Crawford quits team; will transfer

ORUalum

Coach Sutton in the post game with Geoff...

• surprised by the timing (only 5 games into the season)
  • Crawford not happy with his minutes/role on the team
  • every freshman has a moment their first year where they consider transfering
  • thought Chris would be a good fit for the program -- great person and student; was familiar with the program playing across the street at Victory
  • everyone wishes Chris well wherever he ends up

me:  this is why i said i thought they should red-shirt him before the season started.  the kid has never been 3rd string anything in his life.  obviously sitting behind Anderson and Young was eating him up.  it probably did not help seeing Jeffries and Martin playing more.

Looks like a selfish and immature decision that he will unfortunately live to regret.  The grass is not usually greener.  He didn't get a chance to prove himself enough for other teams to be interested.

Don't know the particulars but looking at this as someone from the outside I would seriously question the move.  Five games into your freshman year and you are leaving???  If I am a HC of a D-I program I would have deep concerns about offering him a scholarship realizing he was seeing the floor as a true freshman at his last program and left 5 games in.  Of course there are a plenty of desperate coaches/programs out there.   One question comes to mind, will he lose a year of eligibility?

Certainly he would have to sit out 2nd semester this season and 1st semester next season.  So he won't play again until 2017.  Why wouldn't he at least play through December before making his decision?  I wonder which other schools were recruiting him last year.  Perhaps he has a connection at one of those schools who will take him on.  His style of play would probably fit well in the Southland.

Due to our depth at guard and the fact that he was still adjusting to the level of play in D-1 basketball, I don't think he will be missed this year.  However, I believe over time he would have become a significant contributor, so this is disappointing.  If he was beginning to have a poor attitude though, then it is probably best for him to be off the team because our team chemistry seems to be pretty strong right now and I wouldn't want to mess that up.

This also opens up the opportunity for us to take on a big-man transfer at semester if a good candidate becomes available.

Pathetic....a very sad decision...but let's have some Turkey anyway....we are 5-1....:o

Curious timing. Looks like he and his family decided Chris will not be able to compete with the players (Martin, Young, Anderson, Bradley) ahead of him. I agree with that assessment from what little I saw of Crawford's game. He's not tall and needs to gain bulk. Talented, but needs time to mature. Should have red shirted. 

Go to Ben Johnson's Twitter feed to view his comments - he evidently spoke with Chris about his decision  

dX8sRJZY_normal.jpeg Ben Johnson (@BenJohnsonTUL)
Just talked to Chris Crawford, who is transferring from the ORU program. Couple tidbits from what he had to say....
#orumbb

...not sure this article helps his cause.  he comes off as short-sided, unrealistic, and selfish.  it sounds like he was not interested in competing for minutes and expected to start from day one.  good luck finding a coach that will guarantee minutes....perhaps he should just declare for the NBA draft.

Chris Crawford leaves ORU basketball team

After averaging 21.6 points per game during his senior year at Victory Christian, Crawford was averaging 1.6 points with the Golden Eagles. He also was playing 8 minutes per game, and that's where his unrest began to manifest.

"I just wasn't happy with my minutes," said Crawford, who was part of a guard rotation off the bench that included Aaron Young, Martin and Darian Harris. "I wasn't happy with what was going to happen, so we decided it was best to part ways."

Crawford said he started to question his future with the Golden Eagles after a weeklong road trip through South Carolina and Virginia when ORU went 3-1 in four games.

"It was really this week," Crawford said. "I was thinking about if I should stick it out. Ultimately, (my family and I) decided it wasn't the right fit for me."

Geez, Chris....2 weeks into your college career and you can't deal with a little competition from Anderson and Young?...yeah, it's best that you part ways with ORU....maybe you should give Notre Dame a call....they lost to Monmouth College today and can probably use a kid with your immense talent....<_<

Did he completely leave the University or just the team?  If he dropped out of the University I believe he was beyond the time to withdraw without consequences meaning his records could show a 0.000 GPA for this semester.  I may be wrong but I thought I had read somewhere that he was a Biology/Pre-Med major.  If in fact he quit the University he is going to have a rough time digging out of that GPA hole to get up to a GPA which would get him into med school.  Of course I could be wrong on his major but if in fact he quit the University without completing the Semester he will have serious GPA issues in the future. 

With only a week of classes left before finals, I highly doubt that he has left school. 

This move is very curious. From all appearances Chris was plugged into ORU and fit its environment. He was averaging 8 minutes per game as a freshman - although the coaches may have told him those would be declining. With hard work he could have progressed - and you never know who might get injured, etc. and open a way for more playing time. 

I have to believe friends and/or family convinced him he was not getting a 'fair deal'. I think he is a talented young man, but needs some seasoning before reaching his full potential. I wish he would stay at ORU and realize his dreams as a Golden Eagle. 

• Upvote 1

With the emergence of Aaron Anderson, Aaron Young has had to deal with less playing time.  Last year he started about half of our games at point guard and this year has been averaging about 8 minutes per game.  However, in the Detroit game, when Aaron Anderson couldn't go, Aaron Young was asked to start and stepped up big time.  Scott Sutton spoke highly of Aaron Young in the Tulsa World article, pointing out the great attitude he has had and how he was ready to contribute when he was called upon.

This was just such a contrast to the approach Chris Crawford has taken, and I commend Aaron Young for his personal leadership and for seizing the opportunity when it became available.

• Upvote 3

Excellent post, Jason....that's what team basketball is all about....and congrats to Coach Sutton for recognizing it....a ton of credit to Aaron Young for helping ORU get a big win vs. Detroit on Saturday....;)

I agree with the sentiments re: Young's attitude, worth ethic and overall skill. We're lucky to have such a great young man on the team.

That being said, Crawford has a high ceiling. I really believe he had the potential to be an all-conference caliber player by his sophomore year. Unfortunately with his "me first" mentality an issue was bound to come up during his 4 years with the program. Pretty unfortunate but I wish him the best. 

• Upvote 1

I'm told CC initiated the discussion about playing time, basically giving Coach Sutton an ultimatum of 20 minutes a game, minimum.

No idea what Scott's exact reaction was, but I would bet it was something along the lines of, "Well, it's been nice knowing you."

This isn't the NBA, and it isn't AAU summer ball.  Coaches still rule college basketball (at least at the mid-major level) and I'm afraid CC will find "switching teams" to be a lot more complicated and humbling than he imagines.  Really misguided move.

Now, the focus becomes:  who can ORU give that extra scholly to in the spring?

• Upvote 1

This is another example of why the NCAA should not go to 4-year guaranteed scholarships.  The coach needs to maintain power and authority over the athletes to deal with situations like this.  Let's say a player in Chris's situation decided he didn't want to transfer but instead would just have a bad attitude about playing time and give as little as possible to the program for the next 4 years while getting a free education.  That could potentially drive some really good coaches out of the profession over time.

Unfortunately, this looks like a slow motion train wreck. Crawford is talented and with some time & maturity, could develop into a nice college player. But he will need to get out of his way. Basketball is a team game and Crawford has to learn that lesson. Let's hope he can. 

I'll bet he wishes he had red shirted given the current situation.  

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Now, the focus becomes:  who can ORU give that extra scholly to in the spring?

Well, we could use a 6'10" post player....

Someone else mentioned this previously on the Board - what are the chances that Obi could be granted a medical red shirt for the year he had the ACL injury (ala Yemi Ogunyoe)? Would he want to play another year?