ORU at New Mexico St.

theeagleman5

Well....the past 3 games have been beat downs.....it's been a tough 8 days....ORU really needs a win before we start the Summit League schedule to get the confidence back....so the Golden Eagles head to Las Cruzes to play New Mexico State....the Aggies (6-5) had been struggling also losing 3 in a row until the went on the road and whipped a decent UTEP team by 20 on Saturday night....they have some big guys including a 6-9 PF from Cameroon who leads them with 23 per game....the Aggies also have a couple of 6-10 guys who could do some damage inside against the Golden Eagles...let's face it....our Defense has been atrocious on the road this year....just non existent....we were never even in the games at Missouri State and LSU....we have to hold the fort in the first half here and show some heart which we haven't really seen in 2 weeks since the TU win....TheEagleman isn't very confident about this one....I expect NM State to be favored probably by at least 7 or 8 points.....the Aggies are the play....ORU plays the Grinch again and falls to 8-6 with an 85-76 loss.....:angry:

New Mexico State is a 6 point favorite this morning.....gonna have to give this one some thought but the way ORU has played defense the past couple of games...it's hard to lay off of the Aggies....but TheEagleman is really hoping for an early Christmas present from the Golden Eagles and a solid effort tonight.....B)

I'm always inclined to go with trends until something happens otherwise.

Siakem is a beast for the Aggies, a cross between Caleb Green and Kevin Ford.  Could have a field day in the paint, unless ORU has literally figured out something overnight in playing post defense.

84-71, NMSU.  And that's being charitable...

Good point....you talked me into it....TheEagleman is going with the Aggies tonight.....can't see what possibly could have changed in 48 hours......I am 5-1 so far this season when playing ORU...my only loss is the Detroit game....but.this ORU team is in need of a 9 day break....let's hope they come back ready to kick some but at IPFW.....:blink:

ORU is hanging close at 29-27 NMSU.

We aren't  getting a lot of calls right now.  We need to drive to the basket to draw some fouls.

34-33 NMSU at half.  Obi is a little off and he has been fouled several times when no foul call has been made.

Conley has 2 missed point blank lay ups.

Kris Martin has looked pretty good offensively.  

We need to come together offensively in the 2nd half because this is definitely a winnable game.

We will need to double team Siakam in the 2nd half as he already has 21 points.

Tough first half. The calls seem one-sided but that's just me. As Jason said we got to double team Siakam. Also I would like to introduce myself to the forum. I'm a current ORU ball boy, so when I am doing the games I get a lot of the news early. I hope I can stay here as long as possible.

Officials are very one sided.  NMSU is over the back repeatedly with no calls.  Also holding their whistles while we are in offense.

The offense does not need to run through Albert Owens right now. Plain and simple he is too inconsistent with his shot.  Our low post scoring really needs some work.

I do like the never give up attitude of this team however.

6 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Officials are very one sided.  NMSU is over the back repeatedly with no calls.  Also holding their whistles while we are in offense.

The offense does not need to run through Albert Owens right now. Plain and simple he is too inconsistent with his shot.  Our low post scoring really needs some work.

I do like the never give up attitude of this team however.

agreed, the calls make me wanna barf. We need to improve, and I saw that in the first half, but a run by NMSU and the calls are to much.

ORU had three quick turnovers out of the halftime locker room that they never recovered from.

other than Conley, it seemed everyone else was disinterested in the 2nd half and ready to get home and start the holidays.

• Upvote 1

A 4th straight beat down 76-61....ouch.....we are just playing awful....that big PF Siakam torched ORU for 35 and 11 tonight...wish Obi would show up in the first half some night....he was 2-8 in the early going...wound up with 18 but mostly meaningless points....let's hope that this team finds some heart and shooting skills over the 9 day break before we start Summit play on the 30th at IPFW....otherwise it could be a long winter....Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!.....:ph34r:

Couple of observations:

First road game in a while where the refs appeared to be homers. Genuinely chummy with NMSU coach during dead balls and such. 

Unrealistic for ORU staff to think that better effort or technique or whatever is going to result in more rebounds against taller teams. ORU's roster is too short. Period. Been harping about it for several seasons now. It looks to be taller next year, which will be a welcome sight. But the question is, can they play?

Remember not so long ago when ORU had bodies like Siakam's on the roster?  Feels like a long time ago, though. 

Mentined it in the preseason, and it's been on display the last 4 games:  Bradley really struggles staying with his man on defense.  But, his back-up Aaron Young has his own defensive issues.  Pick your poison - and hope they score enough to make it a wash.  

Seen a side of Obi I haven't much cared for these last 4 games; hoping its temporary:  forcing the action when he has the ball, especially late in the blowouts, going one-on-everybody, trying to score.  "Chasing after points" is what I think Coach Sutton calls it when a player does that. Saw Robert Jarvis do it his senior year; got worse as the season went on.  Hope it's not just about the nationally-ranked scoring average; hope it ends soon.  He's better than that...

• Upvote 1

Gotta say...that's an excellent synopsis up there by Old Titan....he captured the heart of the problem....hopefully, our lack of size doesn't hurt us as much in the Summit League but usually those Dakota teams have some big bodies....it all starts a week from Wednesday up at IPFW.....not gonna be a lot of gimme games this season in our league....the Good Guys will have to be prepared to play every night.....:unsure:

During the game Hax mentioned that AA had strep-throat as of 2 days ago.  He said Anderson got meds after the LSU game.  If so, that could explain a lot about AA's play both last night and at LSU.