Blue-White Scrimmage Saturday

Old Titan

First, the 50th Anniversary celebration forces the Blue-White scrimmage to the unnatural hour of 10:00am this Saturday.

Now we're told that, in the event of incliment weather, the game will be moved to the Aerobics Center, so the Mabee Center can be utilized for outdoor events scheduled at the same time.

Wonder if they'll go shirts and skins, with RA's as referees?

I'm taking my ball on Saturday; gonna wander back & forth in front of the bleachers at the AC, asking all the guys "So, who's got next?".

Edited by Old Titan

TheEagleman will be interested to hear how the game goes on Saturday and who looks good and who doesn't.....I am hearing positive vibes on Jeffries....sounds like this kid from Edmond could get some serious minutes early in the season.....:D

The groundhog has already emerged from his hideout in a Mabee Center storage closet... He says six more years of the 50th anniversary celebration!

• Upvote 1

I'm talking my ball on Saturday; gonna wander back & forth in front of the bleachers at the AC, asking all the guys "So, who's got next?".

please tell me you are not "headband-wearing sweaty old guy" that insists on playing physical defense so everyone can enjoy his perspiration.

I'm more like the golfing caveman in the Geico ads, with no clue how little game he has:  "SO, WE HITTIN' FROM THE TIPS??"

• Upvote 1

White Team: 

Guards: Aaron Anderson, Jalen Bradley, Adam Glenville, Obi Emegano

Forwards: Javan White, DaQuan Jeffries, Brandon Conley (Brandon did not play)

Blue Team:

Guards: Aaron Young, Chris Crawford, Isaac Gilliam, Darian Harris (kind of a small forward), Kris Martin (Kris did not play)

Forwards: Tre Vance, Albert Owens

The White Team won by 20 points.  The final score was 70-50.

Top Scorers: Jalen Bradley 19, Aaron Young 18, Javan White 16, DaQuan Jeffries 15, Albert Owens 14, Obi Emegano 14, Chris Crawford 7, Darian Harris 5, Adam Glenville 4, Tre Vance 4, Isaac Gilliam 3, Aaron Anderson, 1.

The 3 players that appear to be battling for PG are Chris Crawford, Aaron Young, and Aaron Anderson.  Also, Jalen Bradley brought up the ball a few times but is probably more of an SG.

Tre Vance came off the bench for the blue team to spell Albert Owens and Darian Harris.  All 6 players played regularly for the white team.  Either Glenville or Jalen Bradley initially came off the bench for the white team (if I remember correctly).  Sean Sutton coached the white team and Kyan Brown coached the blue team.

PG:  Chris Crawford and Aaron Young moved seamlessly between PG and SG duties from possession to possession.  There was no drop off between them IMHO.  Aaron Anderson played OK but probably didn't have his best day.  He did not stand out as much as Crawford and Young.  Crawford was cold but he is a streaky shooter.  His shot was off today but he drew several fouls and both he and Aaron Young had a few nice drives to the basket.  Crawford's speed, deceptively quick changes of direction, and ability to steal the ball will probably cause him to get the most playing time eventually as long as his overall defense is not a liability.

SG/SF: I consider Obi Emegano and Darian Harris to be shooting guards that also fill a small forward role so I will combine them with the SGs.  Obi was off at first but then heated up.  He looks to be near 100% back from his injury.  Jalen Bradley was on fire from 3 point range and had pretty solid defense for his height (listed a 6'1").  He was probably the leading scorer for the game (either him, Javan White, or Obi) all on 3 pointers and should provide solid depth at SG.  He also had some nice passes as well.  Adam Glenville was not spectacular but was solid.  I see him as providing solid depth but also probably not starting.  If Aaron Anderson loses out in the PG battle, then he will make the SG battle for playing time pretty interesting.  Darian looks the same as last year as well, preferring the 3 point shot rather than trying to mix it up down low.  Isaac Gilliam played the least but still appeared to hold his own during the time he was out there.

F/C: Albert Owens looked about like last year.  He had some nice moves around the basket when they fed him the ball, but they didn't focus on feeding him the ball nearly enough.  Later in the game he decided to try shooting 3s, which is not what your 6'9" center is supposed to be doing.  Javan White had several nice baskets including 2 alley oops from Obi Emegano.  They seemed to have a nice chemistry.  Javan is athletic and when he learns how not to keep fouling his opponents, I think he will get a lot of playing time (he had at least 5 fouls).  Daquan Jeffries also looks athletic and had some nice moves.  He missed several contested shots near the basket but clearly will earn regular playing time.  Tre Vance played the least of this group but hit a nice baseline jump shot.  He will provide depth at forward but is probably behind Albert, Javan, DaQuan, and Brandon Conley (when fully healthy) in the pecking order IMHO.

None of the 12 players appeared to be overwhelmed in the game.  I would have liked to see Kris Martin play, but perhaps he is nursing an injury?  If I were to project a starting lineup and a Top 8-9 player rotation, I would predict:

Starters: PG - Aaron Young (due to experience)  SG - Obi Emegano  SF - Daquan Jeffries  F - Javan White  C - Albert Owens

Key backups: Brandon Conley (who might start instead of Albert or DaQuan), Chris Crawford (who will push Aaron Young to start), Jalen Bradley

I see an interesting battle between Aaron Anderson, Darian Harris, and Jalen Bradley for backup SG playing time.  From today's game, I would put Jalen Bradley slightly ahead of Aaron and Darian, but since he is the shortest of the 3, he is exclusively an SG backup.  However, Aaron Anderson 6'3" and Darian Harris 6'6" could probably backup at the SG and SF positions so playing time may depend on whether they want to just run a 3-guard lineup like it seems they did for most of last year. 

