Missouri State at ORU

theeagleman5

ORU does finish strong with an 80-65 win over Missouri State...a really big effort in the opener and balanced scoring...Bradley with 16....Emegano 15...Owens 14 and Jeffries 9....plus only 9 turnovers tonight......very un-ORU like.....TheEagleman is encouraged....the competition gets tougher on Monday at South Carolina....live on the SEC Network....:D

Really really solid win tonight - and great chemistry displayed on and off the court by "Obi and his band of brothers".  And this was without Javan White!

Really nice opening night for the Summit overall.  Not sure how IPFW finished at Valpo.  They were playing Valpo tough but were down late.  

WIU winning at Madison is a stunner against the 17th ranked Badgers....and IUPUI beating Indiana St on the road is surprise....NDSU also won on the road at UC Davis but IPFW lost at Valpo,  Denver was defeated at Milwaukee SD lost at Wright St. and Omaha lost by 1 at UCSB...:blink:

I said it after the Blue-White game, and I'll say it again:  Bradley, Young and Jeffries bring a level of energy and toughness that has been sorely lacking in recent ORU rosters.

This ORU team is going to be seriously over-matched physically at times this season, especially with White being hurt and Conley fouling way too much again, but I bet they'll battle to the bitter end each time.  They punched Missouri State in the mouth a LOT tonight, and it paid off big-time.  Similar to the intensity level in wins over TU in the last two season openers.  Wasn't always pretty, but it was winning basketball.

Major props to the Athletic Dept. personnel responsible for getting several hundred students out for the game tonight.  I haven't seen that kind of student turnout for a non-TU season opener in I don't know how long - 10 years?  15 years?  Longer?  It was GREAT!

• Upvote 1

That game was a lot of fun to watch. Clearly this bunch has great chemistry and they showed it last night. They had positive body language and seemed to be cheering one another on every chance they got. I think we all need to hope that Conley can start putting together some better performances. It seemed like he had several chances at the bucket that didn't connect. He has to be able to finish at the rim but I'll chalk this one up to him knocking off some rust.

Beyond Bradley, Young and Jeffries I liked what I saw from Aaron Anderson. He had 8 points on 2-3 shooting, which included a shot beyond the arc. ORU may have the ability to post him up against smaller guards. He naturally went to that move a couple of times last night. Kris Martin was also impressive. 

I can't help but believe that there's more to Darian Harris' game. The kid exudes basketball when he's on the floor. I wonder what would happen if they started running off ball screens, in the vein of what we run for Obi, what might happen. Speaking of Obi ... nice game from him too. He seems like the perfect kind of leader for this young team. While this season might be an uphill battle, I really hope we see a consistent attitude and energy throughout. 

Other notes: 

• There was a fun and interesting eagle sound effect that came over the WatchESPN feed last night. It was kind of cool and I hope they keep it up. 
  • Korey Billbury had a nice showing for VCU last night. He had 7 points, 7 rebounds and 2 assists in a win over Prairie View A&M. Best of luck to him and the Rams. 
  • I'm assuming that Jorden Kaufman will make his debut for Youngstown State tonight. Good luck to him as well. 

• Upvote 1

Quote from the Missouri State TV commentators (paraphrased):  "There must be about 5,000 people here - but with all of the activities and the noise, it feels like 100,000".

Love it....

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman loves the ORU win....a very entertaining game to watch and lots of energy from the home team and the crowd....but I was surprised to see the official attendance listed at only 3243...ouch!....:o

I couldn't be at the game but watched most of it online through watchespn's archive.

This appears to be a good 3-point shooting team as several players contributed from behind the arc.  Jalen Bradley was again impressive and I am so excited by how well Albert Owens played both offensively and defensively.  If he keeps playing like that, we will be a serious Summit League contender!

We wore Blue because of an issue with Missouri State's road uni's, at the last minute.

Students showed up and were great. Hope we/they can keep that up?!?

Not enough praise for Albert Owens. He played a very good game!!

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

We wore Blue because of an issue with Missouri State's road uni's, at the last minute.

Students showed up and were great. Hope we/they can keep that up?!?

Not enough praise for Albert Owens. He played a very good game!!

I enjoyed Albert's effort on post defense, and the fact he actually TALKED occasionally on screens and switches.  The hallmark of better defensive teams is COMMUNICATION, especially in half-court situations.  It's one of the areas where the ladies are light years ahead of the men:  good defensive teams in women's basketball are CONSTANTLY talking on defense.  Haven't seen that much in the men's game in recent years:  guys are apparently just too cool these days to talk on defense...

On 11/14/2015, 8:26:20, WingMaaaan said:
  • I'm assuming that Jorden Kaufman will make his debut for Youngstown State tonight. Good luck to him as well. 

Jorden had 3 points and 4 rebounds in relief as Youngdtown State lost their season opener on the road.  He was 0-fer from the field and 50% from the line, with 3 fouls.

He looks REALLY soft in the team pictures and a YouTube-style video on the YSU website.  Doesn't appear to be any more serious about his basketball than while he was at ORU.

Regarding Darian Harris, unfortunately I think his window for taking a bigger role on this team was more open last year. Kris Martin seems already poised to be that guy. I thought Harris looked the part last year, but he usually just drifted around the perimeter and wasn't very assertive.

And that was on a team that was too small and couldn't score. This team is not quite as undersized, especially if they can move Jeffries around defensively, and so far doesn't seem to have any issues with scoring. So, I don't know how many sets they would run for the 9th or 10th guy off the bench.

It's good to see the newcomers play so savvy already, really takes a lot of the pressure off of Obi and AY. Hopefully won't have to ask them to do quite so much this year.

I didn't think Missouri State looked very good at all. Are they projected to finish very high in the Missouri Valley? That being said, ORU did play well and it will be interesting to see if we can keep shooting the three all season.