ORU at Loyola-Chicago

theeagleman5

Well....ORU travels to the Windy City on Lake Michigan for a 2nd round game in the CBI on Monday night....the Ramblers are 20-13 but only 7-9 over the past two months....this is a decent team but not one who can't be beaten at home.....TheEagleman was impressed at the grit shown by our guys last Wednesday night...I didn't expect us to beat UCSB.....but we did....those of you who are regulars on this board know that TheEagleman wasn't pleased when Obi Emegano was given the sacred #15 worn previously by Anthony Roberts who is the greatest player ever to pull on the blue and white with ORU on the front....but even I have to admit....that while Obi has nowhere near the talent of Woosie.....he does have the heart of a Titan....and it was that heart and will that got us a win vs. UCSB and the same will carry us to victory on Monday night in Chicago....that along with contributions from Young, Word, Henderson and the rest of this Golden Eagle squad....I honestly thought that we were done when Billbury was suspended....but we have gutted out wins over NDSU, Denver, IUPUI and UCSB....we only lost a close game in the Summit semis vs. the Bison who won the whole thing.....this team has bound together and as a group have made up for the loss of one of our two best players in Billbury.....Monday night will be a tough game....we will need to bring our A game to have a shot but TheEagleman expects that Obi and Company will find a way.....the Ramblers were fortunate to beat Rider U in the first round.....Rider hadn't played good ball for the past month but they still almost beat Loyola.....I have seen Rider play and they were good in December and January....but they dropped a notch over the past month.....ORU is more talented....and the Good guys will move on to play the Vermont/Radford winner....maybe even at Mabee Center......ORU 70  Loyola 65......GO BLUE!!!... :clap: :clap: :clap:..

• Upvote 1

Loyola is a 5 point favorite tonight so it's tempting to take ORU....I really think we have a good shot to win this..... :nerd:

The Loyola Ramblers are 4-1 over their last five games and 10-6 at home; they lost to UNI (49 to 63) in the MVC tournament. They beat Rider 62 to 59 last week in the CBI.

The team's conference statistics show:

Points per game: 58.7

FG%: 46.3%

3-pt%: 39.1%

FT%: 63.0%

Rebs per game: 27.2 vs 29.2 for opponents

Assists: 12.3

Turnovers: 12.3

Fouls: 15.4

Player statistics (conference only):

Peterson (6'3" - Jr): 26.7 mpg, 8.4 ppg (46.8% FG%) and 33.3% from 3-pt (12/36) with 1.8 rebs and 2.5 assists

Thomas (6'5" - Sr): 27.1 mpg, 10.6 ppg (55.5% FG%) and 39.9% from 3-pt (7/18) with 4.6 rebs and 0.9 assists

Doyle (6'4" - So): 27.1 mmpg (9 games), 8.3 ppg (42.2% FG%) and 26.9% from 3-pt (7/26) with 2.4 rebs and 4.8 assists

Turk (6'4" - Jr): 25.4 mpg, 8.8 ppg (44.5% FG%) and 44.9% from 3-pt (44/95) with 2.6 rebs

Richardson (6'3" - Fr): 22.5 mpg, 4.7 ppg (40.0% FG%) and 40.0% from 3-pt (22/55) with 2.2 rebs and 1.8 assists

James (6'7" - Jr): 20.9 mpg, 9.4 ppg (54.7% FG%) with 4.2 rebs

Ingram (6'6" - Fr): 18.1 mpg, 5.0 ppg (43.9% FG%) and 44.4% from 3-pt (12/27) with 3.1 rebs

Crisman (6'4" - Sr): 14.7 mpg, 2.8 ppg (46.2% FG%) and 35.7% from 3-pt (5/14) with 1.6 rebs

In the their last game, Loyola essentially played eight players. Doyle scored 22 points coming of the bench.

For season they are not normally a very good free throw shooting team, but they shot 17 of 21 (81%) against Rider. Rider only shot 12 free throws - making 7.

Six losses at home....make that seven after tonight..... :nerd:

The primary stat that concerns me is the 39.1% shooting from beyond the arc. I believe our interior defense and height advantage will hold its own in the paint, but we have shown some weakness at defending the three. Still, if the refs are calling it tight, and we both get to the charity stripe often, I like our chances.

interesting note from Coach Sutton's pre-game.  the guy that leads the Ramblers in scoring is the kid Bill Self cut after a summer European trip before his freshman year at KU......we discussed the ethics of that awhile back here on the message board.

ORU down at half by 15...Obi only has 5....Young leads with 11....Emegano has to step up or we are going down big time.... :sweat:

The Good Guys have battled back to 61-52 with 9 minutes left....Young having a huge game with 18.....Obi now has 10....ORU has to step it up to another level if we want the season to continue for another game.... :|

Not looking good....only four minutes to play and Loyola has boosted the lead to 70-57.....gonna take a miracle now....on the other hand, TU is getting exposed at home by Murray State....the Racers up 45-27 at half....looks like college basketball ends for the season in Tulsa tonight..... :sweat:

well........at least they got a nice trip to Chicago to end the season.

good game plan for Loyola on Obi....take him out of the game early by playing him super physical.

they needed Korey's toughness and rebounding tonight.  he would have excelled with this style of game.....really hope he ends up getting reinstated.

Rough first half for everyone except for AY.....they battled in the 2nd half though.....would've been nice to have played this team at home....I think the momentum from the UCSB win would've carried over....

if you had ORU +6.5, you are really mad at Darrian Harris right now for that last meaningless foul.......BAD BEAT!!!!!!!

ORU battles to the end but falls 86-78....we got within 4 but getting only 10 tonight from Obi was a killer....TheEagleman is glad he laid off the game....yeah, I would have killed Harris....lol.....Young led with 26 and Bobby Word with 22......Loyola killed us on the boards 43-24......we only had 6 turnovers but when you get beat like that inside...oh well....we finish at 19-15....at least ORU went down fighting.....TU is dying like dogs at Reynolds tonight....they trail Murray St. by 25 with 12 minutes left..... :nerd:

Tough loss for the Good Guys. However, I think the couple extra games gave the Staff the time to try other line-ups, minus Korey. IMHO I think the games were worth it to give the team a jump start on next season.

• Upvote 1