77 TU- Wichita State 67

EagleManiac

We own TU....remember, they never get up for us....the ORU game means nothing to them...LOL.....I am sure it will be a tough game but TheEagleman will take ORU plus the points unless we totally fall apart over the next couple of weeks...we need to get 2 of 3 in Harrisonburg, VA this weekend....B)

I was there.  Tulsa played really well, and should contend for an at-large NCAA berth out of the AAC this year, but make no mistake:  this was not the Wichita team we saw the past two seasons.  They are woefully weak in the interior, and TU exploited that fact all night, repeatedly driving to the rim and running back-door plays for their big men along the baseline.  TU also stayed COMMITTED the entire game to a match-up zone defense that consistently frustrated the all-star back court of Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet.

Particularly noticeable in the donut that was the Shocker interior was former ORU commit and Edmond standout Shaquille Morris.  He hardly resembled the imposing figure he was last season as a valuable reserve:  he's overweight, slow and completely out-of-synch with the rest of the "hair-on-fire" WSU line-up.

I don't know if he's been injured, or if he just smoked-and-ate his way through the summer, but he was a liability whenever he entered the Wichita line-up.  Frankly, I was stunned.

Sounds like the Shockers are completely overrated at #9 and not even a Top 25 team....we will see how TU does in the next couple of weeks but not really any super tough games prior to playing ORU except for OSU.....but yeah, TU looks like the team to beat in their conference....;)

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

....but yeah, TU looks like the team to beat in their conference....;)

Oh, no:  UConn and SMU are the two best teams on paper in the AAC until someone else proves otherwise, and that "someone else" could be Tulsa, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, or even Houston.

This could be a banner year for the American Conference:  football has been fantastic with Memphis, Houston and Temple in-and-out of the Top 25 all season, and basketball is looking really strong also.

Temple is always tough but won't compete for the title in basketball....yeah, UConn and SMU are very good....and Memphis should have beaten OU last night...I shouldn't have discounted any of those....TheEagleman will likely be at Temple-Memphis football this Saturday in Philly and definitely at Temple-UConn the following week....The Owls need to recover from that brutal loss to So. Florida last weekend but can still clinch their division in the AAC with one win in the next 2 games.....:D

Tulsa plays Ohio on Friday in the Paradise Jam.  Saul Phillips is completely overhauling the Bobcats so they are rebuilding.  It is the start of his second year at Ohio.  They are 2-0 but only beat Florida Gulf Coast and Tennessee State.

TU has NINE seniors! Can't remember a D-1 team that overloaded in one class.

Tulsa narrowly escapes with a win over Ohio, 90-88.  About half way through the second half Ohio was up by 19.  With a little over 4 minutes left in the game it was 81-69 Ohio.

Wow!...Congrats to TU.....that's an amazing comeback.....our old buddy Korey Billbury plays in MSG tonight as VCU takes on Duke....:o

Apparently Saul Phillips in his post game press conference made a comment when asked about Tulsa along the lines of: "They have 9 seniors, we have one.  When those guys are selling car insurance, we'll be winning championships."  From the reaction on social media Tulsa fans do not seem to care for the comment.

3 hours ago, ORU82 said:

Apparently Saul Phillips in his post game press conference made a comment when asked about Tulsa along the lines of: "They have 9 seniors, we have one.  When those guys are selling car insurance, we'll be winning championships."  From the reaction on social media Tulsa fans do not seem to care for the comment.

That's pretty classless, even for Saul. And, pointless.

i don't remember him making any apologies for having FIVE senior starters when he won his first Summit League title.

Maybe he's just mad because he was counting on cutting down the nets after this victory (if you've been on here a few years, you'll get that reference).

• Upvote 1

Saul certainly didn't do himself any favors with his "clarification" this morning..

“To clarify, I was just trying to underscore that their guys are seniors and ours are underclassmen, and I also stated that they are clearly an at-large team if they don’t win their conference. I certainly didn’t mean to imply that their guys won’t have pro careers, but I was just merely trying to underscore that they have a senior-laden team, which I have all the respect in the world for.”

It's always better to apologize for getting "caught up in the heat of the moment after blowing a huge lead" than to try to justify a statement that there is really no justification for. 

Classless times two...