Omaha at ORU

theeagleman5

The first place Mavericks come to Tulsa having won 7 of 8 with the only loss in OT against the team they are tied with IPFW.....after Thursday nights' debacle vs. SDSU, TheEagleman isn't very optimistic....we just didn't come to play and 99% of the ORU students didn't come to watch.....TheEagleman hopes for a better turnout on a weekend but who knows....maybe they just don't care about this team any more.....but TheEagleman still cares and I am hoping the somehow we can turn things around in 48 hours...this is really a game that we need to win...can't afford to lose a 3rd Summit home game.....Omaha is very good and two of their best players are front court guys at 6-7 and 6-8.....not sure we will have an answer for that...I will say that if we hold them under 75 we will win...but I have to be honest....I am just not feeling it....perhaps I should have waited until tomorrow to make this prediction but with 12-24 inches of snow predicted for Saturday here on the east coast, there is no guarantee that the blizzard won't knock out power....so TheEagleman has to call it... Omaha 88  ORU 81.  OUCH!...:(

Fascinating quandary for Scott: do you try to slow the Mavs down, or do you stick with what you do best and try to outscore them at home?

I say first team to 85 wins. If it's in the 70's, I like ORU in a close one.

P.S.  About the students:  there were a lot more there in the 2nd half than at tip-off. 

There just wasn't much to cheer about after halftime...

ORU is actually a 1 point favorite.....I might have to go with the visitors tonight....still pondering.....TheEagleman already is 1-0 in the Summit today with an easy NDSU win at WIU...I also have SDSU -6 at South Dakota and the Jacks are currently up 7 early in the 2nd half....also going with IPFW -6 over IUPUI.....<_<

well...another loss on the home court

don't understand starting 4 guards.....you are letting Omaha dictate the game.

great coaching by Omaha up 2.....isolated Bradley....1-on-1 for the easy 5ft bucket to seal the victory.  Bradley never had a chance...

not sure why Bradley was on the court in a must stop possession.

Obi then takes the ball up court like there is 60 seconds left instead of 16 and that's it.

Great games from Conley and Bradley.....let's hope the message of not playing tonight was clearly received by Albert going forward the rest of the season....

On January 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Old Titan said:

Fascinating quandary for Scott: do you try to slow the Mavs down, or do you stick with what you do best and try to outscore them at home?

I say first team to 85 wins. If it's in the 70's, I like ORU in a close one.

P.S.  About the students:  there were a lot more there in the 2nd half than at tip-off. 

There just wasn't much to cheer about after halftime...

First to 85 wins......nicely done OT.....got any thoughts on tomorrow's football games....:D

It's a sad state of affairs at Mabee Center....we have no answers....this season has gone down the drain after an 8-2 start....3-9 since....unless something miraculous happens we are one and done in Sioux Falls....I had Omaha tonight +1 which was good....but lost with IPFW and SDSU...both failed to cover....but NDSU did....so it's a split for me in the Summit.....:unsure:

Ken Tutt was a great ORU Golden Eagle and sounds like he has become a fine man.....are we absolutely sure he doesn't have another year of eligibility left?.....:blink:

• Upvote 1

Great crowd last night. It was not only large, but also very active. Unfortunately, we were never really able to capitalize on momentum from the crowd. 

You've got to appreciate the character of this team. They continue to work their butts off, and you can see the desire is there. For some reason, it's just not coming together yet. Would be nice if our coach didn't throw his players under the bus after every tough loss.

Omaha is a pretty solid team.  ORU is talented but inconsistent but has definitely not come together yet as a team.  As a result, a solid team like Omaha will beat us unless we are shooting well and hitting 3 pointers.  Last night we missed some shots we normally make, including 3 shots in a row within 5-8 feet by Obi, Brandon, and Jalen over the last 2-3 minutes of the game when it was tied and up for grabs.

As has been mentioned before, we are running a 4-guard lineup about half the game, and a 3-guard lineup the rest of the game.  Perhaps Albert Owens is in Scott Sutton's doghouse, because he played about 20 seconds last night in a game where we could certainly have used him defensively.  Scott is playing Brandon, Javan, and Daquan at the forward positions right now and half the time only one of them is in the game.  That leaves us wide open for drives to the basket when we only have 1 forward in the game vs. 2 Omaha forwards who each appeared to be at least 6'8" or so.  There were many defensive mismatches such as the drive to the basket vs. Jalen Bradley at the end of the game.  

We can complain about our lack of defensive success, but part of it was due to foul trouble by Javan and Brandon.  The guards are defending as best they can against taller players and it is unrealistic to expect that we won't be in a disadvantage defensively and from a rebounding perspective due to the match-ups.  Why not start Brandon and Javan, and sub in Albert and Daquan whenever the forwards need a break?  Then you can at least have 2 forwards in the game at all times.  If things continue as they are, this team is capable of going 5-3 or 4-4 the rest of the way, but that leaves us at 8-8 or 7-9 in the conference and probably a 5-seed or 6-seed in the conference tournament.  That means we would have to win 4 games to make the NCAA tournament and with this team that seems a little bit of a stretch.

I do believe this team has talent, and Javan White finally being healthy is a big plus.  Defense will determine if we can be a 3-4 seed instead of a 5-6 seed and then only need to win 3 games in the conference tournament to get to the NCAAs.  I think at this point we would have to go 8-0 to capture a 1-2 seed and I don't see that happening.  Hopefully the coaches and players can get this figured out.

My greatest all-time pet peeve with coaches of my favorite college and professional teams:  choosing to scheme in defense of what the other team does well, rather than dictating terms with your own strengths.

Omaha has the one line-up in the league where ORU might have some sort of advantage inside with Albert Owens on the block, so what happens? 

ORU starts and sticks with a four-guard line-up most of the night and tries instead to do what Omaha does best:  play small.

Look, I understand making adjustments, if your bread-and-butter approach isn't working.  That's coaching.

But, giving up in advance on a core strength (and an opponent's weakness) before even trying it

I just don't get that - it smacks of doubt and desperation.

• Upvote 1

+1 for Old Titan....his analysis is correct.....whatever we are doin' ain't workin' for the past 6 weeks (3-9)....time for a change up or we will finish at or near the bottom of the Summit with road games still to play at NDSU, SDSU, SD and Omaha.....:blink:

6 hours ago, ORUJason said:

That means we would have to win 4 games to make the NCAA tournament and with this team that seems a little bit of a stretch.

only need to win 3 games in the conference tournament to get to the NCAAs.  

Every team will have to win 3 games in Sioux Falls to make the NCAA Tournament. The advantage of being a 1-2, 7-8 seed is that you get a day off after the 1st round. Teams that are the 3-6 seeds will have to win 3 games in 3 days compared to 3 games in 4 days. 

10 hours ago, SanDakotaState said:

Every team will have to win 3 games in Sioux Falls to make the NCAA Tournament. The advantage of being a 1-2, 7-8 seed is that you get a day off after the 1st round. Teams that are the 3-6 seeds will have to win 3 games in 3 days compared to 3 games in 4 days. 

Makes a valid point:  since there's absolutely no hope of ORU finishing 1st or 2nd, finishing 7th or 8th has it's advantages, particularly if the first-round opponent is not one of the Dakota schools.

"Time to tank"?  LOL