IPFW at ORU

theeagleman5

with a week until the next game, ORU has a chance to figure some things out and salvage what is left of the season. 

the defense did seem better.  they also need to find a Robin to Obi's Batman.  he can't carry the entire offensive load. he's playing a ton of minutes and may have been fatigued in crunch time.

Honestly, most of us thought this was an 18-20 win team at the beginning of the season....I think TheEagleman predicted 17....but now I can't see how ORU will win even 15.....oh well...the good news is that our ladies are playing pretty good basketball and ORU baseball starts in 3 weeks.....BATTER UP!!!..:rolleyes:

To me, the defining moment of the night was late in the second half. We were still up a few points.

We bring the ball up the floor, someone (Obi, I think) makes a simple pass to Darian Harris (25 seconds on the shot clock). IPFW was exerting no pressure and their defenders got confused, leaving Darian with the ball, right at the 3-point line, standing wide open by a mile. Darian doesn't even think about stepping into the wide open 3-point shot, but stops and waits to pass the ball, to "set-up" the offensive play. IPFW gets to their defensive assignments and we proceed to move the ball around and then put up a bad/contested shot, with under 5 seconds on the shot clock.

It just seems to me that we are WAY over-thinking the room. It seems like we just don't have our mental "mojo". Playing with almost no confidence.

I want that team that started the year 8-2 back...

• Upvote 1

I totally agree.  I went to the TU game that we won to gain the 8-2 record.  That was the best defensive game of the year.  They played solid defense for 40 minutes, had good ball movement on offense, played with confidence, and hit clutch shots.  

I don't understand where that team went. A couple 20 point losses caused them to go into a shell and I'm not sure they have recovered yet.  Scott needs to figure out how to get this team to return to the form they had 6-8 weeks ago.  Perhaps that means returning to the player rotation they had 6-8 weeks ago because some of the lineups Scott has put on the floor lately make you scratch your head a little, and foul trouble and injuries are not always to blame.

TheEagleman can't argue with all of the above....I would put Albert Owens, Jeffries, Martin, Obi and Young out there every night and let those guys play 25 or more minutes and splice in some Bradley, White, Harris and Anderson....too many substitutions and some strange combos....we are too small most of the time.....but as Coach said...there IS a reason why IPFW is 17-6....they are a pretty good squad....that being said....ORU should have won last night.....:angry:....anybody know when was the last time we lost 3 in a row at home?

Does anyone know how they choose who speaks to the media after the game? Really expected Obi to go out there, especially after this three game slide. 

It appears complacency has set in for this coaching staff. While Scott seems bummed out, it feels more like ho-hum than we have to get them next time. Really disappointing moment in ORU basketball history. 

16 hours ago, WingMaaaan said:

It appears complacency has set in for this coaching staff. While Scott seems bummed out, it feels more like ho-hum than we have to get them next time. Really disappointing moment in ORU basketball history.

Do we really win anything anymore though (besides baseball)? While the mediocre basketball is disappointing, I think it goes deeper than that. It seems we have never recovered to the league power we were before we went to the Southland. Is it a regression on our side, or is the competition just getting better while we are standing still? 

• Upvote 1

Excellent point, Maniac.....seems to TheEagleman that ORU is standing still while others in the Summit are just getting better and better....and all that football money coming in at schools like NDSU isn't going to help us either...heck, I watched Omaha play hockey on cable last night and there was a good crowd and they have a pretty good team.....ORU isn't generating any money in any sport now that men's basketball is lucky to draw 2500-3000 per game...and we won't dominate baseball much longer in the Summit if these trends continue....yes, ORU sports are standing still while the rest of the Summit improves year after year......:(