2015-2016 Schedule

ORUalum

Another tidbit:  New Mexico State message board has us playing the Aggies on December 21st in Las Cruces.

That's a nice little sandwich game for anyone looking for a possible ORU road upset (or maybe just a cover against the Vegas spread):  NMSU is at UTEP on the 19th, and at Baylor the 23rd... 8)

Looks like all that might be lacking at this date (8/27) from the 28 regular season games previously announced by other schools is...

1-2 exhibition games

1 non-D1 opponent (hopefully!)

1 more D-1 opponent, yet announced?

That would make 30 games (the James Madison tournament is, in fact, an exempt event).

come on ORU athletics media team......Twitter is so 2014.......do it on Periscope with Coach Sutton announcing the out of league schedule and offering a short commentary about each game.

at least we are finally getting it.....can't wait for the season to start!!! :eagles:

Have to admit, it's a little anti-climactic when we already know all but a couple of games.

But, it will be nice to finally have it all nailed down after months of speculation.

For those few of us who do not have a Twitter account and do not plan on getting one, could someone who does have such an account post the 411 on here when it becomes available? Thanks!

the 2 non-D1 games we were missing are Tabor and John Brown....

CNd1Hc5UkAA2g40.jpg

20-10 heading into the Summit League tournament.

Bold pre-season prediction.

I'm just curious, Voice...

For non-conference, we have 4 home games, 8 away, and two neutral.  For conference (obviously), eight each of home and away.

Assuming we win all home and neutral games (14-0), we would have to finish 6-2 in Summit road games to reach your 20 win plateau projection, or steal some road wins in non-conference.

So, of our 16 road games, where do we get those six wins (and we may need a seventh or eighth, in case we slip up at home or in the neutral tournament)?

Sorry, Voice.....5-9 heading into the Summit League schedule.....14-16 overall........gonna be a tough year with so much inexperience....I guess I could see best case scenario ORU is 7-7 after the non conference schedule and maybe we can go 10-6 in the Summit....that would be 17-13......but that's if all goes well, the young guys contribute and no serious injuries......but TheEagleman would have to wager on 14-16.......... :sweat:

I like the youth and athleticism. Hope Obi and Conley make a quick recovery from their off season shoulder surgeries.... We need their experience - and talent on the court.

Projected starting five:

Aaron Young - pg

Harris - sg  (this position is wide open: Bradley, Martin, Crawford, Anderson, etc. could fill this role)

Emegano - wing

Conley - power forward

Owens - center

We need Tre Vance and Javan White to provide quality minutes down low.

This team has lots of jelling to go through with the large amount of new (and young) faces.

20-10 heading into the Summit League tournament.

For this to happen, Javan White will have to deliver a "Newcomer Of The Year"-type of season. 

Is he that good, Voice?

Because otherwise, ORU is simply (once again) too small.

20-10 in the regular season......not seeing it because of the early season tough schedule and our youth....plus no guarantee that Obi will be 100% by November....if we finish 20-10 or better....TheEagleman will fly to Tulsa and run around Mabee Center in a jock strap......:o

I think there are going to be a lot of pleasantly surprised ORU fans, this year. Of course, that is assuming we are/stay healthy.

Eagleman...get your plane ticket now!

I think there are going to be a lot of pleasantly surprised ORU fans, this year. Of course, that is assuming we are/stay healthy.

I am rarely "pleasantly" surprised.

Because that means I was wrong in the first place, and I hate that.  :razz:

Edited by Old Titan

back to the schedule....

i tuned into Tulsa sports animal at work yesterday to hear some OU/OSU football talk and was surprised to hear an interview with Coach Sutton.

it was pretty funny.  i guess Al Jerkens had been giving him grief about the schedule.  Coach Sutton said if Big Al wanted to go raise 300k for the program he would get a better schedule with fewer money games.  Big Al then pushed back and "can't you at least give us some more home games?"  To which Coach Sutton said he would now have to raise 500k to buy some games.

the moral of the story is that it is getting harder and harder to schedule.  the non-D1 games are now necessary just to fill out somewhat of a home schedule.  he would rather not schedule those games, but he has no choice.   the money and pressure on the power 5 coaches is making it next to impossible to get them to the mabee center or any other mid-major/low major school.  1 for 1 have long been a thing of the past and 2 for 1 are now almost impossible.....they would rather buy a game than have to travel.

this is part of the reason the schedule comes out later now.  i think he said that SFA had 5 games to fill as of a week or two ago....no one wants to play them.

Edited by ORUalum
  • Upvote 1

SFA?....heck, why doesn't ORU play them?....we can't get a home/home with the Lumberjacks?.....I guess not....NCAA basketball scheduling is getting absurd......:blink: