Help us out

TUPond

I know this year is a success for you guys since you've beaten us but could you please quit sucking?  Once again when the so called experts talk about TU's NCAA chances, under the bad loss category is "ORU".  I know if we just take care of our business and beat you like we should then I don't have to post this but it is what it is.  I want ORU to win every game from here on out.  You see, not all TU fans are bad guys like you think.  Just win baby!

17 hours ago, TUPond said:

Once again when the so called experts talk about TU's NCAA chances, under the bad loss category is "ORU". 

No expert will be talking about TU. Everybody knows that.

• Upvote 1

When I saw this ridiculous post Saturday afternoon, I had to shake my head and think, "Typical TU fan".

But, then I checked the TU message board to see what current discussion there might have prompted such a silly response on our forum, and was surprised to find many TU fans do NOT share this warped view. A decent number took the approach of "Beat ORU, and this isn't an issue", which is patently true.

But, there are still a few who take a similar stance as this pathetic TU fan.  It seems like they're always the white-collar type who never played the game, and view the entire exercise of college basketball as some sort of elitist numbers game, where every loophole is an opportunity, every loss the result of a conspiracy, and every win is somehow their God-given right.

In their mind, when TU occasionally wins a big game (such as their upset of under-manned and exhausted SMU last week), it's proof positive that "We're back!", yet each loss (such as back-to-back home stinkers to ORU and UALR) is the inexplicable result of poor officiating, dirty players, unfortunate scheduling, etc., etc., etc. 

In short, that each victory or defeat is the by-product of some sort of institutional fiat, never that their team simply played better of worse than their opponent.

TU fans such as these remind me of the fan bases of similarly frustrated private school basketball programs who once had their day, such as DePaul, Marquette, UMass, Temple, Georgetown, etc. who, simply because they once caught lightning in a bottle and had a few great seasons with a Hall of Fame coach, feel they are now somehow entitled decades later to a certain level of success and reverence within the college basketball world.

TU may be the prime example of this delusion:  the school was fortunate to land not one, not two, but THREE Hall of Fame coaches early in their careers:  Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, and Bill Self.  Each won a lot of games before promptly (and wisely) using TU as the launching pad for their ultimate success. 

But, those guys are long gone, and legacies don't win ball games.  Yet, here is this pathetic TU fan, languishing among the ruins like so many of his brethren, making his case for TU to get an NCAA at-large bid this year, despite a 16-9 record after last night's uninspired loss at middling Connecticut, and with more losses looming in the next couple of weeks (Cincinnati, Temple, Memphis, etc.).

They take the attitude of, "We deserve to get in, despite our many warts, because we're TULSA!  We're SOMEBODY!  Pay no attention to our bad losses!  Look at our handful of impressive wins!  THAT'S what matters.  Because we're TULSA!  WE ONCE WERE GREAT!"

And, when it's all settled and they don't even come close to getting in, rather than take stock in their own team, they will look around for someone to blame, and conclude that it is somehow ORU's fault...

...for beating them.

...on their home floor.

...for the third season in a row.

Yeah, TU fan:  that's the reason you're not going dancing. 

Can't have anything to do with your team not being able to defend the 3 point line, score inside, make clutch free throws, rebound, etc.

No, with you, it's ALWAYS someone else's fault...

• Upvote 4

And the award for most dramatic, whiny post is...Old Titan!  You sound like you need to take you meds and calm down a bit.  I know you like making a big deal out of nothing OT but this one takes the cake!  I don't think we needed a Sunday sermon from you about my post, LOL!  Look, I just wish that Sutton and ORU would bottle up that energy and motivation of beating TU and bring that every game.   Like I said earlier, if we take care of our business it doesn't matter.   We haven't for 3 years straight.  It just seems that after you beat us, it's back to mediocre ORU but by golly we beat TU!   This year has been another example of that.  I would love to see TU and ORU both in the Big Dance soon.  Hopefully this will be the year we go in spite of that "bad loss".   Take it easy OT, just breathe and enjoy the day and don't let that TUPond post get you thinking all kinds of craziness!

