Barry Hinson

Old Titan

Don't look now, but Voice's favorite former ORU head coach has his Southern Illinois Salukis at 11-2 for the year following a very nice win at Saint Louis on Monday night.

As luck would have it, though, one of Barry's losses was a stunning upset at home to D-1 upstart and would-be-rival SIU-Edwardsviille, the first time that has ever happened.  Can't imagine that sat too well with the Saluki fans.

Still, Barry may have saved his job for now IF he can have any kind of success in The Valley this year, and IF the new AD at SIU believes he is the long-term solution.

Personally, I'm happy for him - I hope he continues to win this season, and keeps his job.

wish ORU could afford a schedule like that when Coach Sutton has one of his better teams.....i.e. next yr if Obi is granted a 6th season.

Hinson may have saved his job with that powder puff scheduling.

Just now, ORUalum said:

wish ORU could afford a schedule like that when Coach Sutton has one of his better teams.....i.e. next yr if Obi is granted a 6th season.

I've been under the impression for a couple of years that Obi had no grounds upon which to petition for a 6th season - did I miss something?

i think i heard Sean Sutton say something to the effect on the coaches show w/Hax a few weeks ago that they were hoping for a 6th year.  someone can correct me if i heard it wrong on TuneIn.......was kind of half listening.

my opinion: the NCAA seems to be moving more in favor of the student athlete and ensuring they get 4 seasons.....it would be worth a petition even if not currently permissible due to his transfer. 

Yeah....love the donkey schedule for SIU....MY WIFE could win against a schedule like that.....:rolleyes:

I heard Scott Sutton mention that they would pursue a 6th year for Obi, and I believe it was during a pre game or post game show.

• 2 months later...

not a fan, but credit to the little fella for saving his job and winning Valley COY...

I like Barry, glad he's doing well!  I have relatives in Carbondale that say fans really like him up there.  He's got to love that after all he's dealt with elsewhere.  Glad to see he's COY.