NDSU at ORU

Texasgrip

The D was better but TheEagleman still has a bad taste in his mouth over the final 10 seconds....it was so poorly played in many ways...but the inbounds pass from under the basket with 3 secs left still boggles the mind.....oh well....I still think that main thing that broke the streak was the plaid sports jacket worn by Scott Sutton....he needs to keep wearing it at IUPUI on Wednesday night!....:P

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Old Titan

• ORUalum

• titansforever

Those weren't students in the student section. Those were family members of the kids from Sapulpa who provided halftime entertainment. ^_^

9 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Those weren't students in the student section. Those were family members of the kids from Sapulpa who provided halftime entertainment. ^_^

Cute, but hardly accurate:  the were hundreds of students up and chanting in that section as the game wound down, and dozens were at the rail to shake hands with the players after the mid-court prayer.

Those families all bugged out after the obligatory filming of Little Suzy's halftime performance on their iPhones.

Good observations.... Here are a few of mine that hopefully are not redundant:

1. I thought we played with better defensive effort. We got caught in some mismatches, but that will happen when you play a relatively small lineup. I liked that we mixed the defenses up - going with what looked like different zones... including a matchup. Did we play a box-and-one for a couple of possessions? I think playing zone defense and also getting caught on switches negatively impacted our rebounding on the defensive side.

2. We slowed the pace of the game down in the latter part of the second half. We seem to do better with a quicker pace. It didn't help that we stopped making shots.

3. Conley and Owens shot the ball well. We needed to go to them more in the latter part of the game - notwithstanding Owen's late turnover. I would like to see us play a taller line up more.

4. NDSU players seem to drag their pivot foot. They could have been call for traveling more than they were. The Bison pass the ball well and work hard for an open shot.

5. The last turnover was Bradley's fault. The pass was made to Emegano and he stepped in front of it. Bad spacing.

I didn't have an issue with the refs. Sure, they missed a couple, but I felt it was evened out. We got a couple of calls.

Nice win, especially considering Obi had a rough game.

And don't look now, but it sure looks to me like we've found our point guard and his name is Aaron Young. That little sucker has some heart and our most efficient 3-point shooter!

And, OT is right. The student number was pretty good Saturday night, although they didn't get into the game until the final few minutes. However, the energy/chants they brought down the stretch really helped the atmosphere.

One more comment:  left through the tunnel after the game and almost literally ran into freshman non-qualifier Chris Miller and the new transfer from Weber State, Emmanual Nzekwesi.

Those of you who bother to read my stuff on here know how much I joke about roster heights, and how standing next to a player who lists himself as "6-foot-whatever" can be a sobering experience when you find yourself actually looking down at them.

Not the case this time:  this was a couple of BIG dudes.  Really looking forward to see if either can contribute immediately next year underneath.

Not to mention Kellen Manek...

Throw those 3 in with Albert & Javan, and we'll have more size and presumably quality depth, than we've had in quite some time.

18 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Not to mention Kellen Manek...

Throw those 3 in with Albert & Javan, and we'll have more size and presumably quality depth, than we've had in quite some time.

And, in terms of "contributing", I'm reminded of a quote I saw the other day from Draymond Green of the Golden State Warriors, where in the preseason of his rookie year he was asked if he expected to get much playing time on a team with so many talented veterans.

He responded, "I've never seen the best defensive player on a team not get to play.  I've never seen the best rebounder on a team not get to play.  I know if I can do either or both of those things, the playing time will take care of itself."

Great quote... and those (defense & rebounding) are two things are directly connected to effort, hustle and desire - not necessarily talent/athleticism.

It was a very exciting game. That ending was insane.  I can't believe we won without hitting a field goal in the last 5 minutes.  Coach said after the last game, he made a mistake in not going with AY earlier in the season.  That kid has alot of heart and is a good point guard, no matter how small he may look out there.  Anderson is definitely falling off.  One possesion near the end, he handeled the ball for 18 seconds, drove around aimlessly and put up a terrible shot.  Not sure what he was doing.  I would ride AY all the way from here on out.  

I love Obi, but he needs to lessen his focus on being the man.  He's a black hole right now when he gets the ball.  I'd love to see him pass out to one of several open guys when he is down there on the block.  If he could raise his assists a few notches, it could really help the team. Jalen looked frustrated all night.  He only gets points on transition it seems like.  Drive and kick, Obi! Jalen is out there all by himself!

Also, anybody else think our half court game is just plain boring?  And not at all creative?  That game turned around when ORU came out running and gunning.  We are at our best when we are pushing and pressing.  Those guys are too small to play that half court, and too athletic not to run and gun.  And I need more Jeffries. That guy is a stud. If the game was opened up a bit, that guy would shine. I know hes young, but hes got some real skills.  

Glad the losing streak is broken. Hopefully they will start to recover the earlier glory.

Bontrager mentioned that Obi was having to work too hard to get off shots.  Lots of pounding the ball and one-on-one to get up a contested shot.  He thought they needed to run more set plays and run him off screens to get more open looks. (of course the other team is doing everything possible to keep that from happening)

Another factor was that he had not practiced in over a week, so Bontrager thought it looked like he had "heavy legs."  That probably also contributed to his low shooting percentage.

I'd still rather have Obi putting up more shots than anyone else.

I said last year, and it's still mostly true this year, that the ball stops when Owens gets it in the post.  That's fine when he is knocking down shots, but hurts when he is missing.  He rarely will kick out and re-post.....he gets the ball and he's going up with it, whether it is a good look or not.

Good observation. As much as I love Albert and his game, if he gets a touch in the post, a shot is going up!

Would like to see him develop better court vision and take a quick look to the perimeter for an open shooter. If the defense collapses on him, the inside-out game could really pay dividends.

On 1/12/2016 at 10:09 AM, ORUTerry said:

Great quote... and those (defense & rebounding) are two things are directly connected to effort, hustle and desire - not necessarily talent/athleticism.

Make rebounding great again :lol:

6 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

a bit suprising....i wonder if they will open up the entire Mabee Center or just Johnson Theater.......maybe they can make a few bucks off concessions

to ORU's credit, at least they don't hand over their chapel services to politicians (ala Liberty U.)

TheEagleman remembers very well hearing Jimmy Carter speak at Mabee Center during his run for president early in 1976....to this day I remain underwhelmed.....:mellow:

haha...i think the entire country ended up being underwhelmed with Carter.

i guess OR was a big supporter of Carter.  he relates in his autobiography that Carter had him come stay the night in the governor's mansion in the lead up to his deciding to run.  if i remember right, they met to talk and pray and OR even claimed to lead one of his children to Christ during that visit.

That autobiography was ghost written by my former Youngblood wing mate Dr. Lynwood Wells.....not sure how much of it I would believe.....:P