Quick poll, ORU fans:  how many of you feel like it's a successful year beating TU, no matter what else happens?

"Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?"

Yeah, me neither.

What on earth does a victory over TU really mean to ORU any more?  Or, to any other school, for that matter?

There are ORU opponents with better RPI in the freaking SUMMIT LEAGUE, for crying out loud.

More evidence of delusional TU Fan thinking a win over them is something others crow about.

Can't think of a single team in over a decade that would consider beating TU a season-maker.

You think South Carolina/Oregon State/Arkansas Little Rock/Cincinnati/Temple/Houston/SMU/UConn are checking their results today and thinking, "Man, that win over Tulsa is really looking good right now!"?

(Well, maybe Southeastern Oklahoma does - the D-2 (NAIA?) Savages beat TU in the Reynolds Center last year; they might be fairly proud of the accomplishment, but I bet even they might say it was just one game.)

Beating TU has meant about the same thing for over a decade:  a decent win over a 50-100 RPI team that's been to the NCAA tournament once since 2003.

Big deal.

25 years ago, when ORU did not belong to a conference with an automatic NCAA tournament bid, a victory over TU might have garnered ORU at-large consideration from the tournament selection committee, if the overall record was also good.  So, it DID mean something.

But, in this century?  Hardly.  It would a take a LOT more than a win over the Golden Hurricane to move the needle.

That's why I say drop 'em.  They add nothing to an ORU schedule that annually includes at least a half-dozen non-conference schools with better programs, higher profiles, and stronger RPI's.

Seriously, who needs 'em?  "Bigger fish to fry", as ol' Doug Wojcik said after one of his few wins over ORU.

And he was right:  for both programs.

2 hours ago, TUPond said:

And the award for most dramatic, whiny post is...Old Titan!  You sound like you need to take you meds and calm down a bit.  I know you like making a big deal out of nothing OT but this one takes the cake!  I don't think we needed a Sunday sermon from you about my post, LOL!  Look, I just wish that Sutton and ORU would bottle up that energy and motivation of beating TU and bring that every game.   Like I said earlier, if we take care of our business it doesn't matter.   We haven't for 3 years straight.  It just seems that after you beat us, it's back to mediocre ORU but by golly we beat TU!   This year has been another example of that.  I would love to see TU and ORU both in the Big Dance soon.  Hopefully this will be the year we go in spite of that "bad loss".   Take it easy OT, just breathe and enjoy the day and don't let that TUPond post get you thinking all kinds of craziness!

TUPond I'm a TU, OU, and ORU fan so there is no bias here but your posts make you sound really bitter man.

29 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

Saying that ORU should drop Tulsa off future schedules is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Finally, an ORU fan on this board making sense.  Take notes OT!

LOL - you two were made for each other.  I feel even better about my stance now.

Anyone who still thinks ORU needs to play TU is living in the past. 

And, yes, I know Coach Sutton is on record as wanting the series to continue, even home-and-home in the same season.

I respectfully disagree.  It's become a dud at the turnstiles no matter when it's played, it no longer excites the city like it used to, it fails to elevate either winner while typically damaging the loser, and rather than fostering mutual respect between the two programs, it's an annual source of acrimony, this latest snarkiness standing as a prime example.

That's not a winning proposition, any way you slice it.  In short, it's time to stick a fork in it, and move on.

It still produces ORU's best home crowd of the year.

It's ORU's only legitimate chance to get a (sorta) power conference team in the building in an era when those schools are playing fewer road games than ever (both vs. mid-majors and each other).

And it doesn't excite the city or elevate the winner like it used to because, frankly, neither team has been particularly good lately. It's pretty obvious that neither team is doing much to excite the city lately, whether it has to do with the Mayor's Cup or not. The lack of buzz around the Mayor's Cup is a symptom of an average product, not a root cause.

Playing on the second Saturday in November, in the middle of football's stretch run, doesn't help.

Move the game to the second weekend in December and have it be a matchup between two 7-1 teams coming off NCAA Tournament seasons and lack of excitement will not be a problem.

