Vicky McIntyre

BlueGold

Summit Defensive Player of the Year and Newcomer of the Year but not Player of the Year?!  Pardon my french, but what the heck?

How can Vicky be leading the country in rebounding and be second in blocks per game and double doubles, and have set Summit records for rebounds in a season and in a game and not win Summit Player of the Year?

Ashley Luke of Western Illinois was honored as the Player of the Year.  She had a really good season and in any other season would be totally deserving.

To compare (taken from the Summit's release):

Luke- The junior forward is one of two players (Vicky is the other one) to average a double-double in league games. She averaged a league-best 22.5 points and 13.2 rebounds against league foes. She also grabbed an average of 5.9 offensive rebounds per game, which ranked first in the league.  

To note, her 22.5 points/gm is tops in league games but not her 13.2 rebounds/gm.  Vicky leads with 16.3 rebounds/gm in Summit play.  That sentence should've been written differently.

There are more stats to compare further down.

Vicky- The senior center currently ranks in the top-three in five categories nationally, including leading the way in rebounds per game (15.5) and defensive boards per game (11.1). In league games, McIntyre averaged 18.1 points, 16.3 rebounds and 4.3 blocks per contest. She became the first league player in six years to record a triple-double as she had 16 rebounds, 14 points and 10 blocks against Grand Canyon. 

(My additions, for emphasis)

McIntyre has also set a new Summit League single-season record for rebounds and a single-game record for rebounds with the 27 she had against Austin Peay in November.  She currently leads the Summit League in rebounding, blocks and double doubles.

Let's compare them in a few key stats, you know, the ones that people usually care about like FG%, FT%, rebounds, blocks and points per game:

Overall:
                FG%     FT%      Rebounds/gm      Blocks/gm      Points/gm
Vicky        51.8      80.2      15.5                      4.5                15.4
Luke        50.7      73.1       11.4                     1.1                 19.7

Summit League games only:

FG%     FT%      Rebounds/gm      Blocks/gm      Points/gm
Vicky        55.0      79.7      16.3                      4.3                 18.1
Luke         50.8      76.1      13.2                      0.7                 22.5

Maybe points are sexier, but what about a player's full body of work?  And which player had a greater contribution to her team's success?  I may be biased but I do know without a doubt that we wouldn't have finished with 15 wins and 9 league wins and beaten Western Illinois twice and finished ahead of them in the league (granted, by a tiebreaker but still) without Vicky.

Anyway, congratulations to both.

Looks like the voters were fixated on points. Interesting that we beat Western twice. Let's make some noise in the conference tournament - maybe Vicky will use this as motivation to show how wrong they were. She is a special player.

The Tulsa World agrees that perhaps Vicky was "snubbed."

I agree with ORUTerry--let's go all out in the tournament and win some games!!

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty, I would say the team record would probably play a huge factor in this.  Doesn't this award typically go to the best player on the best team and not the best player on a bottom tier team?  No disrespect to Vicky, she had a great year but she did it on a mediocre team