ORU at South Carolina

ORUalum

it's been awhile since ORU claimed power 5 scalp.     how will the new guys react to their first road game?

line has bounced around from 12 to 15......currently SC -14

with SC maybe looking ahead to their trip to the Virgin Islands, i think i'd take ORU and the points.

That line sounds about right, but it's early in the season, so who knows?  Gonna take a superlative effort from Obi to steal this one, but he's certainly capable.

Hey, if Western Illinois can win at Wisconsin, ANYTHING can happen!

The game is on the SEC network tonight.  Cox 1345.  The info says

"Oral Roberts at South Carolina. High scoring guard Obi Emegano leads the Golden Eagles of BYU when they visit Sindarius Thornwell and the Gamecocks".  

1 minute ago, MrsSmith said:

The game is on the SEC network tonight.  Cox 1345.  The info says

"Oral Roberts at South Carolina. High scoring guard Obi Emegano leads the Golden Eagles of BYU when they visit Sindarius Thornwell and the Gamecocks".  

At least they didn't refer to this USC as the Trojans...

I wouldn't mind seeing Frank Martin's face turn a few different shades of USC garnet red tonight.

I heard Friday evening that he will be out for approximately two weeks or so. Not as bad as first thought. 

Obi came to play....the rest in foul trouble or overmatched....Conley has fouled out already.....Owens with four which killed us.....63-48 with 9 min left....they have worn us down....Obi has 26....:blink:

TheEagleman kind of liked that +14 points also but layed off because I am just not sure about this team yet....can't play them until I watch a few games....tonight we had a shot until we got in foul trouble....<_<

i thought ORU would compete a little better....no answer for the big Lithuanian.

ORU is just too small to play with the power 5 schools.

• Upvote 1

You got that right....84-66 final and we got outrebounded by 15 tonight and outscored 25-6 on 2nd chance points....Obi and Owens both went down in the final minutes with injuries...hope both are not serious....we lose Owens and/or Obi and we are toast....:o

That's great news....TheEagleman didn't watch the final 3-4 minutes closely...switched over to Sixers-Mavs....was hoping to see our first win of the year....but, alas......0-11.....:blink:

The referees called the game closely.  They did not "let the boys play."  In previous years that type of game would benefit ORU due to our high FT shooting %.  However, with Javan out and Chris Miller not available until next year, Frank Martin adjusted and ran the offense through his 2 big men and forced ORU into major foul trouble.  Conley fouled out and Owens had to defend carefully in order to avoid fouling out.

The zone defense worked for quite awhile but ultimately we could not stop their big men from scoring in the 2nd half.  We are at a height disadvantage in a game like that and so you do expect to be "out-rebounded."   However, even with our lack of height, we will need to improve our "blocking out" because at times the put-backs were way too easy for SC.

They guarded Jalen Bradley very closely and made it difficult for him to get off a 3-point shot.  If that continues, Jalen will have to use his quickness and drive to the basket.  Otherwise, he will not get as many 3-point opportunities.  They could also afford to guard him so closely because they had a tall shot blocker down low at all times, so if Jalen drove to the basket he might get rejected.

Obi played a great game tying a career high with 31 points.  It is a shame that the rest of the team could not rise to his level (easier said than done).  If Javan White had been healthy, that could have made a significant difference both defensively and offensively against a tall team like SC.

I hope the coaches can use what they learned in this game to prepare us for the upcoming tournament.

Despite the final score this team seem to play a lot better than ORU teams have in recent years. I think we could compete in the Summit once we get rolling

I'm with you, Dr. C.  This team has shown me a lot in the first two games, and raised my expectations for the season.  It will be interesting to see how we compete in the four-team round-robin at JMU this weekend.  We should be favored in both of the neutral games - and have a decent chance to knock off the home team.  Would love to be 5-2 at the end of November, because the December schedule is brutal.

Honestly, TheEagleman was also very impressed with how we looked in the first 2 games....we were up over SC by 7 until we got into foul trouble....If Owens and Conley had been able to stay on the floor this would have been a much closer game...but when those guys went out we got killed on the boards...plus, we are missing White inside also....I thought ORU took good care of the ball in the first half and competed well....I didn't expect a win at SC so 1-1 is a decent start....ORU needs to get 2 of 3 this weekend at James Madison....not expecting to beat the home team but wins over UT-Martin and FIU are doable.....we need to come back to Mabee Center next week at 3-2....:)