NDSU at ORU

Texasgrip

Looking forward to attending my first (and likely only) ORUMBB game this season tonight at the Magnificent Mabee Center! Hoping Obi is a go and we get this thing turned around tonight! :clap:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Old Titan

• ORUalum

• titansforever

Expect a Miracle....if Obi plays....ORU will win.....if Obi sits...ORU will will lose and several hundred drunken NDSU fans may try to storm to the court......:o

It looked like a lot of students at the game tonight but it's the families of halftime entertainment.

Looks like they've been working hard on defense this week. Still not great, but rotation is much better. They've hit some tough shots. 

great job by whoever made the decision to put Hax on the TV broadcast and place the fill-in on radio. :clap::clap::clap:

Hax and Bontrager --- great broadcasters and great knowledge of ORU hoops.

no Bob Carpenter -- "Eric" Young -- tonight

Coach Sutton tried to lose that one......when does he learn to get Conley off the floor in must foul situations......unbelievable!!!   everyone in the gym knew he was going to miss the front-end of the one-and-one.

cost him a game last year and should have cost him tonight.

very LUCKY win for the good guys......0 FGs in the final 8:45 of the game.

on a good note....the defense was better tonight.   giving up too many offensive rebounds remains a major issue with this club.

TheEagleman thought the same thing, Alum....we tried our best to give that one away in the final 10 seconds....and why are we throwing the ball in near the sideline with 3.5 to play???...just toss in down the court....the clock will run out and NDSU had no time outs....very dumb basketball.....so we score 6 points in the final 9 minute and still win?...if you told me Obi would only get 13 and we win I would have laughed....hard to believe....but we take the victory 66-65....the streak is over!....time to move and get back in the race....ORU was the only home team in the Summit to win tonight...anything can happen...Omaha in first at 4-0 after winning at South Dakota.....B)

Got our money's worth tonight.  I thought officiating was horrible - Summit League Saturday night!  Others agree?

I have seen worse officiating.  However, the officiating was poor because of calls that weren't made such as several over the back non-calls that should have been called against NDSU.  

Nonetheless, at least they went to the monitor and got the out of bounds call right when there was 8 seconds left in the clock.  

Really good observations, particularly about having your bad free shooters off the floor when trying to protect a lead late.  A couple of other points:

• Loved the "fouling-up-3-with-seconds-to-go" strategy.  Prevented NDSU from tying the game with a trey, though the foul came so late on the baseline lay-up drive that a continuation call would have given them an "and-1" free throw to send the game into overtime.  Gotta run that guy over from 30 feet out!  I saw Owasso High School choose NOT to foul while up three with seven seconds to go the other night in Skiatook, and the kid took the ball the length of the floor to hit a 20-footer at the buzzer to send the game to overtime.  I think you should always foul in the at situation, bu there are opposing philosophies.  The key is you HAVE to inbound the ball after the opponent makes the two free throws to cut it to one!  If NDSU had hit that last shot after ORU turned it over on the inbounds play, I wonder if Scott would have shelved the "fouling-up-3-with-seconds-to-go" from now on, and just let opponents shoot threes instead.

• Dexter Werner is a freak.  Never seen a guy with his physique be that explosive on rebounds.  Springs for legs!  Could not understand why NDSU had him out of the game a couple of times late for situational reasons.  Dude's their best player!

• Obviously the defense was much better this game, though the rebounding is never going to get fixed with this roster's limitations.  But, I liked the drawn charges and the blocked shots - gotta protect that rim!

• This was the last team in the league against which I would have imagined ORU having so much success inside on offense.  Really solid games from Albert and Brandon, but AJ has GOT to start rebounding!  He had just two more than a dead man!

• Kris Martin looks so much better without the "fohawk" it's not even funny.  Went overnight from looking like a clown to a race horse.

• How about that student turnout!  Fantastic to see so many on such a cold night to make the walk.  Don't know what's changed to get them there, but I like it!!

• The young black referee was in so far over his head at this level, it was sad.  He made only three calls that I can recall, all right in front of me in Section D, and all three were WRONG!  Called a foul early on Obi that wasn't a foul, called Jalen for standing on the sideline stripe to take a pass, when in fact he had stepped back in bounds before the ball touched his hands, and then the rebound of Brandon's missed 1-and-1 late that went off not one but TWO Bison players, which he called out of bounds on ORU.  At least he admitted immediately he might have been wrong, and went to the monitor to correct the call (and then ORU threw the ball away - too many turnovers late!).

• Weird so far how the three regular season favorites (the XDSU's and ORU) are all no higher than third in the standings.  This thing could get really bunched up by the end of the year, and some really competitive teams are going to be playing in the first round in Sioux Falls, instead of getting the bye.  Gonna be interesting!

Great points, OT. I wish we could see more of Javan White. While he may not be as polished as Brandon and Albert, he is a great rebounder. NDSU pulled down several offensive boards at key moments at the end of the game. The trade off might be worth it to be able to secure more rebounds.

I agree that Javan needs more playing time.  Play Brandon and Albert at the same time.  Then bring in Javan if one of the big guys gets in foul trouble.  Also perhaps more Kris Martin and less Aaron Anderson.  Glad to see Darian Harris getting a little playing time.