6th year for Obi

74Titan

What is the status on Obi Emegano getting a 6th year of eligibility? Even if he can get it, would Obi take it? Would accepting a 6th year hurt ORU's holding onto the young man from Olathe, KS? 

Good point....Obi has to have earned enough credits for a degree by this upcoming Spring....why would he want to hang around for another year of this?....time for #15 to move on to Europe or the NBA D-League where he can probably earn a nice paycheck....<_<

Moot point if he's ready to move on.  Would respect his decision either way.  He was sure a warrior last night; played his butt off.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, theeagleman5, for supplying the academic requirements. If (the operative word here) Obi could come back I can see at least two happenings: 1. He comes back to better his game; the team is even better with his continued presence and leadership. 2. Coming back could disrupt the balance of talent coming back, plus the kid from Olathe coming. It is possible that the team could be even better next season, with points spread more evenly (as long as others fill their roles). Ultimately, given the opportunity to come back, it's Obi's call to stay or go. As good as he is, Obi knows there's much he can do to improve his game to NBA-level quality. It should be interesting to see what unfolds. In the meantime there's a season to salvage and complete in a successful manner-making and winning the Summit League Tournament. Expect a Miracle (and play defense)!

this topic came up in Geoff's pre-game w/Coach Sutton.  i forget how Sutton worded it exactly, but is sounded like a 6th season for Obi is a real long shot.

i agree w/what others have said; it would be great to have Obi for another year, but would totally understand if he is ready to start making money for playing ball.

ORU Senior Standout Obi Emegano Grateful For The Road He's Traveled

ORU's Obi Emegano dunks the ball during his team's game against IUPUI at the Mabee Center in Tulsa on Thursday, February 11, 2016.56bd59124a3ac.image.jpg?resize=300%2C200

Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 12:00 am

By BEN JOHNSON World Correspondent

William Emegano paved the path to a better life for his family. Relocating his family from Nigeria to Oklahoma was his way of providing every conceivable avenue to a prosperous future.

In December 1995, two months after Emegano arrived in the United States, his wife, Lucia, and four children successfully migrated across the Atlantic Ocean. The youngest of the four children is Oral Roberts senior guard Obi Emegano, who took full advantage of his father’s uprooting of the family.

“As a young boy, I never thought I’d be here today,” Emegano said. “But I know one thing: My parents expected nothing less. That’s why we moved here — for my brothers and myself to be presented with such opportunities. It is truly a blessing.”

Since his family moved to Edmond, Emegano has not been able to visit his home country. Basketball has hindered his desire to travel to Nigeria and see the family members who still reside in Africa’s most populous country.

He said he hopes to change that this summer.

“My family goes back e56a45ca88fd6d.image.jpg?resize=300%2C443ach year, and I have never been able to because I am always in season,” Emegano said. “Last year, my grandmother passed away and I was never able to meet her, so that kind of hit me hard. My grandma’s one wish was to see me, and I was never able to make that happen.”

Emegano’s goal in getting back to Nigeria is to introduce himself to his aging grandfather.

“My grandpa just turned 98 a couple weeks ago,” he said. “He is doing well, as far as health goes, but I would hate for him to pass without me meeting him, either. If he passes, one of my biggest regrets would be never meeting my grandparents.”

That plan is on Emegano’s summer calendar. For now, though, he has one final home game to play at the Mabee Center, when ORU hosts Denver (13-13, 5-8 Summit League) on Friday night.

“Time flies so fast,” said Emegano, who graduated from Edmond Memorial and headed to Western Illinois before transferring to ORU. “I remember my first year here, (and) as a young man all you want to do is graduate and get out of college. Now I’m looking back wishing I could spend more time in college.”

From overcoming a torn ACL his sophomore season to shrugging off a torn labrum in his shoulder before his senior campaign, Emegano has endured a litany of injuries at ORU. Those recoveries have caused Emegano to count his blessings.

“The best moments of my life probably would have to be overcoming the injuries I have had,” said Emegano, who has scored 1,278 points during his three seasons with the Golden Eagles (13-14, 5-8).

“Amongst others, I am just thankful I get to wake up every morning and pursue my dreams doing what I love.”

One void in Emegano’s career at ORU has been a Summit League championship and a resulting NCAA Tournament berth. That’s disappointing, considering Emegano’s individual success, ORU coach Scott Sutton said.

“Obviously Obi is a terrific player,” Sutton said. “I’m not sure we’ve had a guy who has worked harder day in and day out. It’s unfortunate for him that our teams haven’t been a little bit better.”

This year Emegano’s 23.2 points per game ranks seventh in the country. He’s also in the nation’s top 70 in free throws made, field goals made and field goals attempted.

“I’m disappointed that he’s not getting the recognition nationally since our team hasn’t been as good this year,” Sutton said.

Regardless of previous outcomes, Emegano said the collegiate experience has been a fun ride.

“My college years have been a tough roller coaster, to say the least,” Emegano said. “But I wouldn’t change the ride I’ve traveled for anything. Those experiences make me who I am, and the player I am today.”

:clap:......that's a fine young man....ORU is blessed to have had him on campus.....Obi will be successful in whatever he choses to do in life.....:up:

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Geez....has anybody ever had two Senior Nights?.....:eagles:

I would love for Obi to stick around.  That would make next year's team, with hopefully a stronger contribution from newly incoming forwards, much more formidable.

Of course the real reason that Obi wants to come back is that once you have tasted the Final Four in the Mid-Major Player of the Year competition, especially with a tough loss to an NJIT player still lingering in your mouth, you want to come back and take the title to silence all the doubters... 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

http://oruoracle.com/sports/emegano-eligible-for-sixth-year-policy-exception/

I figured Obi would be ready to move on from college ball at this point, but it sounds like he's interested in another year if he can get it. Will be interesting to see it play out. 

a well written article explaining a complex rule......kudos to the author.

i've got my fingers crossed for a favorable ruling.

12 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

i'm sure Coach Sutton would give Obi a framed jersey every home game next year if he could have him back...:D

Any truth to the rumor that Conley is also applying for an extra year under the hardship rule because he fouled out of so many games that he really only played about 2 1/2 seasons.....:P

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Andrew Malloy.

• Upvote 2

I think Malloy might have had 3 or 4....he was around for what seemed like a decade.....;)

And Andrew was able to participate (sort of) in the NCAA Tournament. He was on that team - and made some big contributions late in the season. Sutton, for some inexplicable reason, never put Malloy into the game.

Okay, by my calculations we have 12 players 'signed' and one verbal commitment outstanding:

1. Owens

2. White

3. Nzekwesi

4. Miller

5. Bradley

6. Martin

7. Anderson

8. Young

9. Jefferies

10. Harris

11. Manek

12. Smith