6th year for Obi

74Titan

9 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Any truth to the rumor that Conley is also applying for an extra year under the hardship rule because he fouled out of so many games that he really only played about 2 1/2 seasons.....:P

Well played. I've never seen a guy with that much talent and potential just absolutely not figure out how to stop picking up needless fouls. He always seemed to get at least 1 or 2 a game that anyone with chronic foul trouble should have known to stay away from. 

21 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

And Andrew was able to participate (sort of) in the NCAA Tournament. He was on that team - and made some big contributions late in the season. Sutton, for some inexplicable reason, never put Malloy into the game.

One of the great mysteries of Scott Sutton's coaching career.

On 4/9/2016 at 11:14 PM, ORUTex said:

Well played. I've never seen a guy with that much talent and potential just absolutely not figure out how to stop picking up needless fouls. He always seemed to get at least 1 or 2 a game that anyone with chronic foul trouble should have known to stay away from. 

Steven Roundtree:  even better talent, even worse at staying out of foul trouble. 

I saw him get three fouls in the first five minutes of a CBI game at SMU, and each foul was dumber than the next.  Ultimately cost ORU the game.

Yeah.....Roundtree was truly a wasted talent....that kid had so much natural ability.....but of course, it turned out that he had even bigger problems then taking ill advised fouls.....Steven really pissed away a good career and think about it....ORU had him, DoMo and Bell-Holter at the same time....that 27-6 team was REALLY good and should have gone to the NCAA tournament and won a game......I think it was mentioned a couple months ago that he had resurfaced somewhere to finish out his eligibility.....hope he got his life back in order...always seemed like a decent  humble kid....:mellow:

On 4/8/2016 at 2:38 PM, ORUTerry said:

Okay, by my calculations we have 12 players 'signed' and one verbal commitment outstanding:

1. Owens

2. White

3. Nzekwesi

4. Miller

5. Bradley

6. Martin

7. Anderson

8. Young

9. Jefferies

10. Harris

11. Manek

12. Smith

13. McDaniel (verbal)

14. Spencer Sutton

(nice video interview at link)   http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/oru/mensbasketball/sean-sutton-s-son-signs-basketball-scholarship-with-oru/article_b44512c3-8e5c-5ca3-b520-5898b1f690f1.html?mode=jqm

On April 8, 2016 at 2:14 PM, ORUalum said:

a well written article explaining a complex rule......kudos to the author.

i've got my fingers crossed for a favorable ruling.

The writer assumes Obi was given a redshirt year for 2013-14, which is not true; if it was, an NCAA waiver for another year of eligibility would not be needed.

There are NCAA rules in place that detail how much of one's season an athlete can miss and be eligible for a medical redshirt, but I believe those rules only apply if you're trying to get your fifth year back, not a sixth. It's my understand that those situations (which require a waiver) are determined on a case-by-case basis.

And that is where the writer of this article failed. Instead of spending more time talking to the compliance officer who presumably is an expert in these situations, she tried to interpret a very complex situation on her own. Frankly, I don't know any more about the situation now than I did before the article. 

He needs an NCAA waiver to get his sixth year back. We all knew that already.

Here is the updated roster for next year:

Okay, by my calculations we have 12 players 'signed' and two verbal commitments outstanding:

1. Owens

2. White

3. Nzekwesi

4. Miller

5. Bradley

6. Martin

7. Anderson

8. Young

9. Jefferies

10. Harris

11. Manek - signed in the Fall

12. Smith - signed in the Fall

13. McDaniel (verbal)

14. Jontray Harris (verbal)

This is one scholarship over the limit. If Obi is granted another year, that would be two scholarships over the limit.

On 4/13/2016 at 3:31 PM, Bad Blood said:

The writer assumes Obi was given a redshirt year for 2013-14, which is not true; if it was, an NCAA waiver for another year of eligibility would not be needed.

There are NCAA rules in place that detail how much of one's season an athlete can miss and be eligible for a medical redshirt, but I believe those rules only apply if you're trying to get your fifth year back, not a sixth. It's my understand that those situations (which require a waiver) are determined on a case-by-case basis.

And that is where the writer of this article failed. Instead of spending more time talking to the compliance officer who presumably is an expert in these situations, she tried to interpret a very complex situation on her own. Frankly, I don't know any more about the situation now than I did before the article. 

He needs an NCAA waiver to get his sixth year back. We all knew that already.

Has anyone ever just punched you in the face? :punch:

• Upvote 1