you guys think it is.

6 hours ago, Bad Blood said:

IT'S. NOT. THAT. EASY.

Some of you guys think all you gotta do is call up two schools that are independent of one another and find a three-day window to play two games at the other team's gyms, and they'll say "yes, of course!"

Three games that fit into all three teams' existing schedules

With a high-major paying an acceptable guarantee 

With a low- or mid-major willing to make a return trip

And that are close enough to each other that you only need one flight

And that location has to be a place ORU actually WANTS to play.

Is it doable? Sure, but it's not a snap of the fingers like you guys think it is.

When you go back and read the posts referencing this topic you will see words such as,"thought", "suggestion", "potential", "idea", "possibility". Nobody ever claimed that it was an easy thing to pull off, or a snap of the fingers. As fans we can certainly entertain the "idea" of something like this since it is, as you say, "doable". Especially for the real ORU fans around the country who may only have the opportunity to see a select few games on ESPN3 or listen to Hax on the radio.

Illini is right. But, so is Bad Blood. Scheduling ain't easy.

The other thought I had was do something similar to what James Madison did this year. Host an early season round-robin at ORU.

It may not be possible, but partner with TU and host it together with them and bring in 6 other teams...? Everybody gets 3 games. And, I'd imagine a couple of local corporate sponsors would jump on board?? Call it the Eagle-Hurricane classic. 

Could even have TU play 2 of their games at Reynolds Center, with the third game being at Mabee as part of a Saturday double-header with ORU.

Or, if TU isn't on board...do it with OU or OSU. Let them play 2 of their 3 games at their place and the third at Mabee as part of a weekend triple-header, to close the event.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing there are lots of ways to think outside the box on scheduling.

Begins with losing the "Can't Do" attitude that's the frequent by-product of being told "No" all the time.  ANYONE in sales knows what I'm talking about.

I never cease to be amazed by WHY deals are sometimes made. 

It can be because of lucky timing, it can be because the buyer is desperate, or is a friend of the family, or you went to the same school or played for the same coach, or maybe you just hit it off with him/her.

You just never know what might tip the scales in your favor, but ya gotta keep knocking on doors and ASKING FOR THE ORDER.

Just like Mitch & Murray from downtown would tell ya:  "Always. Be. Closing."  8)

I love it....Karma.....:rofl:

CBSSports actually has TU as one of their "Last Four In" teams this morning, as a #11 going to Dayton for the Tuesday/Wednesday play-in games.

It's all wishful thinking, though:  the AAC is looking more and more like a one-bid league, with the winner of their tournament getting the only slot. 

And the committee will justify it by saying, "Well, they would have gotten two in, if SMU wasn't ineligible.  It's their fault, not ours."