Blue-White Scrimmage Saturday

Old Titan

White is listed as 6-8 205....Conley is 6-7 240......35 pounds underneath is a huge difference....Conley has always been a good defender and rebounder but not a lot of finesse as a scorer.....White sounds like more of a 3 while Conley is a 4....TheEagleman has not seen White but they seem like two completely different players with different body types....B)

Edited by theeagleman5

White is fairly slender and his look reminds me a little of Rocky Walls.  If he has as successful an ORU career as Rocky Walls then I will be elated.

Conley might have a little more beef but it's not like he is Marcus Lewis.  

Since Coach Sutton seems to like a 3 guard lineup most of the time, I guess you can consider them both to be 4s rather than 3s.  Rarely will you see 3 forwards on the court at the same time under Scott Sutton.  Maybe if Chris Miller was also playing this year then we would have had enough depth at forward to play a 3-forward lineup.

• Upvote 1

I completely agree with Voice. Javan White is one of the most skilled big men we've seen in an ORU uniform in a long time. Great hands, quick feet, and a solid basketball IQ. Does not look like a freshman at all. He's going to be an impact player immediately.

The only downside I see is his size. I think several of his 6 fouls were simply because he was throwing everything he had at Albert just to keep up with him. Opposing big men might be able to throw their weight around and put him in tough spots. 

Starting 5 prediction this season is AY, Obi Emegano, Daquan Jeffries, Brandon Conley (assuming he's healthy) and Javan White. All of those spots are up for grabs with the exception of maybe Obi's. We've got depth at each position. Excited for this years team.

Edited by EagleManiac

White is going to be a good rebounder. At the practice I attended, he seemed to have a knack for the ball. He is still adjusting to the speed of the game, but showed a nice jumper and ran the court well. He is taller that Conley but thinner. As he fills out in the years to come, he will be better able to hold his own down low. 

Bradley is a shooter. Seems to be ready (and willing) to shoot the ball at all times... with confidence. We need that. 

Jefferies will provide depth and athleticism on the wing. Just needs to get used to D-1 basketball. 

Agree with Maniac and Jason.

As far as Jason's comment on 3 "bigs" in the game, you are correct. But, I am hoping that we might try a little of a "big" line-up, with Albert at the 5, Javan at the 4, Brandon at the 3, Obi at the 2, and take your pick at point. I think that would be an interesting line-up, at times.

Also, interested to see what Kris Martin brings. He sat out during the scrimmage, but Coach Sutton had some nice things to say about him.

Going to be a very interesting year. Lots of pieces. Will be intrigued to see how the staff gets the pieces to fit...?

The million dollar question:  Can ANY of them play defense?

Typically, undersize and underage is a bad combination on the defensive end.

Time will tell!

Well....when we are playing at South Carolina, LSU, Oklahoma, New Mexico, etc....we will have to go with that BIG line up....not sure what NDSU and SDSU have right now....but sounds like our new kids can certainly push the ball up the floor.....the old ORU run and gun returns???:o

With lowering the shot clock, defenders will have to guard for less time. :P

That's one way to look at it, but don't think that some (most?) of the more defensive-minded coaches will flip that argument, exhorting their teams to guard HARDER on each defensive possession, since they have a shorter period in which they have to do so, and to force a bad shot from the opponent.

I have to think that it would be prudent to apply some soft pressure in the back court (at times) in order to disrupt the timing of the offense when they set up to run their sets. Make them work hard to get the offense started since they have less time with the shorter shot clock.