Missouri State at ORU

theeagleman5

Anybody know the status of Conley for tomorrow nights' season opener at Mabee Center?....this may have an affect on TheEaglemans' prediction....:unsure:

ORU hosts Missouri State in Season Opener Friday at Mabee Center

By BEN JOHNSON World Correspondent

Coach Scott Sutton, per usual, took questions after a 78-58 exhibition victory over Central Oklahoma on Saturday. Several centered on Albert Owens’ performance (16 points, four rebounds), and a couple addressed the highlights of the Golden Eagles’ two exhibition games.

Then came a simple, yet pointed, inquiry about Friday’s season-opening game against Missouri State.

“Do you think you’re ready?” a reporter asked.

It all boils down to how ORU’s four freshmen and two other newcomers — who figure to log significant minutes — mesh as one unit, Sutton responded.

“Early in the season, there will be some growing pains, especially when you have young players,” Sutton said. “… We’re ready. I think we’ll be fine.”

That begs another question: Will Brandon Conley — who missed both exhibition games with a shoulder injury — be ready?

“We’re hoping he’ll be able to play Friday night,” said Sutton, who saw ORU’s leading scorer, Obi Emegano, suffer the same torn labrum injury but return prior to the two preseason games. “We’re just kind of waiting and seeing. He’ll be a game-time decision.”

Any kind of extended absence by Conley will thrust more responsibility on the shoulders of Owens, a 6-foot-9, 260-pound center.

“He’s a guy we’ll have to have,” Sutton said of Owens. “We need production from him, and we need to be able to pass the ball to him and work around him.”

Beyond Owens, front-line help would have to come from freshmen DaQuan Jeffries of Edmond Santa Fe; Javan White of Ames, Iowa, or junior-college transfer Tre Vance.

“Hopefully they’ll be more comfortable and more confident, and hopefully they’ll play like they’re capable of playing,” Sutton said of a handful of players who will make their Division I debuts. “That’s why we play those exhibition games, but they’re freshmen, so you never really know.”

What Sutton can count on is facing a Missouri State team that returns much of the same cast that split in two regular-season clashes with the Golden Eagles last year. ORU won 80-61 at the Mabee Center before dropping a 52-45 game in Springfield, Missouri, a week later.

“They’re a little bit like us,” Sutton said of Missouri State, which defeated William Jewell 88-62 in its only exhibition tune-up. “They have a good group of guys returning. But on paper, they’re going to rely on a few newcomers to really come in and contribute right away. Maybe they don’t have someone that was a big part of their team like Obi was last year for us, but they have a lot of guys back with some experience.”

MEN’S COLLEGE BASKETBALL

Missouri State at Oral Roberts

Mabee Center

7 p.m. Friday

Radio: KYAL am1550

Missouri State

Ht.Pt.Rb.
G Miller5-1010.05.0*
G Williams6-32.02.0
F Dixon6-29.05.0
F Boone6-619.07.0
F Church6-77.05.0

Oral Roberts

Ht.Pt.Rb.
G Young5-112.02.0*
G Anderson6-38.53.0
G Emegano6-317.02.0*
F Jeffries6-58.07.0
F Owens6-911.55.0

*Assists per game

Edited by Old Titan

looking at ORU's twitter feeds, it appears there is a push to get a good student turnout to the game (pre-game tailgate, etc.).   hopefully the student body will get off their tails and get down to the Mabee Center.

kudos to whoever came up with the public shaming of students that wear other school's gear on campus.  it looks like they are trying to instill some school pride in ORU student body.  i hope they will get support from the administration.  it's time turn around the dwindling turnout of students to the basketball games.

Edited by ORUalum
  • Upvote 2

TheEagleman just emailed some words of encouragement to Coach Sutton....I have to assume that Conley might not be in the lineup tonight...at least not a ton of minutes which will hurt us underneath...and MSU has a couple of widebodies up front at 6-6 and 6-7 both about 235-240.....the Bears also have a few newcomers so tonights' game is hard to call...they defeated Wm. Jewell handily in their only pre season contest last weekend...this series always goes back and forth and is currently dead even at 6-6 and ORU is a 4.5 pt favorite on the Vegas Line.....but ORU usually plays these guys tough at Mabee Center and this IS our home opener so hopefully there will be a nice loud crowd of Mabee Maniacs in attendance...is 4500-5000 too much to ask for???....Obi seems to be recovered from his injury and our PG play is solidified with Young and Anderson....Bradley, Jeffries and Owens should add some offense....this is a game that the Good Guys need to win because the next four are on the east coast next week....we don't want to come back to Mabee Center at 0-5.....TheEagleman feels that we need to get off to a fast start and can get the job done tonight...Obi leads the way with 20+ and ORU comes away with a 76-71 win to start off 1-0 for the 3rd season in a row.....Go Blue!B)

Edited by theeagleman5
  • Upvote 1

This should be a good test for our young, untested squad. I assume that everything will run through Emegano. The key is for him to take what (if anything) they give him - and not force things too much.

The Bears look to be a bit more seasoned than we are - but will also look for contributions from their newcomers. They have played just one exhibition game - winning 88 to 62 against William Jewell. The Bears shot 53.8% from the field but only 25.0% (3 of 12) from behind the 3 point line. Boone (6'6" Sr) is their best player; he was 8 of 12 from the field and grabbed 7 rebounds in 19 minutes. Martin (6'8" Jr) scored 10 points - going 5 of 6 from the field in 18 minutes.

Javan White is walking around on crutches today. We're going to be small tonight without him or Conley.

Love the public shaming of students!!

Don't love to hear that about Javan. Looks like it's going to be the Albert Owens show! And, I think the big fella will respond!

• Upvote 1

For anyone with DirecTV, tonight's game is scheduled to be broadcast live on Channel 363 (Golden Eagle Broadcasting).  I was planning on using ESPN3 and Chromecast, but this is even better!

Just tuned in to see Martin with a block and then a 3! I don't even know who that is, and the fact that there's a Martin on both teams is confusing me.  I need to study the roster and watch the rest of the game  Nice start at 15-7.

Edited by ORUTex

Not sure. I kinda like it though. 

Team is playing well. Bradley is instant offense. Martin has great range. Owens is better. We are up 16 and Obi only has 4 points. 

ORU rolling at half 39-22....Bradley with 11 and Owens 8....Obi has chipped n 6.....Conley is in the line up but rusty shooting only 1-7......the Bears need to pick it up in the 2nd half or this could get ugly.....:P

Up big in the 2nd half....it will tell me a lot about this team if they step on their throat and win big, or allow Mo St to get back in it.....

I really like the blue at home.... I'd like to see ORU wear the Vegas gold more on the road

ORU up 60-45 with 9 minutes left....yeah, we need to finish this off strong and not let MSU back in this game....B)