ORU vs. New Mexico

ORUTerry

ORU takes on New Mexico Tuesday evening at the Pit - which can be a pretty intimidating venue. The Lobos are 4 and 1 with wins against Texas Southern, New Mexico State, Loyola Chicago and Nicholls State - and a loss against USC. They are averaging 80.2 points per game while shooting 47.7% from the field. They shoot 32.7% from the three point line and average 6.6 made 3's per game. Their FT% is 75.7 and they average 15.4 assists per game.

New Mexico is an early 9.5 point favorite on the Vegas line.....TheEagleman will probably lay off this game....a tough one to call on the road...I think ORU can hang around with these guys if Owens and Conley can stay out of foul trouble....anybody know the status of Aaron Anderson?.....we are gonna need him tomorrow night.....:mellow:

The Line on ORU at New Mexico is up to 10 this morning....this game is a tough one to call....TheEagleman thinks that if ORU shoots the way we did at home on Saturday vs. Detroit then we have a shot...of course, the converse is that we can't play defense like Saturday either....which is to say we played no defense....Coach Sutton has assured TheEagleman that defense has been a top priority at practice over the past couple of days....and we need Anderson in the starting line up tonight.....as stated above, we cannot afford foul problems for our bigs.....so it's probably too much to ask for this "perfect storm" of things to happen on the road in New Mexico tonight....their arena isn't called The Pit for nothing.....the Lobos always have a really good squad but at 4-1.....but they have not played any Top 25 teams and lost to a mediocre Southern Cal squad last week.....so the jury is still out....can ORU pull the upset?....yes, I think we can.....will we?....probably not.....but I am hopeful that this will be a very competitive game down to the final moments.....too much home cooking for the Lobos and ORU comes up a little short in Albuquerque tonight, 81-74......:wacko:

The top seven players for New Mexico are:

Brown (6’4” – So):  31.0 mpg, 17.8 ppg, 41.5 fg%, 27.8 3-pt%, 92.6 ft%, 5.6 rpg, 3.2 apg

Williams (6’8” – Jr): 28.8 mpg, 16.4 ppg, 61.0 fg%, 76.9 ft%, 8.6 rpg

Neal (6’5” – So):  30.6 mpg, 14.6 ppg, 35.1 fg%, 34.4 3-pt%, 71.4 ft%, 3.0 rpg, 3.8 apg

Aget (7’1” – Jr): 24.4 mpg, 8.0 ppg, 73.9 fg%, 75.0 ft%, 7.8 rpg

Logwood (6’7” – So): 20.2 mpg, 6.8 ppg, 52.0 fg%, 55.6% 3-pt%, 42.9 ft%, 2.8 rpg

Adams (6’4” – So): 12.6 mpg, 5.0 ppg, 42.9 fg%, 28.6 3-pt%, 83.3 ft%, 2.8 rpg

Furstinger (6’9” – So): 15.2 mpg, 3.4 ppg, 75.0 fg%, 62.5 ft%, 1.6 rpg

They are relatively young (5 sophomores and 2 juniors) and have a lot of size. Past Lobos teams have played tough defense so I would not expect open looks. New Mexico shoots the ball well (47.7%) from the field - but are not great 3-point shooters (32.7%). Their length will cause trouble on the perimeter and enable them to get second chance baskets. We need to have a lot of things go well (shoot a high percentage, grab rebounds and limit easy baskets) in order to be in a position for a win. Let's hope Anderson is back in the lineup and that Owens & Conley don't get in foul trouble.

Man, that's a tall line-up.  The shortest guy on that list (6'4") is taller than half of ORU's roster (and please don't try to tell me ORU's Kris Martin is truly 6'5" as listed - that must be counting the fauxhawk).

Hard for ORU to match-up with a team like this - gonna take a supreme effort shooting the ball to stay in this one for any length of time.

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Man, that's a tall line-up.  The shortest guy on that list (6'4") is taller than half of ORU's roster (and please don't try to tell me ORU's Kris Martin is truly 6'5" as listed - that must be counting the fauxhawk).

Hard for ORU to match-up with a team like this - gonna take a supreme effort shooting the ball to stay in this one for any length of time.

Chick Hearn from Fletch: "He's 6-5, with the afro 6-9,....."

tonight's prediction: with all that height, i'm setting the o/u of Conley foul out at 15 min playing time.......i've got the under

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

Chick Hearn from Fletch: "He's 6-5, with the afro 6-9,....."

tonight's prediction: with all that height, i'm setting the o/u of Conley foul out at 15 min playing time.......i've got the under

Alright, I'll take that bet.  I think he might go 20 minutes, maybe even 25.

But, he will DEFINITELY foul out...and Albert might, too.

TheEagleman is thinking I should have taken New Mexico and laid the 10 points.....:(

Gonna be a looooooooooong night....down 21 already.....43-22 still in the first half....where's the D?????....:huh:

just like South Carolina, ORU can't compete w/ long, athletic teams.  it also does not hurt that the Lobos are on fire from the field.

the goal now is to try and keep them from hitting 100.

Im just gonna say it. #14 does not need to come back in the game until he dramatically improves his game. Too much of a liability on the floor.

Yeah...ORU on a roll and the Lobos have gone cold....just 71-61 with 7 minutes left.....the Golden Eagles have heart......:)

well that was a fun few minutes.....good fight in the second half from ORU.  

whale of a night from Conley.    

Neal, Williams, and Brown were just too much tonight.