ORU vs. NDSU rd 2

theeagleman5

Why I love Hax, subtly asking Coach about the talent level needed to win up here in Sioux Falls

We addressed it in the fall and we need to go get a couple more guys this spring

We have two seniors leaving - as well as Drew Wilson, who already left. Billbury is a question mark, although my hunch is that he will be back. With four signees from the Spring and possibly (per hints from Sutton) two more recruits, that means three current players will not be returning.

Soooo proud of the way our guys battled all night. After being down for a significant  part of the game, I was pleasantly surprised to see that we kept fighting our way back. I can't say that tenacity has always been a hallmark with our teams. Frankly, our lack luster and undisciplined play at times has caused me to be disillusioned with the basketball program for the past few seasons. I don't expect our teams to win every game or even to always be the most talented in the conference, but I don't think it's too much to ask for them to consistently play hard and tough. Even though we didn't win tonight, the team's performance in this game has made me the proudest ORU fan I've been in a long time. :clap:  Hats off to NDSU. They have some good players and their coach was a class act in the post game interview. I look forward to re-kindling some old rivalries in the Summit next year, to the influx in talent that was mentioned in one of the post above, to doing more to support the program next year, and hopefully to seeing our team build on the physical and mental toughness we saw at the end of this season. 

#TrueBlueORU

• Upvote 1

Think we go JUCO for the guys this spring?

Well let's hope so! This team has a long way to go and as much as Sutton has touted his under performing freshmen the last few years, I hope he's not counting on those guys being the ones who "make us better". 

For those of you complaining about the diminishing student participation don't count on that getting better until the product on the court gets better.

Time for some wings.  :fubar:

Actually, I think a postseason bid is likely for ORU. At 18-14 with an RPI of 162, there were 23 teams last year that were invited to the CBI, CIT or NIT with a worse RPI. Also, the Summit got two teams into the CIT - IPFW at 24-10/115 and Omaha at 16-14/219. I believe SDSU, NDSU and ORU will all still be playing next week. That is, of course, if we are willing to make the financial commitment.

After the Billbury incident I was glad to see how the team responded.  Granted the win over IUPUI in the Tourney was anything but a great game.  However, the team could have folded and lost out after Korey was suspended.  They did not fold.  As Coach Sutton intimated during his post-game comments last night, it would be nice to see this team get a shot at another game or two or three or four or whatever this year.  I think it would be a good opportunity to experiment with all of the players and see if anyone else elevates their level of play.  It would help in evaluating who stays and who goes before next year. 

TheEagleman had company last night but was able to watch some of it off and on....a tough 60-56 loss...another low scoring poor shooting game...heck, we got it tied with under 2 minutes to play at 56 but couldn't score the rest of the way...not gonna win many games shooting 1-10 in the final 4+ minutes.....and Obi had 25 points but shot 7-25 from the floor...ouch....actually the game was closer than I expected....we played hard for 40 minutes but just not enough horses....losing Billbury was huge....I hope the kid comes back for his senior year..... :nerd:

We have two seniors leaving - as well as Drew Wilson, who already left. Billbury is a question mark, although my hunch is that he will be back. With four signees from the Spring and possibly (per hints from Sutton) two more recruits, that means three current players will not be returning.

assuming the recent past is an indicator, at least one of the 4 fall signees won't qualify.  so it might only be 1 or 2 current players that will be moving on depending on Korey.  if Korey is reinstated, it might be interesting to see him in the 6th man role.  that would allow you to establish Obi in the first 4 or 5 minutes and then bring in Korey's athleticism and toughness at the first media break.  he'd still get his minutes, but in a different way.

we know they have offered forward Chima Moneke at NECC -- that might help with the loss of Henderson's points, shot blocking, and rebounding, although based on pictures he looks like he is built more like Conley.

gp pts/g fg % 3pt % ft %  reb/g  a/g

30 17.0   57.7  35.0  70.3  12.1     1.7

Sorry to "call you out" WingMan, but your post about student support not improving, until the product improves is TOTAL GARBAGE.

Even in our "down year", we win 18 games, finish 3rd in the conference, beat TU, Missouri State, New Mexico State, & Wisconsin-Milwaukee. We play in a beautiful on-campus arena, where the students get good seats, and if that isn't enough...they (both men & women's teams) wear YOUR school's name on the front of their jerseys. To say you need to see "improvement", before the students will support it makes me sick.