Edited by ORUJason
  • Upvote 1

huge thanks for the recap ORUJason!!   any word on why Martin did not play?

as for starting five, i'll go with

Young, Emegano, Jeffries, Conley, White

My only additional comments to ORUJason's excellent recap:

1.  Albert Owens looked leaner and more confident with the ball than last year.  He will be over-matched at times in the post, because he's simply not THAT tall or athletic, but he has a wide range of moves that remind me of Marcus Lewis.  He just needs to rev up his motor:  he seemed at times to be on cruise control, especially on defense.

2.  To me, Darian Harris looked exactly the same as the beginning of last year.  Not aggressive - almost timid - a lot of the time, hanging around the perimeter, not driving to the hole, or mixing it up in the paint on either end.  Very disappointing.  He, too, needs some fire in his belly!

3. If Aaron Anderson did anything good OR bad, I just didn't notice.  Not sure that's a bad thing:  could mean he had several quiet assists, didn;t get embarrassed on defense or turn the ball over.  I simply don't know - he was invisible!

4. Javan White was also a little soft at times, but was more explosive with the ball than I expected.  Also rebounded well, though he had a couple of silly over-the-back fouls when he was out of position.  Could be a real factor right off the bat this season, since the front line is so small (Conley and Martin both being out only accentuated that liability). 

5. If you were looking for intensity, here were your guys:  Obi, Aaron Young, Jalen Bradley, and DaQuan Jefferies.  All played with a lot of of energy.  Bradley is undersized but does a good job of getting loose on the perimeter for a legitimate off-the-floor jump shot from behind the arc.  The most intriguing player of the early season:  could be a real factor, or merely a spot sub, depending on a variety of factors.  Jefferies is one of those guys with a short torso and REALLY long legs; looks like a running back or wide receiver.  Fascinating prospect, with a couple of very serviceable 3-point attempts when the defense sagged on him.

6. Speaking of threes, both teams shot a LOT of them, and made a fair share.  Seemed to be a real point of emphasis in the offenses on Saturday:  the first open look, went up.  Curious to see if that will continue in the regular season.  It appeared several of the players had the green light:  Obi, Aaron Young, Chris, Darian, Jalen, and DaQuan.  Perhaps that is why even Albert was lofting 3's from out top.

7. I recall very few (any?) run outs for lay-ups or dunks.  Neither team forced the issue defensively on the perimeter.  That's a little worrisome, because this roster can't afford to let teams pound the ball down low or drive to the rim at will.  Just not big enough on the interior to stop offenses that get into the paint.  With so many guards on the team, simply no reason not to have a fanatical effort out top on "D".

Hummmmm......some good...some not so good.... I still love my ORU Golden Eagles but still sounds like about a 14-16 regular season to TheEagleman......:blink:

Edited by theeagleman5

Hummmmm......some good...some not so good.... I still love my ORU Golden Eagles but still sounds like about a 14-16 regular season to TheEagleman......:blink:

No, they're better than that.  I think the 3rd-or-4th place conference finish is about right; 17-to-19 wins overall.  Could be in the CIT or the CBI once it's all said and done.

So you really think we can go 19-11 in the regular season?.....wow.....TheEagleman would take that in a heartbeat....to win 19, ORU will have to go 7-7 in non conference play and then 12-4 in the Summit....is that doable?....I just can't see it....it just seems like so many new players....and not a lot of physicality down low....we are gonna need to drain a lot of 3 balls.....I hope I am wrong but hard to see this team much better than 15 regular season wins at most.....:unsure:

I thought SEVERAL guys looked REALLY good, at the scrimmage. Javan White will be all-conference newcomer. He is going to be a player. Very skilled. Very athletic.

DaQuan is also going to be a beast. And, Jaylen could beat them all out for starting point guard. Add in Kris Martin and Brandon Conley, who sat out on Saturday, and we are going to be VERY deep and athletic.

I was very encouraged by what I saw in the scrimmage on Saturday!!

So many new faces out there. Very young team.  I thought Jeffries looked the most game ready.  White was good as a rebounder, but to me he is a lesser Conely. Harris has never really impressed me. He has heavy feet.  I agree with OT, Albert is going to be much better this year. He is leaner and more comfortable.  AY looked very good as well.  Something about him is different this year. I think he will be the heart and soul of this team.  Crawford looked like a freshman to me.  All energy, no skill.  He was missing layups and playing out of control most of the game.  I'd be surprised if he gets too much playing time early in the season. 

Young, Obi, Jeffries, Conely, Albert.  White and Harris off the Bench. 

I could not disagree more, about Javan White.

He is very skilled. Stepped out and comfortably drained a 15-footer. Made a couple of great passes, including a bounce pass thru traffic, to a cutting teammate down the lane, for an easy bucket. Has good hands.

As much as I like Brandon Conley, I think that comparison is WAY off base. I think he will make a big impact on this team, from the get-go.

But, who knows...maybe I'm completely off my rocker?

• Upvote 1