Rogers State at ORU

theeagleman5

Always an exciting time for TheEagleman when ORU basketball season gets underway....it's always hard to predict a score on these pre-season games because we don't know who will play and for how long....I recall a few years ago Rogers State almost beating us in one of these games...in fact, we were fortunate to win in the final minute.....hopefully, this one won't be THAT close but Coach Sutton usually doesn't like to run it up and will probably experiment with many different combinations as the squad prepares for Missouri State in 11 days.....let's call it  ORU 81  Rogers State 66.....B)

starting lineup from the TulsaWorld:

G Bradley 6-1 n/a n/a

G Emegano 6-3 18.3 4.7

G Anderson 6-3 n/a n/a

F White 6-8 n/a n/a

F Jeffries 6-5 n/a n/a

Not terribly surprising, based on what I've been hearing.

But, really small line-up. I have to assume Brandon Conley is still not ready to play? Otherwise, I think he starts in place of Jeffries.

Will be interested to see how much we press.

Very interesting lineup. Bradley over Aaron Young? For some reason, I doubt that will last long.

From what I saw in the scrimmage, Bradley is not a 'pass first' point guard. He is definitely a shoot first kind of player. Who is going to set up the offense? Please tell me we have a point guard....

It is interesting that Conley and Owens are not starting. We have a lot of different combinations of players to choose from - and I suspect we will see them tonight.

From what I saw in the scrimmage, Bradley is not a 'pass first' point guard. He is definitely a shoot first kind of player. Who is going to set up the offense? Please tell me we have a point guard....

Glad to see Young start at PG tonight. Bradley can play, but does not distribute at all. The starting lineup looked to work together very well. Will be interesting to see how Brandon Conley fits in when he returns. For me, the optimism about Javan White continues after tonight. Great offensive player with and without the ball, and has a knack for grabbing boards.

Did anyone notice the managers? All 6 or so of them were in blue blazers and very on top of things.

ORU outrebounded 40-29 and we had 15 turnovers....the game was tied with less than 6 minutes to play.....TheEagleman knows it's just pre-season but still some concerns there....I will wait for the on sight commentators before jumping to conclusions...let's just hope it was shaking off the rust in a dress rehearsal.....Looks like Jeffries, Anderson and Bradley can score.....:blink:

We got hammered on the glass, which includes 17 offensive rebounds for Rogers State. I know RSU has some D-I players, but gotta get that turned around.

So when Conley returns, will the lineup be: Young, Emegano, Jefferies, White and Conley...with Bradley being the first one off the bench?

Sounds like Bradley can fill it up, that's for sure (as well as White and Jeffries).

What is Conley's injury and any idea if he will be ready for Missouri State on the 13th?.....:o

Not sure what some of you guy's are looking at when you say Bradley is a "shoot first" guard.

He led the team in assists Monday night (4), and kicked passes to several wide open shooters who simply missed.

He's the closest thing to a genuine point guard that ORU has had in a decade.  But, like almost everyone on the roster, he's undersized for his position. 

I simply can't get over how ORU's roster has become so short in recent years.  Rogers State was the same size across the board!  And, they got SEVENTEEN OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS!

What's going to happen when ORU faces the front lines of the XDSU's?

I find myself wondering:  does this staff just not like height anymore?  Or, can it just not sign it anymore?

as for line-ups, Coach Sutton said on the radio that he likes Bradley and Emegano on the court together......great chemistry with each other.

during the game i think Hax said Young and Anderson would battle it out at PG.   someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i think Anderson was on the court for the final push that put Rogers St away.

red-shirt Crawford? 

Darian Harris had his shooting hand in a cast that ran from the elbow to the fingertips - any word on his prognosis?

That might impact if & who gets red-shirted, but I would venture that Crawford and Martin might be prime candidates for that designation.

I agree with OT on Jalen Bradley. Dude's got game. And, this was his first time on the big stage. I think he's the guy at PG. That said, I really like Aaron Young, too.

Also, it "seems" to me that our best play last night was with Javan and Albert on the floor together. Our version of a "big" line-up. Unless I am mistaken, it was a tie game in the first half, when we went "big". We proceeded to go up by 11 points, then we went "small" again and RSU closed it to 1-point going into halftime.

Too early to make a definitive statement on anything, but it appears to me that our best line-up will be Javan, Brandon or Albert, Obi, DaQuan, & Jalen.

Although, one exhibition game in and all of this may change tomorrow. Lots of new pieces. Many more questions, than answers. And, we really need Brandon and Obi to be fully healthy...and quick!

I was only able to stay for the first half. From what I saw, Bradley is more of a point guard than I thought. He was looking to pass to the open man most of the time. He even made nice entry passes into the post.

Our rebounding was a bit weak - although some of these were caused by long bounces from missed shots. We need to spend more time on rebounding drills. I also thought that our transition defense was spotty.

SO.....what is Conley's injury and what's the timetable for his return?...surely somebody must have some insight?...Voice?...Hax?....:blink:

John Joslin said last night on the radio with Hax that he had a minor setback (shoulder?), but that he is on track to play this Saturday.

He also said that Darien Harris would also be available on Saturday as well.

Edited by ORUIllini