And besides all of that, the basketball games are the ONE EVENT on the ORU campus that garners the attention of the community and media. It's the one chance that we have an opportunity for the city of Tulsa and the national audience on TV/ESPN3 to showcase Oral Roberts University.  

• Upvote 2

+1 for Voice!........ :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry to "call you out" WingMan, but your post about student support not improving, until the product improves is TOTAL GARBAGE.

Even in our "down year", we win 18 games, finish 3rd in the conference, beat TU, Missouri State, New Mexico State, & Wisconsin-Milwaukee. We play in a beautiful on-campus arena, where the students get good seats, and if that isn't enough...they (both men & women's teams) wear YOUR school's name on the front of their jerseys. To say you need to see "improvement", before the students will support it makes me sick.

And besides all of that, the basketball games are the ONE EVENT on the ORU campus that garners the attention of the community and media. It's the one chance that we have an opportunity for the city of Tulsa and the national audience on TV/ESPN3 to showcase Oral Roberts University.  

I don't disagree with you on the idea that students should still be involved but you're being way too idealistic and unaware if you think "we play in a beautiful on-campus arena..." is going to get butts in the seats. I wish it would but it's not going to. We are clearly not the only university dealing with this issue. College basketball as a whole is suffering. 

Actually, I think a postseason bid is likely for ORU. At 18-14 with an RPI of 162, there were 23 teams last year that were invited to the CBI, CIT or NIT with a worse RPI. Also, the Summit got two teams into the CIT - IPFW at 24-10/115 and Omaha at 16-14/219. I believe SDSU, NDSU and ORU will all still be playing next week. That is, of course, if we are willing to make the financial commitment.

No way ORU would pay the CBI tab for hosting a game, might not even want to foot the bill for traveling to a CBI or CIT road game.

Frankly, I'll be stunned if ORU plays in one of these tournamants.  Golden Eagles were running on fumes the past few games; coaching staff's time might be better spent on the recruiting trail, trying to find players over 175 pounds.

But, I suppose anything's possible, if one of these events needs bodies to fill out their dance card...

OT - I agree that a home game is not going to happen.  And, I'm only basing my optimism on a CIT/CBI bid based upon their prior history of taking teams with our "body of work", especially those that are in the Midwest (can match-up regionally east or west).  But, then the question is... do we accept it?  With the financial implications and a team worn down in recent weeks (as you stated), I'd be surprised if it would make sense for us.  But, Coach Sutton was definitely promoting further play in the post-game interview last night - and that the guys "deserved it" for not "packing it in" in the past three weeks. So, I'm basing my comments on his statements, assuming that he could work the financial end through his basketball budget.

BUT, that may have been the reaction of a Coach fifteen minutes after seeing your season come to an end in the final minute of a dogfight - and still wishing it hadn't ended.  When a couple of days have set in, he may determine that the guys aren't really interested in continuing on (they may want to have a REAL Spring Break next week!), or that Obi's condition could get worse with further play and he needs to "shut it down", or decide that it's time to focus on the future and move towards next year.

And, then again, the call may never come....

18-14 is not a bad record and despite our recent struggles the boys played hard up in Sioux Falls....TheEagleman thinks that it's highly possible that ORU gets a tournament bid as a road team.... :|

OT - I agree that a home game is not going to happen.  And, I'm only basing my optimism on a CIT/CBI bid based upon their prior history of taking teams with our "body of work", especially those that are in the Midwest (can match-up regionally east or west).  But, then the question is... do we accept it?  With the financial implications and a team worn down in recent weeks (as you stated), I'd be surprised if it would make sense for us.  But, Coach Sutton was definitely promoting further play in the post-game interview last night - and that the guys "deserved it" for not "packing it in" in the past three weeks. So, I'm basing my comments on his statements, assuming that he could work the financial end through his basketball budget.

BUT, that may have been the reaction of a Coach fifteen minutes after seeing your season come to an end in the final minute of a dogfight - and still wishing it hadn't ended.  When a couple of days have set in, he may determine that the guys aren't really interested in continuing on (they may want to have a REAL Spring Break next week!), or that Obi's condition could get worse with further play and he needs to "shut it down", or decide that it's time to focus on the future and move towards next year.

And, then again, the call may never come....

Or, it could be that you nailed it. :nerd:

Guess we'll know in a few days!