Sutton and Conference Tournament results

ORUalum

in the 12 tournaments not held in Tulsa, Sutton has 0 tournament championships and only 1 championship game appearance.

• Year             League Finish               Bowed out of the Tournament
  • 99-00                     6th                                  2nd round
  • 00-01                     7th                                  2nd round
  • 01-02                     2nd                                 2nd round
  • 02-03                     4th                                  1st round
  • 03-04                     4th                                  1st round
  • 08-09                     2nd                                 1st round
  • 09-10                     3rd                                  2nd round
  • 10-11                     2nd                               Champ Game
  • 11-12                     1st                                  2nd round
  • 12-13                     3rd                                 2nd round (1st rd bye)
  • 13-14                     6th                                 2nd round
  • 14-15                     3rd                                 2nd round

Sutton should get credit for winning the league the 4 years it was in Tulsa and winning the tournament 3 of those years.  however, since the tournament will never again be played in Tulsa, things don't look so good for ORU returning to the big dance anytime soon if the past is any kind of predictor.

This is incredibly discouraging. I didn't realize just how irrelevant we have been other than the four years when the tournament was here. 

Hey....we are what we are.....a mid mid major at best...maybe a low mid major now....big name coaches aren't lining up to come to 7777 South Lewis....Scott Sutton is a good man and a decent coach....I remember back in the 70's when his dad resisted OR's overtures to coach at ORU.......unless you wanna blow it all up and start over which would probably mean getting rid of Mike Carter too....TheEagleman doesn't see that happening.....we have some decent young talent on this team to build on and some good recruits coming next year.....I know that the past is a good indicator of the future and the past stats above are bleak....but at this point we just have to ride it out....Something Good Might Just Happen To Us......;)

not saying anyone should be fired.  i have no clue on travel, recruiting budgets etc; so it's hard to know if they are on equal footing with the public schools in the league.  we do know that a number of Summit schools are coming on line w/cost of tuition payments and ORU has not said a peep about if they will do likewise.  i think we also know that ORU has the most expensive bench in the league.  the results when not having the tournament in Tulsa are quite clear........very pedestrian.

maybe they just need to finish 5th in the league....haven't taken a crack at the tournament from that spot.  perhaps that's the ticket.B)

Well....we are not likely to finish 5th this season....more likely 6th or lower......unless this team has a complete confidence turn around it's hard to believe we can win a game in Sioux Falls this year....but in all honesty, from the games that TheEagleman has watched this season, the only team that I feel we can't beat on any given night is South Dakota State...so who knows?....but right now my expectations have to be low.....it's been a rough last 7 weeks.....:blink:

It could be argued that Scott's strongest four teams coincidentally had the added advantage of playing the tournament in Tulsa.

I think it's fair to assume that at least one or two of the Caleb & Ken teams would have fared just as well in Sioux Falls as at the UMAC, and additionally, that the Dominique Morrison-led teams might have won it all, IF the tournament been held in Tulsa.

The Summit League has an admirable track record of the best teams actually making the finals and/or winning it all.  ORU, Oakland, and the XDSU's have all had powerful runs in the regular season that culminated in tournament championships. 

But, it is true that ORU has the most instances of taking highly-seeded teams to Sioux Falls only to stub their toe in the early rounds...

18 hours ago, Old Titan said:

It could be argued that Scott's strongest four teams coincidentally had the added advantage of playing the tournament in Tulsa.

I think it's fair to assume that at least one or two of the Caleb & Ken teams would have fared just as well in Sioux Falls as at the UMAC, and additionally, that the Dominique Morrison-led teams might have won it all, IF the tournament been held in Tulsa.

I agree with this. It's not the location, it's the players.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm tired of less than lackluster results season after season. I was at ORU during the 3 NCAA run's and it felt good WINNING. I looked forward to the games. It's ok to question whether we need a new coach. A new and fresh perspective on the court may be what we need. Sometimes just having a new face, regardless weather he's a better recruiter or coach, can be good for the organization. I guarantee you we can hire a new and hungry up and coming assistant coach willing to steer this ship for a couple seasons. It's how we found Bill Self and he turned out to be a pretty good coach. Sutton has been loyal to ORU, but I'm not loyal to losing. Another year of sub par playing and I'm hoping for change. 

ORU still has limited resources vs many of the other Summit League teams and yet Sutton has had only 1-2 losing seasons over 16 years.  Be careful what you wish for.  There is never a guarantee that a fresh new face will maintain the consistent level of winning.  It could always be a lot worse.

Ah.....the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.....always a good argument.....it's probably best just to be patient and evaluate things when the season is over....but yeah, we have been treading water during the past few years since Domo left.....and compared to where ORU was 8-10 years ago it's no comparison....we just need to get the right players.....:mellow:

20 hours ago, ORUJason said:

ORU still has limited resources vs many of the other Summit League teams and yet Sutton has had only 1-2 losing seasons over 16 years.  Be careful what you wish for.  There is never a guarantee that a fresh new face will maintain the consistent level of winning.  It could always be a lot worse.

Really sad how low expectations are around here. I have been a supporter of Scott but you can't look at that record above and not wonder what the heck is going on. 

• Upvote 1

Agreed, WingMan. The low expectations are disappointing. While I hope we never become dillusional like our friends at 11th and Harvard who ask for a new coach after every loss, I don't think the questions being raised are inappropriate. If we truly do have the most expensive bench in the league, is mediocrity really acceptable? Outside of Tulsa, we have been to the Summit championship game ONCE in twelve Sutton-era attempts. And by the looks of it, we're headed for a first round exit again. 

Scott has been loyal to ORU for years and  that should be rewarded. I sincerely hope that he's on our bench for years to come, but at what point does pressure need to be applied? And at what point does the job security of his staff come into question? 

• Upvote 1

I don't know if staff changes are warranted, but I definitely think that the assistants need to do a better job, both in recruiting and in game management.

An example from last night:  ORU should have never been in the position with :16 left having to foul four times to force 1-and-1 free throws.  In the previous couple of NDSU possessions, ORU should have been trapping and fouling the ball in the backcourt to get the foul total up to 6 fouls.  At worse, the Bison simply inbound the ball again, at best ORU gets a steal off the trap or on the ensuing inbound pass.

One of the suits on the bench has to be in charge of keeping track of that sort of thing - not everything down the stretch is on the players and/or Scott.

Just put Conley in the game....he has no problem committing fouls....oh yeah, he was long gone by that time.....that kid has had a very disappointing senior season. He rarely plays more that 12-15 minutes without picking up 5 fouls and we have missed his rebounding presence late in games...like last night when we needed that board with 5 seconds left.....:angry: