Omaha at ORU

theeagleman5

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

"Time to tank"?  LOL

not sure they even need to tank....just play out the string....i think finishing toward the bottom of the league will work itself out.

on a serious note, i hope they get things figured out....painful to see them playing so poorly, especially at Mabee.

• Upvote 1

The more games you win, the less chance you have to be stuck in the play in game if you make the NCAA tournament.  A 15 seed is better than a 16 seed.  Obviously you should win every game you can.

Hey....TheEagleman would love to see ORU in the NCAA play in game.....first of all, it means we won the Summit League Tournament and also we get a nationally televised game on ESPN  in prime time (good publicity) and it's a winnable game against another 16 seed....need I remind everyone that ORU has not won an NCAA game since 1974 when we defeated Syracuse and Louisville....ah, those were the days......:rolleyes:

Oakland touts their play-in game victory from a few seasons back as an "NCAA tournament win".

And if there was ever a season where a 16 might beat a 1, this is it. No great teams have yet emerged. That team in the 4th 1-Seed is going to be talented, but flawed.

Same holds true for the Summit League:. From what I've seen so far on this first go-around in conference play, a half dozen teams are capable of cutting down the nets in Sioux Falls - including ORU. 

I think our best bet to win the conference tournament and any games in general, the rest of this season, is to go "big" and make games into slugfests.

Although, being SO thin on bigs, that's going to be tough...

21 hours ago, oruvoice said:

I think our best bet to win the conference tournament and any games in general, the rest of this season, is to go "big" and make games into slugfests.

Although, being SO thin on bigs, that's going to be tough...

This ^^^^

Would love to see more of the half-court, "inside-out" offense that has been a staple of Scott Sutton's best teams in the past. 

This roster can't get to the rim from out top; need to pound the rock in the paint, and kick out for 3's when there's not a shot down low.

I think we rotate way too much.  Every time a player makes a mistake, Sutton immediately makes a substitution for them.  I say play AY, Jaylen, Obi, Brandon and White for the whole first half and see what happens.  Obi plays 39-40 minutes a game. Why cant these other guys?  Leave them in there and let them develop some chemistry.  They have nothing to lose.  

• Upvote 1

ideally i think Sutton would like play inside out.  the problem is has does not have a consistent post scorer.

• Owens two post moves are a off balanced hook shot and a baseline fade away jumper.
  • Conley is what he is - an undersized post that does best cleaning up the offensive glass and knocking down an occasional jumper
  • White might have the most upside, but the early injury set his development back;  could have used a year to put on 25 lbs of muscle

Marcus Lewis and Caleb Green certainly are not on this team; you don't even have a King, DBH; Michalic (sp?) or even a Henderson

show me the post Sutton has on the roster that can back a guy down; muscle him; use good footwork; and convert into high percentage buckets.

having said all that....i am not in favor of the 4 guard lineups that all too often are being deployed.

let's also be honest about something....if Bill Self were still coach and thought that the big Nigerian kid could help him win one game, that red-shirt would have been gone after the first practice.  to Coach Sutton's credit, if the kid is as advertised, he seems to have his best interest at heart in trying to get him 4 full years of playing time.

Great point about the Nigerian redshirt.  This team also doesn't have a Shawn Glover or Derrick Taylor, but there is still some talent that can win a lot of games if used and coached correctly.