2015-2016 Schedule

ORUalum

Sorry, I meant Macomb. I think I had Moline and the Quad Cities on the brain after watching Jordan Spieth win the John Deere Classic up there about the same time i made that post.

Thanks for the follow up OT. I was hoping Moline, but figured it was Macomb......maybe someday ORU will make a trip and take on Northern Illinois, seems like playing a MAC school would be a good fit.

• 3 weeks later...

So, now that the staff will be returning to Tulsa from the DR trip, here's hoping the schedule can be finalized (or, if already done, it can be officially released).

Last year's schedule was announced on August 20th, which may have been the latest date ever. Frankly wondering if this year's release might be even later, if ORU is still trying to get into an exempt tournament (which, according to this website, had not happened as of August 10th).

Here's where I think it stands right now:

2015-2016 BASKETBALL SCHEDULE (tentative - edited 8/25/15)

NOV 13     MISSOURI STATE         MABEE CENTER

Nov 16      at South Carolina          Columbia, SC (added 8/11/15)

Nov 21      vs UT-Martin                  Harrisonburg, VA (added 8/19/15)

Nov 21      at James Madison         Harrisonburg, VA (added 8/19/15)

Nov 21      vs Florida Intl                 Harrisonburg, VA (added 8/19/15)

NOV 28     DETROIT                       MABEE CENTER
Dec. 1       at New Mexico              Albuquerque, NM
Dec. 5       at Tulsa                          Reynolds Center
Dec 12      at Oklahoma                  Norman, OK
Dec 16      at Missouri State           Springfield, MO

Dec. 19     at LSU                           Baton Rouge, LA (added 8/20/15)
Dec. 21     at New Mexico St.         Las Cruces, NM (from NMSU message board 8/25)
Dec 30      at IPFW*                        Ft. Wayne, IN
JAN 3       SOUTH DAKOTA*          MABEE CENTER
Jan 6        at Denver*                      Denver, CO
JAN 9       NORTH DAKOTA ST*    MABEE CENTER
Jan 14      at IUPUI*                        Indianapolis, IN
Jan 16      at Western Illinois*         Macomb, IL
JAN 21     SOUTH DAKOTA ST*     MABEE CENTER
JAN 23     OMAHA*                         MABEE CENTER
JAN 28     IPFW*                             MABEE CENTER
Feb 4       at North Dakota St*        Fargo, ND
Feb 6       at South Dakota*            Vermillion, SD
FEB 11    IUPUI*                             MABEE CENTER
FEB 13    WESTERN ILLINOIS*      MABEE CENTER
FEB 19    DENVER*                         MABEE CENTER
Feb 25    at Omaha*                        Omaha, NE
Feb 27    at South Dakota St*         Brookings, SD
Mar 5-8 Summit League Tournament - Sioux Falls, SD

That's 23 28 known games.  Even if they don't play in an exempt event, the schedule lacks 4 or 5 3 or 4 more games. = ???.  An exempt event would add 2 or 3 more games on top of that.  The last few ORU seasons have all included an exempt event and around 30 games scheduled.

And why do I think that 30-game plateau is important?  Well, for one thing, it's a lot harder to win 20 games (the magic number for most postseason tournament selection committees) when you only play 27 or less games in a season.

I'm thinking those dinky ol' wins last year over Haskell and Tabor actually went a long way toward ORU getting the CBI bid.  Curious to see what additional games - at ANY level - will eventually be on the schedule when it is released.

Scheduling ain't easy, but I'd sure like one more "marquee" non-conference home game...

For old times sake, maybe a home/home with Valpo, with the first game at Mabee this November?!?

from answers.com (so take that for what it's worth)

Regular Season Games Allowed:

31 games in one season, consisting of
27 regular schedule games
+ up to 4 games if in an in-season tournament like the Preseason NIT or Great Alaska Shootout (my quick research showed most are just 3 game tournaments),
or

29 games if not participating in any in-season tournaments.

[source: NCAA 2010-11 Division 1 Manual, Section 17.3.5 Number of Contests]

from answers.com (so take that for what it's worth)

Regular Season Games Allowed:

31 games in one season, consisting of

27 regular schedule games

+ up to 4 games if in an in-season tournament like the Preseason NIT or Great Alaska Shootout (my quick research showed most are just 3 game tournaments),

or

29 games if not participating in any in-season tournaments.

[source: NCAA 2010-11 Division 1 Manual, Section 17.3.5 Number of Contests]

Those are the maximum numbers allowed; teams can play less than that (but few do).

UT - Martin (Nov 20), James Madsion (Nov 21), and FIU (Nov 22)  --- James Madison MABC Classic

From Friday, Nov. 20, to Tuesday, Nov. 24, JMU plays its first home tournament since the 2010-11 season when it hosts the Men Against Breast Cancer Classic at the JMU Convocation Center. The Dukes welcome FIU (Nov. 20, 3:30 p.m.), Oral Roberts (Nov. 21, 7:30 p.m.) and UT-Martin (Nov. 22, 3:30 p.m.) over the weekend, before wrapping up the tournament with a contest against in-town Eastern Mennonite (Nov. 24, 7 p.m.).

The Dukes' three weekend games of the MABC Classic will each be the second game of the day with Oral Roberts facing UT-Martin at 1 p.m. Friday, FIU facing UT-Martin at 5 p.m. Saturday and FIU facing Oral Roberts at 1 p.m. Sunday.

• Upvote 1

UT - Martin (Nov 20), James Madsion (Nov 21), and FIU (Nov 22)  --- James Madison MABC Classic

Interesting for a couple of reasons:  not sure this an exempt event or not.  If not, these games would count toward the 27-game max allowed, leaving just one more game to be announced on ORU's schedule (presumably a non-D1).  If it is an exempt tournament, ORU could still add up to to four conventional games to their schedule.

Secondly, this should be excellent practice for the 3-game grind required to win the Summit League tournament in March.  I'm not sure this ORU team is going to be good enough in November to win all three of these games, but see no reason why they shouldn't be very competitive in all three. 

Good slate!

Not overly close to me, but Harrisonburg, Va. is a comfortable drive, maybe 4 hours. I will not be able to make the Friday game with UT Martin, but the games with JMU on Saturday and FIU on Sunday are very doable.

Hummmm.....TheEagleman also has about a 4-5 hour drive to JMU.....might have to consider it depending on what's going on 3 months from now....so we play host JMU Saturday night at 7:30pm then have to turn around and play FIU at 1pm on Sunday?.....ouch!..... :|

AT LSU???....Coach Sutton needs to schedule a couple of home patsies or it could be a difficult Nov/Dec........... :sweat:

So...ORU is playing as South Carolina on Monday, 11/16.....then at the JMU tournament in Harrisonburg, VA from Friday 11/20 - Sunday 11/22....I guess Coach Sutton and the guys will hang around on the east coast for the entire week?.....that's a sizeable motel bill for the school....lol......doesn't make much sense though to fly back to Tulsa for about 48 hours....maybe the team can hop over to Liberty University and visit Mike Minyard....come to think of it....since we are in the neighborhood, why aren't we playing the Flames?.... :nerd:

LSU is a dark-horse pick to unseat Kentucky in the SEC this year.  6-10 freshman phenom Ben Simmons is a legitimate "one-and-done" NBA lottery pick, and could go first overall.

In short:  they're loaded... :sweat:

Supposed to be LSU's best team (on paper) in close to twenty years. They always have good players though... the coach gets in the way.

ORU is in for a tough go with the non conference schedule.....LSU might be the toughest of the lot....and it  looks like OT was right.....this official schedule release might not get done until September..... :nerd: