Selection Sunday

Old Titan

Love all the TU talk on this board!  LOL at the post that claims TU was never on the bubble!  Seriously?  I guess this "Maniac" has an excuse to not keep up with bracket projections since ORU never has a chance for an at large bid.  Anyway I hope both Tulsa teams win this week 'cause I'm not ready for spring football yet!

Show me where ANYONE on the actual SELECTION COMMITTEE says TU was on the bubble. 

Fairly confident the only people who thought TU had a chance for an at-large bid were TU people themselves.

A borderline #2 seed in the NIT tournament doesn't lie:  TU was SEVERAL teams away from being considered on Selection Sunday.

But hey, TU fans, if you want a taste of what it's REALLY like to be under consideration in "The Room" on Sunday, here's the actual graphic from the end of The Selection Show in 2012:  "ORU, Miami, Drexel, Nevada First Four Out" (and from that dumpy ol' Summit League, no less...)

P.S. Somebody block this troll TUPond - he ran straight from the ORU forum to egg everyone on the TU message board into coming to read this thread.

LOL - "You mad, bro?"  #scoreboard

TU was never mentioned during the selection show... so no they weren't on the bubble.

Losing to every state school including a D2 doesn't put you on the bubble.

• Upvote 1

If TU can improve their recruiting and their quality of non-conference scheduling, then they would have an opportunity in a "special" season to get an at-large bid if they were perceived as the 2nd best team in the AAC.  Their new conference will give them that opportunity.  But seeing Temple be left out, it is clear that the standard will be high for an at-large bid from the AAC.

However, as mentioned before about 2012, when ORU almost put together that nearly "special" season, from the Summit League we were only 1 win away from an at-large bid that would have represented a 2nd bid for the Summit League.  It is possible for us as well with better recruiting and winning several key non-conference matchups that we also could get an at-large bid in the future.

Even NDSU got a 15-seed so they were considered at least the 7th best team in the NCAA tournament field this year.  That is a sign of respect for the Summit League that I wasn't sure we would receive since there was not a single "stand-out" team this year and even NDSU was considered the 2nd best team in the conference, not the best team.  That is a good sign for our future if we can keep improving and our league can keep several competitive teams that can win enough non-conference matchups to improve the perception of our league.

No doubt the AAC is a better situation for TU than the previous situation in what Conference USA became, because Memphis would get a bid and pretty much everyone else was left out in the cold unless they beat Memphis in the conference tournament.  That proved very difficult to pull off, so TU's situation is improved, but probably not as much as they had hoped.

tu wasn't a legitimate bubble team. They missed out on a good opportunity to capitalize on a weak conference (relative to expectations). UConn, Memphis, SMU and Cincinnati will get stronger. tu should just focus on not getting shut out by in-state teams next year.

Show me where ANYONE on the actual SELECTION COMMITTEE says TU was on the bubble. 

Fairly confident the only people who thought TU had a chance for an at-large bid were TU people themselves.

A borderline #2 seed in the NIT tournament doesn't lie:  TU was SEVERAL teams away from being considered on Selection Sunday.

But hey, TU fans, if you want a taste of what it's REALLY like to be under consideration in "The Room" on Sunday, here's the actual graphic from the end of The Selection Show in 2012:  "ORU, Miami, Drexel, Nevada First Four Out" (and from that dumpy ol' Summit League, no less...)

P.S. Somebody block this troll TUPond - he ran straight from the ORU forum to egg everyone on the TU message board into coming to read this thread.

LOL - "You mad, bro?"  #scoreboard

Relax old timer, no need in getting your blood pressure up.  I know TU wasn't a bubble team on Sunday.  My point was that TU was hovering around the in, last 4 four in, etc. for the past few weeks.  The way our regular season ended, TU fans should come over here and get a laugh or two from some of the haters posts.  Just get your program better so that there are 2 good teams in the city.  BTW, I remember last year everyone on here saying that TU wouldn't finish in the upper half of the AAC, how did that prediction work out?  You guys quit hating on TU and win your CBI game tomorrow.

When looking at the brackets, I know there is no perfect way to draw it up, but it does bug me a little bit that Northern Iowa plays Wyoming and the winner of Boise State and Dayton plays Providence.  It is not quite as bad as some previous years when they have tried hard to matchup 2 non-Power 5 conference teams in order to eliminate as many non-Power 5 conference teams as early as possible.

