Selection Sunday

Old Titan

*sigh*

Remember when (as recently as 4 years ago) Selection Sunday actually meant something to ORU?

Hundreds of fans assembled in the Mabee Center to see the bracket announced on the big screen, with ticket and travel info to follow?

Local media representatives all mulling about with notepads and cameras?

Social media campaigning at a national level to promote ORU's bubble status?

Is it just me, or does it feel like that was an entirely different PROGRAM, in every sense of the word?

There certainly was a vibe around ORU basketball "way back" then.

Now, the pulse feels like it's almost flat-lined (unless you count how many times this weekend the win over TU has been described as "a horrible loss" that will keep the Golden Hurricane from making the tournament this year). :doh:

• Upvote 1

keeping TU out of the big dance is the only silver lining today. 

i wonder if the player who thought the game was not as important to TU is re-thinking that today. :eagles:

• Upvote 2

Now, the pulse feels like it's almost flat-lined (unless you count how many times this weekend the win over TU has been described as "a horrible loss" that will keep the Golden Hurricane from making the tournament this year). :doh:

Here's a classic example from Yahoo Sports, describing Tulsa's resume:

The bad losses? A horrendous season-opening loss to Oral Roberts and a baffling loss to Division II Southeastern Oklahoma State.

Certainly makes it sound like the ORU loss was worse than the D2.  Ugghh.

I feel kinda bad for TU, for some reason...

...until I think back to the times in the '70's when really mediocre Golden Hurricane teams knocked really good ORU squads out of the NCAA tournament one season, and completely out of postseason play the next, with late-season upsets in the Mayor's Cup game.

I honestly wonder if Frank Haith and the powers that be at TU will try really hard this summer to get out of the contract with ORU, in the aftermath of their NCAA snub this year.  A loss to ORU in ANY season in the AAC is bound to be used against them during at-large NCAA discussions in March.

They must truly be questioning the wisdom of annually playing a sub-100 RPI ORU, especially in front of half-empty arenas at 15th & Harvard and 81st & Lewis during the height of football season....

Losing to ORU did not keep us out of the NCAAs.  Not being able to get just 1 more quality win kept us out.  Believe it or not, I hope the TU/ORU series continues.  We just have to start beating you guys again.  ORU needs to step it up because the program does seem to be slipping a bit and as a TU fan, you want ORU to be good so that win or lose the game doesn't kill your RPI.  You guys should be expecting more from your program than being happy with seeing ORU mentioned on ESPN as a bad loss for TU.  Hopefully both teams will be good next year and TU comes out with a hard earned W.

*sigh*

Remember when (as recently as 4 years ago) Selection Sunday actually meant something to ORU?

Hundreds of fans assembled in the Mabee Center to see the bracket announced on the big screen, with ticket and travel info to follow?

Local media representatives all mulling about with notepads and cameras?

Social media campaigning at a national level to promote ORU's bubble status?

Is it just me, or does it feel like that was an entirely different PROGRAM, in every sense of the word?

There certainly was a vibe around ORU basketball "way back" then.

Great post

It does feel like a different program. It also feels like nothing is going to change anytime soon. Apathy setting in...

• Upvote 1

Sorry but losing to ORU is no disgrace for TU...in fact, at that point we WERE the better team....albeit mid-November....frankly, TheEagleman thought that TU deserved to get in....but that loss to the D-II school back in December was the killer....Temple from that league also should have gotten a bid...but every year a couple of teams get screwed....look for TU to be dangerous in the NIT instead of one and done in the NCAA..... :nerd:

What's worse: not getting a CIT invite this year, OR turning one down but not announcing that's what you did?

Did the players not want to play? Or did they, but the coach's didn't? Or, did they ALL want to play, but the folks on the hill forbade it for budget reasons?

Who knows.

Once again I am left scratching my head when it comes to this program.

And TUPond, how in God's green earth you can take anything that's been written in this thread as somehow being "happy" about getting mentioned on national TV as a "TU bad loss" is frankly beyond me.

The level of measurable frustration and angst among ORU fans right now is unprecedented in the digital "message board" age.

All you have to do is read it.

• Upvote 1

Either the program thinks it's too big to play in CIT.....or the program has sunk to level where a CIT bid doesn't even come?.........

Based upon who got into the CIT, I find it hard to believe we were not offered a bid. I know other programs turned down bids, perhaps we did as well and no one is saying. I would think that if IPFW got a bid, we did as well.

The CBI is still selecting, and the teams that are in so far are definitely in ORU's RPI range.  And, they need an opponent to play Louisiana-Monroe.  Regional opportunity???

Never mind - Eastern Michigan is traveling to ULM.

Teams confirmed so far (and RPI):

Loyola 123

ULM 131

E Michigan 136

Rider 139

Hofstra 174

Vermont 204

Mercer 212

ORU at 164 would be a good fit!

Winner of UCSB - ORU plays the winner of Rider and Loyola-Chicago.

Who woulda thunk it - upgraded to the CBI and a home game...

Crazy...

LOL - spent the last few minutes writing another Debbie Downer post lamenting ORU not accepting a CIT bid, only to find out after I posted it that they're in the more prestigious CBI instead?

I feel like Emily Latella: "Never mind!"

Stunned that ORU is hosting a CBI game.

Wonder what the price tag was to host?

Wonder who's paying it?

Wow! Expect a Miracle!! I guess credit goes to all involved in making this happen......I can see this team winning the whole thing and using it as a springboard to getting back to the Big Dance next season! ORU March Madness begins Wednesday, baby! It's awesome!

Glad to see the guys get another chance to play - and a home game is a bonus.  Don't know how many will show up at the Magnificent Mabee Center on Wednesday (Spring Break and all), but it's still a nice extension to the season.