ORU vs. UCSB (CBI Tournament)

ORUTerry

So ORU is headed to Chicago for round two....just as well...announced attendance at Mabee Center tonight?.....1,687.....ouch!.... :|

One of the best games nobody saw. Fun game. Proud of the guys. Obi was a man. Aaron Young came up huge. Conely was hitting shots. UCSB was bigger and more athletic but our guys played with tons of confidence.

AND...I absolutely loved the 30 second shot clock.

• Upvote 2

It was a small crowd, but we were loud!!! And yeah, I loved the 30-sec. shot clock too.

Ditto on the 30 second clock. That game was a lot of fun. I'm disappointed to hear we will be on the road next Tuesday. Hopefully we can get that 20th win.

Tonight was a great game!!! The most fun I've had this season. Coach Sutton summed it up well in the post game interview with Haxton!  Congratulations on the win & praying they win the next round too.

• Upvote 1

That game was a blast to be a part of! Tough stuff from our boys. Smallest crowd all season, but by far the loudest and most involved I've seen in a while.

Maybe the uninspired play on the court has led to quiet crowds, or maybe the quiet crowds have led to uninspired play?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The 30 second shot clock led to a quicker pace of play.  I am a little surprised at how much it changed the game.  I am sure there were several more possessions for each team than there would have been otherwise.  It actually led to more 3 pointers by both teams as well.

Aaron Young really lifted the team in the 2nd half and Bobby Word has certainly done his best to fill in for the loss of Bilbury.

The friendly confines of the Mabee Center along with the involved crowd certainly helped propel us to victory tonight.  Hopefully they can carry that over to the road game in Chicago.

So ORU is headed to Chicago for round two....just as well...announced attendance at Mabee Center tonight?.....1,687.....ouch!.... :|

Loyola played in front of 1,105 at home on Tuesday night, so it's likely we may play before a SMALLER crowd than tonight in Chicago.  In fact, the largest crowd of the eight first round CBI games was only 3,003 at Louisiana-Monroe, and our Mabee Center crowd was third largest.

Total CBI game-by-game attendance:

Shows the state of college basketball today...

We should be pleased so many showed up!

If we get to the best of 3 championship we get at least one of those guaranteed at home, right? I'm there for that one if not before!

Easily the most entertaining game of the year. Two talented squads playing at a high level. As opposed to being rusty, both teams seemed to have an extra bounce in their step, though UCSB faded a bit physically in the 2nd half.

Three things to take away from last night:

1. ORU is not even in the CBI without those two non-D1 wins over Tabor and Haskell. 18 wins looks a lot better than 16 on Selection Sunday. Need to remember that this summer when putting together the schedule.

2. The 30-second shot clock should be made mandatory immediately. The flow of the game was spectacular, yet not one shot clock violation and no increase in rushed turnovers.

3. Mabee Center seating should be made entirely general admission except for sections A-B-C-D. Now is tbe time to do it, while season ticket sales are so low, anyway - fewer people forced to move. The energy level of everyone sitting together down low behind the benches and scorers table was wonderful; made 1000 feel like 5K. Probably looked better on TV also.

• Upvote 1

One of the most exciting, enjoyable games to watch, in a long time. Last night is the way basketball was meant to be played. Running, jumping, free flowing.

Plus, when players aren't "thinking" about every dribble, pass, and shot...they play better. Too often (players, coaches, and fans) overthink this game.

Also, while the smallest crowd of the year, it was the loudest/most fun (outside of the TU game). Imagine last night's crowd, if we added in a few hundred students and the cheerleaders. It seems to me that when we have games when students are out, the "regular" fans get MUCH more into it. Funny how that is...

Gotta be honest...I was a little lukewarm about the CBI yesterday. But, after last night, I'm kinda pumped up! Really hoping we can knock off Loyola and get another home game or two. If we play with the confidence and freedom we played with last night, no reason to think we can't make a run in this tourney. Hard to imagine many more teams in this field that will be more talented, more athletic, or more skilled than UCSB. That was a pretty darn good team we beat last night!

• Upvote 1

ORU can beat Loyola-Chi....the Ramblers aren't THAT good.....plus interesting that we will be playing the school that beat us out for the open spot in the Missouri Valley two years ago....time for a little payback.....if Obi, Young, Conley and Word all perform as they did last night we have a shot to win in the Windy City..... :nerd:

Yes. Overlooked was the performance by Brandon Conley.

We tend to get excited about Obi, Bobby, or Aaron draining 3's, but Brandon played possibly the best game of his ORU career last night. When he can face up and knock down 15 foot jumpers or drive and get to the rim, he becomes a COMPLETE player and a real weapon!

Hoping to see more of the Brandon we saw last night!!

• Upvote 2

Last night's game was definitely high energy for those that attended.  Glad to experience and participate in a game like that.  It's been a long time coming. 

The UCSB fans provided some good entertainment as well.  The Mrs. & I took the opportunity to see the game from a different vantage point (allowing OT and ORU Terry the opportunity to see the game from the real good seats :-D ).  We had the pleasure of having #15's dad sitting in front of us and giving the referees an earful (literally) for the foul disparity.  At one point, one of the referees in the crew looked up in the stands and stared down the dad for a good five seconds.  We all had a good chuckle.  Those are the moments that you strive for - to be heard and have the referees or players looking for that person making a fool out of themselves!  :)

I agree with OT that there is some merit to opening up the south side of the arena to general admission (as long as I don't lose my seats, of course!).  It plays well for the cameras and we have a lot more of the crowd getting closer to the action instead of the top of the bowl.  Since we scan tickets now, we know the attendance patterns of those on the south side and, for those seats not actively used, we could move them to the north side for their renewals.  Those that attend 90% of the games could still have the option of keeping their south side seats.  Anyone know why they blocked off the first row of seats last night?

Definitely saw some great play from AY, B-Word, and Obi, but a definite shout out to Brandon for his play last night.  The kid goes the first 17 minutes with no fouls and proceeds to get four fouls in the next 15 minutes - eventually fouling out (which needs to be fixed for his ability to stay in the game).  Brandon's ability to hit those mid-range jumpers will be instrumental in our future success by drawing out the big men from under the basket.

Hopefully we will get to see a CBI Championship game in the Mabee Center in a couple of weeks!

• Upvote 2

Right on the money about Brandon, voice (and Bogus - didn't see your post before writing this!). Probably his best home game since he's been at ORU. He's played more of a "garbage man" in the past, gobbling up rebounds and stuffing them back in the hoop. But last night he added a very effective mid-range game to his repertoire that adds dramatically to his effectiveness.

We were discussing the foul disparity a bit during the game. This game was the CLASSIC example of why fouls aren't necessarily even in every game, and shouldn't be. Whether by our defense or by game plan, UCSB quite often failed to get the ball inside and settled for outside jumpers - the fact that they were so deadly outside the three point line in the first half gave them the halftime lead. But our guys were taking the ball inside more, and getting fouled going up. Good free throw shooting actually kept us in the game for once. It's a lesson that every player, and every fan, should learn - you are going to get more fouls called taking the ball inside than you will taking jumpers from the perimeter. It's just the way the game works.

Obi was being very, very deliberate in his play--moving in a way that kept drawing fouls from UCSB no matter how hard they tried not to foul. You could see him sizing up the other team, noting the location of every player, deciding which way to move, when. And hitting those shots! I can only imagine the frustration of the Gauchos as they tried to stop him. Before the game, they probably read up on him, but thought, "That's okay--we can hold him off."

NOT!!

And a big shout-out to Brandon--he was EXTREMELY good. Very impressive!

And it was so good to see Coach smiling!