IUPUI at ORU

theeagleman5

The Jaguars come to T-town tonight to face the slumping Golden Eagles.....IUPUI has lost 2 games in a row (both on the road) at SDSU and Denver but are 7-4 in the Summit and have won 4 of 6 since a loss to ORU at home in January.....TheEagleman isn't really sure what to say here....we have lost 5 in a row and 12 of our last 15.....but honestly, we should have won several of those games....I know....shoulda/coulda/woulda......it's no excuse....we have deservedly lost all of those games....But as an eternal optimist, TheEagleman says that the 5 game streak ends at Mabee Center tonight....we are due to break out with a big win and tonight will be our night....Coach Sutton riles up the troops and Obi scores 32 to lead ORU to an 82-73 victory over IUPUI......GO BLUE!!!....:lol:

ORU is a 5 point favorite tonight.....TheEagleman is going to tease/parlay the Golden Eagles with Denver who is a 4.5 point favorite at home vs. woeful WIU....so I get ORU +1 and Denver  +1.5....but both have to win or I lose...just going light tonight because ORU not playing great ball....but tonight the streak will end!......;)

ORU jumps out to a 23-5 lead on the Jaguars.....Obi with 11 quick points....it's the Gold unis..I like it!....:)

IUPUI battling but ORU up 40-27 at half....love the GOLD!....:P

ORU rolling now up 59-41 with nine minutes left...Obi with 19 and Owens 13....Conley staying out of foul trouble with 8 points.....:o

Even though we won, Its hard to be terribly happy this team showed up tonight. It just goes to show what this team SHOULD have been. <_<.  If they can play like tis they may just make something of this seemingly wasted season. Lets hope so.

• Upvote 1

Good point there, Big....this team is a lot better than it's shown over the past 2 months (3-12 before tonight)....but the 77-56 win tonight is impressive considering IUPUI has played some pretty good basketball over the past few weeks....maybe this will propel ORU to start playing the way we need to play in order to advance in the post season tournament....but let's just take it one game at a time and enjoy the victory....Obi had a double-double tonight with 21 and 13....Owens had 13 points and Conley 12....we protected the ball well with just 10 turnovers and outrebounded the Jags by 5.....51% shooting doesn't hurt either....time to string some wins together and with Western Illinois coming to town we certainly have a shot to do that....looks like we will wear the Gold again on Saturday....GO GOLD!....B)

congrats to the coaches and players....first time in months we have seen the team that beat TU.

very obvious that Coach Sutton has not lost the team; it's time for the guys to back it up and get on a good roll to end conference play

everyone stepped up, but this team is a lot better when that Conley shows up. what a great stat line for Brandon!

TheEagleman agrees that Conley is a key to this team....when he shows up and stays out of foul trouble....ORU plays much better.....how about Denver losing at home to WIU last night....that cost TheEagleman his teaser bet but I did double down on ORU straight up -5 so I ended up the night about even.....looks like WIU hasn't thrown in the towel so the game Saturday night should be a good one...ORU will need to bring the same A game that we did last night.....wearing the Gold uniforms will also be imperative....:rolleyes:

Crazy stat...

Two Summit MBB teams are tied with the longest current win streak (2 games).  Name them...

#8 South Dakota

#9 Western Illinois

• Upvote 1

There was a lot to like about last night's game. I saw a lot more aggression on the part of our team; they acted like they really wanted to win! I was also glad to see Scott and Sean on their feet on the sidelines, yelling and urging players on and having words with the refs. 

There was balanced scoring, several steals, not too many turnovers, not too many missed shots, nearly everyone got to play--a very satisfying game. I'm hoping for more of the same tomorrow night. The only negative last night was that my car wouldn't start when I left Mabee. But it's been diagnosed and will be fixed and I'll have a car to get me to Mabee tomorrow!

Yes....SD whipped up on NDSU last night....the Bison are struggling....frankly, if the ORU team we saw last night had showed up in Fargo last week it would have been no contest.....so does TheEagleman understand correctly that only 8 teams make the Summit Tournament?...the 9th place team is ineligible???...:o

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Yes....SD whipped up on NDSU last night....the Bison are struggling....frankly, if the ORU team we saw last night had showed up in Fargo last week it would have been no contest.....so does TheEagleman understand correctly that only 8 teams make the Summit Tournament?...the 9th place team is ineligible???...:o

The 9th place team is ineligible.  

If you want to look at the schedule (just what seeds play what seeds and what day and time they play), you can go to thesummitleague.org.  If you go to Championships and then either MBB or WBB you can get the schedule.  If that doesn't work, you can go to sdsufans.com and they have an attachment that will bring you right to the Summit League page.  