One great example of that this year is in the women's NCAA bracket.  Princeton is 30-0 and has been awarded an 8 seed even though they are ranked 13th in the country.  They are matched up against Green Bay in a non-Power 5 conference team elimination game.  Then if they beat GB, they will play Maryland, a 1 seed, at Maryland, which in the women's bracket will clearly be the kiss of death.

The NCAA can complain that Princeton's strength of schedule is NOT good enough for them to deserve a higher seed, since they didn't play a single Top 25 RPI team, their best win is against a team ranked at 41 in the RPI, and most of their wins came against teams outside the "hallowed" Top 100 RPI teams.  However, Princeton has tried to schedule Top 25 type teams, but none of them will play Princeton, especially at home.  So they were forced to play 12 of their 16 non-conference games on the road.  They clearly deserve a much better seed and an opportunity to advance based on that stronger seed.

This is an example of how the strength of schedule argument is used to bully mid-major teams even though the "Haves" clearly know that it is nearly impossible for the "Have nots" to attain the type of strength of schedule that would meet their slanted criteria.  You can read more about this story here...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2015/03/17/princeton-perfect-season-ncaa-womens-basketball-tournament/24926147/

TU edges a decent Wm and Mary squad last night...70-67.....now the Golden Hurricane draw a really good Murray State team in round two....TheEagleman might actually watch that one if ESPN carries it...they probably will... :nerd:

Love all the TU talk on this board!  LOL at the post that claims TU was never on the bubble!  Seriously?  I guess this "Maniac" has an excuse to not keep up with bracket projections since ORU never has a chance for an at large bid.  Anyway I hope both Tulsa teams win this week 'cause I'm not ready for spring football yet!

I always keep up with the bracket projections.The chances were the same for both ORU and TU. Less than zero.

Can't believe that the committee wasn't impressed by TU keeping it close against SE Oklahoma.

Don't be in a big hurry for fall football either.

BTW, I remember last year everyone on here saying that TU wouldn't finish in the upper half of the AAC, how did that prediction work out?  You guys quit hating on TU and win your CBI game tomorrow.

Simple:  TU was who we thought they were, but the rest of the AAC was MUCH weaker than anticipated. 

Memphis, UConn, Cincy, and Central Florida all worse than expected, and lower half of league was awful. 

And the NCAA bracket bears that out:  you guys never imagined only two teams from your league would get picked, but truth be told it was almost a one-bidder.  Cincy was no lock until they won at the Reynolds Center, and even if TU had won that game, there's no guarantee they would have swapped places in the committee's eyes.  It would have just hurt the Bearcats.

TU simply filled a void in workman-like fashion, yet was still head and shoulders beneath actually-legitimate SMU.

So it appeared that SMU got hosed yesterday....not a good call there....and Baylor and Iowa State gone....UNC and ND were very lucky to advance....five 1 point games in the same day was an NCAA tournament first.....that's why they call it March Madness..... :nerd:

All 5 schools from Texas are one and done. The Big XII loses 3 teams from the get-go (Texas, Iowa State and Baylor). Okie State could make it 4 today. The AAC is lucky to have UC still breathing. Otherwise, that conference would have been gone on day one. Harvard and Wofford both should still be playing. This is why I think the mids and low majors get hosed by the selection committee.

I guess SMU wasn't that legitimate after all.

Purdue looked a lot like Cincy and the rest of the "better" AAC teams: great athletes, poor shooters, not enough beef in the paint. Cincy will get destroyed by Kentucky inside.

OT's prediction concerning UC/Kentucky is like money in the bank, count on it! Interesting that the UC/Kentucky game is in Louisville which is a very short drive for both schools. Not sure UK will get a favorable crowd any more than the Bearcats. It is a comfortable 1 1/2 hour drive for both teams.

Tulsa had many chances in their out of conference schedule and didn't take advantage of it . Just the way it goes. That conference will get better so they need to get much better to stay in the top half.

SMU had trouble scoring all year but the quality of their bigs just killed TU. That is the main difference in the 2 teams. Doesn't look much different on next years team either for TU.

SMU will be good as long as Larry Brown is there. Memphis and UCONN will both get better also.

Not surprised that Texas lost yesterday and Rick Barnes days are numbered there. Maybe Marshall from Wichita St that would be nice!

It is amazing what a good win in the post season can do for a program and sure hope ORU can keep it going. Saw Scott last week when I was in town with my daughter for a VB tourney and he is as nice as always and hope the best for the Golden Eagles!!

The TU basketball situation is going to be REALLY interesting to watch, over the next two years.

They graduate NO ONE this year, as they have 8 junior's on this years roster. All of which play/contribute.

Then, after next year, they basically lose their entire team (8 seniors).