ORU Basketball Practice - October 3rd

ORUTerry

Think I will go with my grandson. I would like to see how they look. I saw one of the freshman today and he thought the team would be good this year. I sure hope so. We need a turn around season.

TheEagleman will expect a full report, Grad....let us know if injured players Obi and Conley are practicing....:unsure:

I plan to go and will try to post my observations. Will need a scorecard with all of the new faces.

Please do post.  It is hard for me to attend considering it would involve traveling 1000+ miles one way.

Who scheduled the practice during this exciting OSU-KSU football game?.....:o

SO what's the word on Saturdays' practice.....how did we look?....were Obi and Conley on the court?....:unsure:

AH...I think I can answer my own question....from the ORU website I see a clip with Conley and Obi working out in the practice....that's good news that it appears they should be ready to go come November....:P

Sorry for the delay. Expected someone else to respond. Stayed for the 2 hours of workout. My grandson got tired just watching the team who seemed to be in pretty fair shape. Obi, Brandon and Tre who hurt his foot were all on the floor and worked out. Sometimes coach would not let Obi or Brandon in on the drill. They all three looked real good. I will try to give my honest opinion.

0Aaron YoungGJr.5-11165Edmond, Okla. / Memorial HS (Eastern Oklahoma State)
1DaQuan JeffriesFFr.6-5210Edmond, Okla. / Santa Fe HS
2Aaron AndersonGR-Jr.6-3190Edmond, Okla. / Santa Fe HS (Central Oklahoma)
3Kris MartinGFr.6-5177Frisco, Texas / Kimball HS
5Brandon ConleyFSr.6-7240Fort Worth, Texas / Fossil Ridge HS
10Jalen BradleyGJr.6-1180Norfolk, Neb. / Norfolk HS (Northeast CC)
11Chris CrawfordGFr.6-1181Tulsa, Okla. / Victory Christian HS
12Isaac GilliamGSo.6-2195Dripping Springs, Texas / Dripping Springs HS
15Obi EmeganoGR-Sr.6-3215Edmond, Okla. / Memorial HS (Western Illinois)
20Tre VanceFJr.6-9220Portland, Ore. / Parkrose HS (Clark College)
21Adam GlenvilleGSr.6-4203O'Fallon, Mo. / O'Fallon Christian HS
25Javan WhiteFFr.6-8205Ames, Iowa / Ames HS
33Darian HarrisGR-So.6-6195Springdale, Ark. / Shiloh Christian HS (Creighton)

44Albert OwensCSo.6-926

Cedar Hill, Texas / Trinity Christian High

1. AY looks ready
  2. DaQuan Silky smooth. Grandson says like Westbrook Cream of the Crop
  3. Aaron Anderson Will contribute. nice touch on the ball
  4. Kris Martin  nice shot and will get better Freshman
  5. Jalen Bradley. Tough, Tough kid and has nice shot
  6. Chris Crawford  Looks like a freshman
  7.  Javon White  Needs some bulk but will be a nice addition scrappy nice shooter
  8. Tre Vance Could be a ace in the hole. Nice size
  9. Albert Owens  Much improved could be a big factor in season

I’m sorry this is so late in coming. I attended the basketball practice on Saturday afternoon and here is my recap. (I am a compulsive note taker so I apologize for the length of this post.)

·         The practice was open as part of the NIKE Coaches Clinic. I estimated that there were 50+ coaches (high school?) there.  The new trainer spoke for a few minutes and explained what the players were doing to warm up & stretch. Scott Sutton (who was miked) also introduced himself and spoke to the crowd intermittently throughout the practice – explaining the drills and the intent.  Both Scott and Sean have lost weight and looked quite slim.

·         This was the first practice of the season – not counting the practices conducted before and during the missions’ trip. The young guys  (especially Tre Vance, who evidently was injured this summer and did not practice much) were a bit lost at times with the new practice drills.

·         Everyone (all 12 players) participated in practice. Three players (Emegano, Conley and Vance) wore red jerseys and were held out of contact drills. I think Chris Miller sat in front of me in the stands and stayed the whole practice time – in his jeans.

·         I counted 17 different drills that the players went through. There was no scrimmage. I am not a great basketball strategist or particularly adept at analyzing players – but here are my general observations:

o    Several players looked a bit bigger/stronger (upper body) – especially Conley and Harris. The guys got along well with lots of chatter and giving encouragement.

o   The only five man drill that I noticed had the following players in the apparent first group:  (Emegano, Conley, Owens, Young, Harris)

o   There were several running/shooting drills. The shooters that stood out: Jefferies, Bradley, Harris and Martin.

o   Several offensive/defensive drills (one-on-one and one-on-two); Sean Sutton worked these drills pretty hard – lots of teaching.

o   They ran an interesting rebounding drill that had five players in a semi-circle around the basket with another five outside those players. A ball was thrown toward the basket and the interior players blocked out their counterpart – and all of them fought for the rebound. Javan White stood out as a rebounder. He has a nose for the ball. He is thin, but just as tall as Owens. Owens was also active and seemed more assertive. Vance is also as tall (or taller?) than Owens. Conley looks bigger and was focused. Was talking on court more than I remember.

o   From the little I saw, Jefferies is going to be good. He has size (6’6”?) and is very athletic, a good ball handler and can shoot. He will push Harris for the wing position.

o   There was a full court, one-on-one drill (white vs. blue). The pairs were:  Anderson vs. Young; Martin vs. Crawford; Jefferies vs. Harris; Owens vs. White and Bradley vs. a walk on. The Jefferies vs. Harris and Owens vs. White contests were nice to watch.

Thanks for the recaps, Grad and Terry. Excited for this season. Sounds like we've got some good talent.

Thanks for the analysis, guys - curious to see how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

Did I see correctly that the Blue-White Scrimmage is at 10:00am on Saturday, October 24th, as part of the event-a-minute 50th Anniversary schedule?

Worried the attendance at the coach's clinic might exceed those who are able to make it to the Mabee Center at that hour, wedged between all the 50th Anniversary breakfasts, brunches, lunches, high teas, parades, etc. on Saturday. (I'm not joking:  there really is a parade that afternoon, starting in the student parking lot, snaking around campus, before ending at (or in) Lake Evelyn.  Bathing suits optional.)

Edited by Old Titan

ORU now has a Lake Evelyn?....is there a Lake Lindsay, too?....if there is it's probably all dried up.......:ph34r:

Edited by theeagleman5

ORU now has a Lake Evelyn?....is there a Lake Lindsay, too?....if there is it's probably all dried up.......:ph34r:

I doubt it's official, but the pond situated between Johnson Stadium and the dorms has been called Lake Evelyn since AT LEAST back when I was in school in the early 80's.

I've always wondered about that pond:  no visible in-flow of water, yet it's always full and seems impervious to both heavy rain and droughts.  Spring-fed maybe?  In Tulsa?  That would be unusual.

Any geologists or civil engineers out there have the skinny on this mysterious body of water?

All the water that flows in front of towers ends up in Lake Evelyn.  That probably keeps it at a fairly stable level.