They only had 7 teams two years ago because Omaha wasn't eligible and ORU wasn't in the league so the #1 seeds had a bye but the last two years it was a normal 8 team bracket with the #1 and #2 seed playing on Saturday so they not only get to play the #7 and #8 seeds but they get a day of rest so they don't have to play 3 days in a row.

I think this year it is about as open as it gets.  Whatever team gets the #8 seed could give the #1 seed a good game.  I don't know if you can say that very often.  I was wondering if USD would either miss the tournament or get the #8 seed but that might not happen now.  They only have to travel 60 miles to play there so that could be a tough out.  They did lose a starting guard so who knows how that will accept their team.

over Biggest difference that I saw in the team last night was that they shot the ball well and played with confidence.  Making baskets covers for a lot of other problems (not saying there were a lot).  In some of the poor outings we've had recently it seemed like we couldn't buy a bucket.  Last night  we were almost scoring with ease.  That adds confidence and improves other parts of the game, like defense and rebounding.  On nights when shooting is off it seems like nothing goes right.

The other thing notable about last night's game was that it may have been the best officiating job I've seen at Mabee Center this season, and maybe over the past several years.  I've said this before, and I think OT has said this as well - when a game is well officiated it's almost like the officials fade into the background - they become almost invisible.  That's how I thought last night went.  The refs were in control, but didn't try to control, if you know what I mean.  They called fouls, the obvious ones, but not the ticky-tack kind.  Then they called out of bounds possessions, and that was about it.  THEY LET BOTH TEAMS PLAY.  Right at the end of the game there were a couple of fairly obvious fouls that went uncalled, one at each end, I believe.  In each case the ball went out of bounds and possession was awarded to the fouled team.  People with me thought that they should have called the fouls, but I thought they called it right.  In the closing seconds of the game shooting free throws would only drag out the game and wouldn't change a thing.  That's my opinion, and apparently it was theirs as well.  So much different than the last couple games where the refs called fouls on almost every possession, especially late in the game, and completely controlled the tempo.  That sort of officiating ruins a game and is frustrating to all - players and fans alike.  And it's typical in the Summit League, especially on Saturday nights.

Don't be too hard on the team, Isbig.  It's really all about what they do from here on that counts.

As alum said, Conley had a great night.  I loved seeing him smiling ear to ear as he came off the court.  I loved it even more when he was the garbage man, cleaning up missed shots and putting them back in the hoop!

Defense may have been the best we've played all year.  What was up with all the blocked shots??  It was like Rocky Walls was back in town!!

After listening to how down Coach Sutton was about the team in recent post-game interviews, and seeing his demeanor on the bench during those games, I was surprised to hear Coach Brown in the pre-game dinner talk about how up on this team Scott still is, and what a special group he thinks they are, and that he still thinks they can make some noise this season.  After last night, I think we have reason to believe he could be right.

After looking at the records, and the games remaining, it's virtually impossible for ORU to finish any higher than 6th.  They're currently still tied for 8th with SDU, who holds the tiebreaker with their sweep.  9th place is very unlikely, but a win over Western Saturday should eliminate any chance of not qualifying at all.

ORU will likely face either SDSU, Omaha or IPFW in the first round.  Best case scenario, frankly, is to finish 7th so they avoid (likely) No. 1 SDSU in their first game, yet still get to play on Saturday and have a day's rest on Sunday before a semifinal game on Monday.  3rd through 6th place first-round winners have to play 3 days in a row.

So, don't get too upset if ORU ends up 7th, or even 8th.  If they could pull off a first-round upset, they would actually be in nice position for the Monday/Tuesday semi's and finals.

Attendance appeared to be 2000 at cavernous Mabee Center last night from what I saw on TV....maybe ORU should think about building a smaller venue for basketball.....TheEagleman attended Niagara U. vs. Rider U today at the Broncs gym in Lawrenceville, NJ just outside of Trenton....the MAAC is a decent mid major league similar to the Summit League....Rider has a nice little place that seats  about 2000 and it was just about full for the game this afternoon and the place was rocking....that's a lot better than putting 2000 inside a 10,000 seat arena....Rider had a real home advantage today especially with the students sitting right on the floor...TheEagleman was in row 1 just taking it all in...a great college basketball atmosphere.....I know we have problems getting fans but if we played in a building more like the old HRC it sure would give us a much better home advantage....just sayin'.....I know it won't ever happen but it's something to ponder.....ORU will never have many games with over 5000 fans in attendance any more......:mellow:

Seriously?  Using that logic why don't we just cut a deal with Jenks HS to use their gym for all home games.  By the way and no offense but the MAAC is small time.

I love the Mabee too, but when was the last time we had more than a couple hundred fans in the blue seats? And more often than not, more than half of the gold section is left empty. An empty arena KILLS atmosphere. A full 5000 seat arena will always generate a more exciting, electric atmosphere and create more of a home court advantage than a half full 10,000 seat arena.