Coaching Carousel 2015

Old Titan

Steve Prohm of Murray State is expected to be named the next coach at Iowa State, replacing new Chicago Bulls head coach Fred Hoiberg.

Murray State is arguably one of the best mid-major jobs in the country; and has been a springboard to big jobs for the last 4 coaches there.  Will Scott Sutton apply?

Sutton name a volatile one in those parts, though:  some folks blamed Eddie for the mess the Kentucky program found itself in at the end of of his tenure, though he was personally exonerated of any wrong-doing in the NCAA probe and subsequent sanctions...

Scott Sutton isn't going to leave ORU....at least not until his kids are grown and out of the household.......he's too comfortable at ORU and in Tulsa....plus, he's such a good fit for us....TheEagleman just can't see him leaving..... :|

• Upvote 1

Once again, you miss my/the point.

Never said Murray State was a destination job.

But, as I pointed out, it's been a launching pad for four straight coaches to a bigger, better job.

That's something ORU simply has never been, and is not today.

The last two coaches to leave ORU of their own volition moved to mid-major schools: Bill Self to Tulsa, and Barry Hinson to Missouri State.

The two most serious prospects for Scott Sutton's services over the past 15 years were also mid-majors:  Wichita State and Bradley. You can throw TU into that list too, if you consider Ross Parmley's shameless treatment of Scott Sutton anything close to a legitimate candidate pursuit.

And this not just limited to ORU. How many Summit League coaches have moved on to a power conference job? Ron Hunter? Georgia State. Saul Phillips? Ohio University. The previous guy at IPFW took an assistant coaching job in the Big 10.  Scott Drew left Valpo while it was part of the Mid-Con for Baylor of the Big XII, but it was for what many considered a suicide mission, considering the sanctions the Bears were under at the time.

No one should ever be surprised if Scott Sutton eventually takes another job at a mid-major such as Murray State. It's a logical progression:  move from a low-major, to a mid-major, before making the jump to a traditional power conference school.

And, yes, that may even involve a pay-cut in his next move, if that subsequent "big job" is ever truly his ultimate goal.

• Upvote 1

Scott was a serious contender for the TCU job several years back but that was before they joined the Big 12.

Scott was a serious contender for the TCU job several years back but that was before they joined the Big 12.

Hard to speculate how "serious" that TCU go-around ever got, but yes, he was rumored to be a candidate for that gig, too.

But, (and I don't know if this question is relevant or not to the debate), would it be fair to describe TCU as one of the five worst basketball jobs among the power conferences?

Once again, you miss my/the point.

Never said Murray State was a destination job.

But, as I pointed out, it's been a launching pad for four straight coaches to a bigger, better job.

That's something ORU simply has never been, and is not today.

The last two coaches to leave ORU of their own volition moved to mid-major schools: Bill Self to Tulsa, and Barry Hinson to Missouri State.

The two most serious prospects for Scott Sutton's services over the past 15 years were also mid-majors:  Wichita State and Bradley. You can throw TU into that list too, if you consider Ross Parmley's shameless treatment of Scott Sutton anything close to a legitimate candidate pursuit.

And this not just limited to ORU. How many Summit League coaches have moved on to a power conference job? Ron Hunter? Georgia State. Saul Phillips? Ohio University. The previous guy at IPFW took an assistant coaching job in the Big 10.  Scott Drew left Valpo while it was part of the Mid-Con for Baylor of the Big XII, but it was for what many considered a suicide mission, considering the sanctions the Bears were under at the time.

No one should ever be surprised if Scott Sutton eventually takes another job at a mid-major such as Murray State. It's a logical progression:  move from a low-major, to a mid-major, before making the jump to a traditional power conference school.

And, yes, that may even involve a pay-cut in his next move, if that subsequent "big job" is ever truly his ultimate goal.

good points OT.  he is probably at that age where he needs to decide to move on or stick around and get 500+ wins at ORU and end with his name on the floor of the Mabee Center.

if his desire is chase big time basketball, he has to regret turning down WSU.  he seems pretty happy at ORU.  i guess we will not really know until he gets back to the NCAAs (wins a game?) and becomes a hot commodity again.

If Scott Sutton was leaving for a mid-major jumping off point it would have happened by now.

And ORU could be a jumping off point just as easily as Murray or any other low-major by winning an NCAA Tournament game.

Like it was for Saul Phillips when NDSU upset Oklahoma in the 2014 NCAA first-round and he was catapulted to....Ohio University?

Following each of their respective NCAA berths, Phillips and SDSU's Scott Nagy applied for jobs everywhere. The results speak for themselves.

And if that's the best either could muster given their postseason successes, I have to say as launch pads go, the Summit League ain't exactly Cape Canaveral.

Saul Phillips is just one example. Andy Enfield, Tad Boyle, Stan Heath and others have used NCAA Tournament success to vault from schools with minimal basketball clout to high-major programs.

TCU is always going to be a football school, but if Baylor managed to turn into what Baylor is today, TCU can too. They certainly have the money to create all the necessary infrastructure for a quality program and Fort Worth is a much more desirable place to be than Waco. They're simply missing the right head coach and staff to jump on the opportunity.

What Baylor has done in all sports is miraculous, all things considered.  Their new football stadium is awesome.

All that Big XII revenue is certainly helping Baylor and TCU both. 

Which begs the question:  what's Texas' problem?

The Bradley job was as close as you can get to taking the job and it not happening for Scott.

Not sure what it would take for him to take another job.

No one at that level has taken a big jump like up to a Ark or Neb job. Just doesn't happen.

OT, Texas hired the right guy in Shaka Smart for the BB job. He has hit the ground running and wouldn't be surprised if he signs a top 5 class for 2016 as the state of Texas is loaded this year.

On the football side I really like Strong but he has 2 years to win and then the seat gets really hot. They are struggling a little.

RE: UT's problem

I ask myself this question all the time...

The Bradley job was as close as you can get to taking the job and it not happening for Scott.

Not sure what it would take for him to take another job.

No one at that level has taken a big jump like up to a Ark or Neb job. Just doesn't happen.

OT, Texas hired the right guy in Shaka Smart for the BB job. He has hit the ground running and wouldn't be surprised if he signs a top 5 class for 2016 as the state of Texas is loaded this year.

On the football side I really like Strong but he has 2 years to win and then the seat gets really hot. They are struggling a little.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^

The fact of the matter is, if you're a power-conference AD and you want to "win the press conference" (and they all do these days), you have to feel damn sure you've hired the right guy for your program if he's coming from "Oral Roberts".

Like it or not, that's just the perception out there in the market.  But, I suppose some brave, confident AD might be willing to do so some day. 

It just hasn't happened yet...

I fail to see how a Power 5 school hiring a coach from ORU is any less likely than hiring one from Florida Gulf Coast, Boston U. or Drake.