ORU vs. UCSB (CBI Tournament)

ORUTerry

Wow...so ORU will get another home game if we win tonight?....sorry to see Rider lose.....was hoping to see the Broncs go up against us in round 2....oh well....GO BLUE!!!...... :clap:

It will be interesting to see how motivated our players are to play in this tournament. With the students on Spring Break and the relative lack of time/promotion, I am not sure how much of a crowd we will have.

The Gauchos are a decent team and we will have our hands full on the boards. Williams, their 6'8" power forward, is a rebounding machine (averages 12 rebound per game), so we need to keep a body on him. Let's hope Henderson, Conley and Owens are up to the task. We also need Emegano to be assertive and Word & Young to shoot well from the perimeter. This would be a nice win against a quality opponent.

• Upvote 1

UCSB is still a 3 point pick.....I am tempted to take them but will likely just lay off....Dederick Lee was a disappointment this season....after all the build up over the past 2 years, TheEagleman was expecting a lot more....maybe he will be one of the usual 2 or 3 who leave after almost every season.... :|

What a tremendous opportunity we have tonight.  We've talked ad nauseum on this board about the challenges of bringing in decent mid-major teams to the Mabee Center - and here we are.  A solid opponent tonight - and another waits in the wings to head to Tulsa next week, IF we win tonight.  Home wins over UCSB and Loyola would earn us a 20 win season, put us in the "Final Four" of the CBI, and place us just one win away from a home-and-home series (and potentially a third game) to close out the season.  Talk about an opportunity to springboard the team and the program for next year!

I know that I'm getting ahead of myself - it's the game TONIGHT that matters.  But, it is interesting to see how the cards have been dealt in our favor - we just need to go out and execute.  If Obi is on his game tonight, I feel pretty good about our chances.  If not, then a 18-15 season is likely.

The big kid for UCSB is a LOAD.  Steve Forbes with hops - leads the country in rebounding.

All depends on how the game is called:  if he gets in foul trouble while Obi gets to the line 8-10 times, I like ORU's chances in a close one.

But, if their big guy plays 30 minutes or more?  Not good...

• Upvote 1

THEEagleman would feel a lot better if we had Billbury in the lineup.....but ya never know....would love to see us advance against Loyola-Chicago at home.... :nerd:

According to his Twitter account, Lee is back home in Arkansas.

it's a shame things did not work out for Lee.  i think they gave him every opportunity.....red-shirt, moved Jackson out of the way, multiple starts this year.  for whatever reason, things never clicked. 

i wonder if he will step down a level and play with his brothers or go JUCO and take another shot at D1.  i wish him all the best, he seems like a really good guy.

it's a shame things did not work out for Lee.  i think they gave him every opportunity.....red-shirt, moved Jackson out of the way, multiple starts this year.  for whatever reason, things never clicked. 

i wonder if he will step down a level and play with his brothers or go JUCO and take another shot at D1.  i wish him all the best, he seems like a really good guy.

Is it official that he is done with the team?

Dederick Lee will transfer at the end of this season. The #orumbb Freshman will not be in uniform for the remainder of the year.

— Geoff Haxton (@GeoffHaxton)

March 18, 2015

Hax just confirmed on the pre-game show that Lee has decided to transfer.

ORU has that whole thing of turning it over immediately out of your own TO down pat.

Edit: and there's another one....curious to see a stat on that

Edit: and there's another one....

Huge win for ORU 91-87.....30 points for Obi including bunch a big FTs down the stretch.....must have been exciting...too bad no TV....TheEagleman would have loved to have watched....now we play Loyola-Chicago next week also at Mabee Center.....what a difference a week makes!.....GO BLUE!.... :clap:

• Upvote 1

Huge win for ORU 91-87.....30 points for Obi including bunch a big FTs down the stretch.....must have been exciting...too bad no TV....TheEagleman would have loved to have watched....now we play Loyola-Chicago next week also at Mabee Center.....what a difference a week makes!.....GO BLUE!.... :clap:

i think it's TBA on next game.  Loyola deleted the tweet that said they would be on the road in the next round.

Edit:

The Ramblers will take on Oral Roberts in the second round of the @CBItourney on Monday, March 23! The location is TBD. #OnwardLU #2015CBI

— Loyola Basketball (@RamblersMBB)

March 19, 2015

Edit:

ORU AD Mike Carter after the game: "We're going to Chicago." Sounds like it'll be ORU & Loyola Chicago in the CBI quarters Monday. #orumbb

— Ben Johnson (@BenJohnsonTUL) March 19, 2015

It was an amazing game! I was so proud of our guys. Whereas in earlier games, they might have caved after the other team got a dunk or hit a big 3, our Eagles did not give up. They hung tough, played hard, and I believe 4 of them (at least) were in double figures, which is how it should be. (The refs also helped, calling lots of fouls on our opponents.)

And our women won tonight! Celebrations all around!

Go, Eagles!!!!

• Upvote 1