ORU TITANS????

tmh8286

Apparently the discussion over the ORU team name returning to the Titans is gaining some traction. There is currently a fundraising campaign going on that allows alumni to vote on which mascot they prefer. For any donation to the campaign you will be sent a shirt of your choice - either a "Golden Eagles" shirt or a "Titans" shirt. In addition, have your picture taken in your ORU shirt, post it on line, and a "best of" photo will be chosen to go in Excellence Magazine.

So far in the competition "Titans" leads, 291-210. And just so you don't think that this is idle chatter, it's my understanding, from someone in a place to know, that there is a fairly strong push taking place - at both the student and alumni levels - to have the name changed back to Titans. ORUBlue82 (and ORUTerry?) is on the alumni board, maybe he can enlighten us further as to how serious this conversation is.

ORU's 50th Anniversary Campaign

I thought this was just a fun way to see if the Golden Eagles (new alumni) or the Titans (older alumni) could donate more.  I don't think it is a vote to change the mascot.

TheEagleman was a Titan in the old days....but I actually prefer Golden Eagles now....I just think it's time for a better looking mascot..... :nerd:

tmh, is this serious or just an attempt to stir up conversation?

Mike Carter's rendering of what the new mascot will look like if it changes back to Titans....LINK

• Upvote 2

If we end up keeping Golden Eagles, which is okay with me, we absolutely need to get rid of the current incarnation of Eli.  Put that to a vote, please.

If this is at all true, I can only imagine AD Mike Carter's first (and, probably correct) response: 

"And are the students and alumni also going to raise the money for the cost of the conversion?"

Everything from logo design, signage, uniforms, office supplies, brochures, websites, logo wearables, etc. - it all really adds up, for either a new Eli or Titan logo.  Somebody's got to pay for it.

That being said; something dramatic along one of those lines probably needs to happen.  The status quo is tired, bordering on geriatric.

while were at it.........bring back the real fight song.  

i refuse to recognize any ORU fight song that does not include a mention of the Lord's return. :D  :eagles:     

but seriously, this should still be the fight song.

https://youtu.be/S9Xp8RVidw8?t=10

• Upvote 1

ORUBlue82 is on the alumni board, maybe he can enlighten us further as to how serious this conversation is.

There is no proposal or discussion at the Alumni Board level for a change in ORU's mascot.  As MrsSmith stated, the Titans/Golden Eagles t-shirt competition was directed solely to engage additional interest in the 50th Anniversary Campaign (which has obviously worked) and to have a little fun amongst the students and alumni.  It captured my attention - I made my campaign pledge and picked up my Titans shirt last weekend - and found it interesting that my sons (recent graduates) also wanted a throwback "Titans" shirt, rather than one promoting the Golden Eagles.  Apparently, most students like the Titans shirts better, but it may be simply because they are different and/or retro.  

I think it is great that the University is recognizing the school's heritage by offering these shirts (and wearing the Titans shooting shirts at the Homecoming game), but I don't take this as a signal that a grass-roots "Bring back the Titans" campaign is driving for a change in the mascot.  Furthermore, while Mike Carter sits in the AD chair, this topic is not only "not on the table" - it's "not even in the same timezone".

That said, while there is no current proposal or discussion, I do believe the Alumni Board would be supportive of considering such a transition at some point in time, but only after many other higher priority items are checked off the list.

That said, while there is no current proposal or discussion, I do believe the Alumni Board would be supportive of considering such a transition at some point in time, but only after many other higher priority items are checked off the list.

Like recruiting, winning, etc.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the background, Blue. My info did not come with any indication of a definite move to change the mascot, only that there was strong interest in it.

I wonder why Mike Carter is so strongly opposed to Titans, or supportive of a somewhat outdated Eli?

ELI needs to go.....but if we are gonna keep him as is.....why not just change his name to Richard..... :*

I agree totally with ORUAlum. Bring back the fight song, if nothing else.

Not a fan of the "new" one.

• Upvote 2

Furthermore, while Mike Carter sits in the AD chair, this topic is not only "not on the table" - it's "not even in the same timezone".

Neither, I imagine, is changing the "new" fight song:  Mike commissioned its creation, and if my memory serves me from that time, he either contributed significantly to the tune, or flat-out wrote it himself.

Relax, folks. We just thought it was a cute idea to have this friendly competition as a way to engage more donors (especially students) in the campaign. We weren't trying to get ORU to switch back to the Titans. And I agree with TrueBlue: students probably like the Titans shirts just because they're different.

Also, in celebrating 50 years of ORU, we're looking back at time-honored traditions and stuff we did that was fun in the past. Some traditions, of course, never fade away, like putting soap in the LRC fountain! :talk:

I like both the name "golden eagles" and the mascot.  Jerseys could use an upgrade, but I don't see any problem with Eli.  But I hate the fight song. It has no meaning. It never caught on.  Probably because there is virtually no student present and everyone at the games grew up with the old one.  

• Upvote 1