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman watched Tulsa lose at Temple 10 days ago...and also watched them play and lose at UCONN yesterday.....sorry but this Golden Hurricane team won't be in the NCAA tournament next month unless by some miracle they manage to win the AAC post season tournament....can't wait for ORU to beat them again next season at Mabee Center....:P

2 hours ago, Bad Blood said:

It still produces ORU's best home crowd of the year.

It's ORU's only legitimate chance to get a (sorta) power conference team in the building in an era when those schools are playing fewer road games than ever (both vs. mid-majors and each other).

And it doesn't excite the city or elevate the winner like it used to because, frankly, neither team has been particularly good lately. It's pretty obvious that neither team is doing much to excite the city lately, whether it has to do with the Mayor's Cup or not. The lack of buzz around the Mayor's Cup is a symptom of an average product, not a root cause.

Playing on the second Saturday in November, in the middle of football's stretch run, doesn't help.

Move the game to the second weekend in December and have it be a matchup between two 7-1 teams coming off NCAA Tournament seasons and lack of excitement will not be a problem.

Wow, I agree with most of that take.  Scary...

True, TU is often ORU's best attended home game, because of the reasons you described.  But, that may be more of an indictment of current scheduling efforts at ORU than just another indication of how difficult scheduling is these days. 

Frankly, I'm curious to see how the next ORU head coach/athletic director tandem fares when it comes to non-conference home scheduling.  Not saying that SS and MC aren't getting all the juice out of the proverbial orange, but we don't really have anything else to compare them to in modern times at 81st & Lewis, do we? 

Before we assume ORU can't live without TU acquiescing to an annual game, consider this for example:  instead of a four-year span that sees two TU games on campus, averaging 5K-6K fans per, how about OU and/or OSU and/or Arkansas playing two games total on campus over that same 4-year stretch before near-capacity crowds as part of 2-or-3-for-1 deals with each?

Now, THAT would excite the city! 

But, of course, the mere suggestion of such might be met with the usual, "We're ORU, that won't work, we can't get those guys to go along with it," blah, blah, blah.

And, rightfully so, perhaps.  But, out-of-the-box thinking when it comes to scheduling shouldn't just be dismissed out of hand.  Doesn't ORU have a heritage of rising to the challenge?  "Make No Small Plans Here" can apply to basketball scheduling too, can't it?  And why does the equation ALWAYS have to include bowing down to TU?

I promise you this:  if and when the day ever comes that ORU puts away childish things, and stops measuring its basketball worth by whether or not it plays/beats a run-of-the-mill mid-major like TU, then the program might finally gain the level of respect from local fans that it has so desperately sought all these years. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Bad Blood said:

...It's ORU's only legitimate chance to get a (sorta) power conference team in the building in an era when those schools are playing fewer road games than ever (both vs. mid-majors and each other)...

The San Diego Chargers sorta won the Super Bowl.

OT, I'm just not sure you realize how difficult it is to get Power 5 teams to play true road games nowadays in non-conference play. Even those 3-for-1's just don't happen much anymore.

SHOULD those schools play more road games? Would it make the product feel more meaningful in November and December? We talked about this in a different thread before the season and we all agree the answer is "yes", but it's just not happening.

Schools would rather play lots of home games, one neutral site tournament and a couple of neutral site "road" games, and until they're forced to change I can't blame them. It's self-preservation 

look at the team's you mentioned. OSU played ZERO true road games this year before Big 12. They played a tournament in Charleston and neutral site games vs. Minnesota and Florida. Never stepped in another team's gym until conference.

It should be noted they played three non-con road games in 2014-15, but those were against South Carolina, Memphis and Missouri. They aren't traveling to mid-majors.

Arkansas played two non-con rod games this year, Dayton and Wake Forest. Again, not many games, non at mid-majors.

I can't find a non-conference road game for Arkansas against a mid-major since 2008, when they played at Missouri State and South Alabama. Oklahoma State's last road mid-major game was also at Missouri state, in 2011.

Those games just aren't out there, for ORU or any other mid-major